Talk

Advanced search

airport bus return price put up to 24 pounds in order to keep it free for every pensioner

(15 Posts)
pricedoutofbus Thu 25-Jun-15 20:32:38

I understand the bus pass is vital for many poor pensioners that use it a lot to get about and volunteer.

However the airport is special premium bus and it is also free for pensioners. I have a bus pass with the same company that runs the airport bus and pay them thousands each year but my bus pass isn't valid on the serivce. They have just increased the price partly due to the sub they receive from the goverent being reduced. The types of pensioners that use the airport bus do seam to be way way more affluent than the normal bus.

Aibu to think its ridiculous that my bus pass with the company isn't valid and all fare payers are being made to sub the pensioners?

snowglobemouse Thu 25-Jun-15 20:41:32

idk have you got a link I can read?

also why have you nc?

AnyoneForTennis Thu 25-Jun-15 20:43:10

Did they actually say the price has been put up in order for the bus to remain free for pensioners? Or are you just assuming?

AnyoneForTennis Thu 25-Jun-15 20:44:44

Oh wait, is this a 'new to mumsnet' goady thread?

crustsaway Thu 25-Jun-15 20:44:53

Not sure you make sense OP?

ilovesooty Thu 25-Jun-15 21:05:26

"pricedoutofbus" - isn't that a bit of an exaggeration? Are you really saying that those pesky pensioners are stopping you using the bus to the airport?

ScrambledEggAndToast Thu 25-Jun-15 21:11:12

That's a lot of money. Where i live in the South West, it's £7 for a return to the airport for an adult. I actually get it for free though as I have a disabled persons bus bass.

sliceofsoup Thu 25-Jun-15 21:24:10

It is a bit mad if pensioners are getting a free bus to the airport to swan off on holiday. If you can afford a fucking holiday...

But I get the feeling OP is just assuming this is the reason for the price hike. So YABU.

PinkSquash Thu 25-Jun-15 21:28:15

If you're going to NC for this, at least tell us which bus company this is with.

MythicalKings Thu 25-Jun-15 21:30:02

It seems it's time for another baby boomer bashing thread.

Link?

JeanSeberg Thu 25-Jun-15 21:30:02

How much was it pre-increase?

CrystalCove Thu 25-Jun-15 21:30:30

Youve missed a vital piece of information - what was it before, a couple pounds increase doesn't seem so bad for example. Plus are you just assuming all this??

ilovechristmas1 Thu 25-Jun-15 21:33:40

i do think YANBU

if you can afford a holiday abroad im sure you can afford the cost of the transport their,regardless of age etc

i say this a someone who has free bus pass from my local council due to my disability,

AnyoneForTennis Thu 25-Jun-15 21:34:57

Where's op? Not that bothered then...

bustraintram Thu 25-Jun-15 21:42:42

This does sound plausible. The reimbursement per passenger that bus operators receive for taking free pass holders is a percentage (less than 100%) of the average cash fare for the route. By increasing the cash fare, the company in effect forces the council to pay more money. This is often essential for the survival of the route and it occurs because operators receive less than the equivalent fare for free pass holders.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now