Advanced search

Is there a higher authority than HMRC that I can complain to?

(17 Posts)
Ghostlife Thu 25-Jun-15 21:12:02

That's it really....

PourMyselfACupOfAmbition Thu 25-Jun-15 21:14:26

Don't think so, the VAT man has more powers than the police.

Aside from that, what's your complaint?

MrsHenryMountbattenWindsor Thu 25-Jun-15 21:15:31

You don't like giving away much information, do you Ghost hmm

I don't know the answer. But I do know if you piss them off they won't think twice about bankrupting you.

FloraPost Thu 25-Jun-15 21:18:54

Yes; the Parliamentary Ombudsman.

Ghostlife Thu 25-Jun-15 21:20:06

I phoned HMRC in Feb to ask if I would still get child tax credits if my son took up the offer of a scholarship in a non - EU country. I was told I would. I need the child tax credits to pay towards his food a lodgings. I have now been told I have to wait 22 days for a reply which means he will lose his school place...

indieblack Thu 25-Jun-15 21:20:42

Yes. The Parliamentary and Health Ombudsman

You need to have exhausted the HMRC complaints process first but they take on lots of tax complaints.

yellowcurtains Thu 25-Jun-15 21:22:37

Only God.
HMRC are a law unto themselves. You know- they can take money from people's accounts, even by mistake, and the onus is on the citizen to prove the error and claim back the money. I really don't think you'll be entitled to a quicker reply from the tax credit people, going by what I have read in the past on MN.

Ghostlife Thu 25-Jun-15 21:25:08

But their employee told me it would be ok and I have asked them to listen to the recording. If he had said I needed to get it referred I would have done it ages ago. It only came up as I was renewing my child tax credits

drspouse Thu 25-Jun-15 21:25:27

The Adjudicator's Office.

woowoo22 Thu 25-Jun-15 21:31:47

Contact your MP.

SwedishEdith Thu 25-Jun-15 21:37:43

What country is it - can you say?

Info here but you've probably read it

Ghostlife Thu 25-Jun-15 22:02:58

Not an EEA country unfortunately. Am I unreasonable to expect them to give me an answer straight away instead of putting my son at the end of the pile and therefore having to wait 22 days considering we are in this position due to wrong advice from an HMRC employee in February?

ghostyslovesheep Thu 25-Jun-15 22:15:54

maybe cut back elsewhere to pay food and lodging?

why will he loose the place in 22 days - just explain to the school

you may not have been given the wrong information - it's a PITTA but if you can't afford for him to go he can do the IB here for free x

TwoAndTwoEqualsChaos Thu 25-Jun-15 22:16:05

Sounds like the sort of case for an MP.

Viviennemary Thu 25-Jun-15 22:21:33

It's annoying you have been given the wrong information. I wonder if it has something to do with the age of your son. And it could depend on how much the scholarship is worth.

olgaga Thu 25-Jun-15 22:22:28

Yes I would write to your MP, outline the problem and ask for an urgent meeting with her/him or their caseworker.

Make sure you have an indexed copy of all relevant documentation to hand over.

Speak to your bank about getting an overdraft if necessary to tide you over.

These things ate never resolved quickly, in addition HMRC staff have been significantly reduced.

Ghostlife Thu 25-Jun-15 22:37:44

Unfortunately I cannot get any more money together as money for flight was a struggle. After the conversation in February I became committed and I have had to borrow the money for the first terms food and lodging contribution.

What I am most upset about is the incorrect information and their refusal to try to put this right in time. They have a note on my file that I contacted them in February.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: