Talk

Advanced search

To think parking across someone's driveway is bloody rude?

(8 Posts)
imwithspud Fri 26-Jun-15 10:37:42

There is currently a van parked across my driveway, they are doing some work on a neighbours front garden a few doors down by the looks of things and have a few vehicles parked along the road side. It's not an issue at the moment but it will be in about an hour if it's still there when I go out, of course if the van is still parked there I'll be asking telling them to move it.

But isn't it a bit rude to park across someone's drive when you're not visiting/doing work on that particular property? There are other places along the road where the van could be parked although it would mean they would have to walk further. I'm a bit of a grump today so AIBU?

HSMMaCM Fri 26-Jun-15 10:41:20

YANBU - that's all I have to say grin

Pangurban Fri 26-Jun-15 10:42:18

I think if you have a vehicle on the drive they are not allowed to prevent you getting onto the road.

It's awful to block someone in. Maybe it's a case of they think they're only going to be two ticks.

ThreeLeggedHaggis Fri 26-Jun-15 10:42:58

YANBU. Our neighbours are having some work done and the van keeps parking right on the corner of the street, so when you're turning into it at a 90 degree angle you can't see what's coming. They're too lazy to park somewhere less dangerous and walk an extra 10 feet.

imwithspud Fri 26-Jun-15 10:44:24

Could be Pangurban, but they have a little digger type thing and it looks like quite a big job they're doing so I'd imagine they'll be there a few hours at least.

Woobeedoo Fri 26-Jun-15 11:58:15

My next but one has two friends who treat my driveway as the clear bit of road they can park on despite the whole opposite side of the road being empty. They are plain lazy and I have had many words with them about it.

You cannot block someone's car in on their driveway but if the driveway is empty, it can be parked across as the means of escape (of the car on the drive) is not being blocked. This also applies to driveways where the kerb hasn't been dropped so a kicker to all those who paid the fee to the council for their legal driveway.

amicissimma Fri 26-Jun-15 12:25:28

It's illegal to block you in, but if you are not using your driveway I don't think it's reasonable to 'reserve' the bit of road across it, specially if there is a shortage of parking spaces.

It's polite to park elsewhere if there is space available, though.

IrianofWay Fri 26-Jun-15 12:28:07

No YANBU. But it might be that they needed to park closer to carry equipment. If you ask them to move and they do so quickly and with an apology I wouldn't worry about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now