Talk

Advanced search

To expect DH to stay awake on my birthday?

(21 Posts)
krisskross Thu 25-Jun-15 19:07:14

It was my birthday. DH booked lunch for the two of us, we had a nice walk and collected DC from school and had a small family bbq. I dropped my dad home and he did DC bedtime.

When I got home about 845 we sat on the sofa and he promptly fell asleep.

This really passed me off. He got me some nice gifts, though main present was something I'd returned the week before as it was too small....he bought me the right size ( basically I would have got myself it).

He mentioned a night away then said there wouldn't be a chance before my DP go on hols (they would babysit) and he did not plan a night out or anything....and as I say

krisskross Thu 25-Jun-15 19:08:14

Oops sent too soon. And as I say he fell asleep .

Tonight he is out with friends.

Aibu?

TheHouseOnBellSt Thu 25-Jun-15 19:08:36

Yabu. He must be tired! You've had a nice day...I'm not sure why you'd expect him to stay awake.

msgrinch Thu 25-Jun-15 19:17:34

yabu you've had a thoughtful lovely birthday.

Bellebella Thu 25-Jun-15 19:19:17

Bloody hell you had a really nice day, he took you for lunch got some thoughtful gifts, what more do you want?

He was obviously tired.

Ragwort Thu 25-Jun-15 19:19:52

Sounds a lovely day - what were you expecting? confused

GlitzAndGigglesx Thu 25-Jun-15 19:20:11

I was expecting to read he fell asleep midday without so much as giving you a card. I think yabu

Spog Thu 25-Jun-15 19:20:43

YABU.
and a teeny bit ungrateful.

woowoo22 Thu 25-Jun-15 19:20:47

YABU

JeanSeberg Thu 25-Jun-15 19:23:31

Jesus there's no pleasing you is there? He took a day off work, nice lunch, nice presents, family tea, night away to look forward to...

Get a grip.

krisskross Thu 25-Jun-15 19:27:38

Oh! I thought he was...I'll go with the MN consensus then and stop grumbling.

treeshine Thu 25-Jun-15 19:29:02

YABU how old are you 7?!? You sound ungrateful and ridiculously high maintenence. Poor man.

CrystalHaze Thu 25-Jun-15 19:30:42

Falling asleep can't be classed as unreasonable, can it? It's something that happens when people are tired, not something they do on purpose or out of thoughtlessness.

PerfectlyPosed Thu 25-Jun-15 19:32:12

Is he supposed to be awake for the full 24 hours of your birthday? Sounds like you had a busy day and he was tired. YABU

PerfectlyPosed Thu 25-Jun-15 19:32:29

But happy birthday anyway!

CrystalHaze Thu 25-Jun-15 19:32:44

"He got me some nice gifts, though main present was something I'd returned the week before as it was too small....he bought me the right size (*basically I would have got myself it).*

hmm

msgrinch Thu 25-Jun-15 19:34:53

op imagine If a woman posted on here:

it was dh birthday today, I arranged a lunch for two and we went for a romantic walk before getting the dc, I got him some presents I know he'd like. In fact he brought won the other day but returned it! After we picked the kids up I did a bbq for the family and popped the kids to bed so he could relax. The problem is when we finally sat down together I fell asleep, he's grumpy with me now. I arranged a weekend away for when my parents can babysit but couldn't do it just now. yet he's still grumpy. aibu to think I gave him a nice celebration"

Zebda Thu 25-Jun-15 19:35:36

Happy bday OP flowers

Yes the man seems tired, does he do the fall asleep the minute he gets a chance thing often?

I have a DH who falls asleep at EVERY opportunity, often leaving me alone most evenings/with DC on weekend etc and it gets annoying...

Tizwailor Thu 25-Jun-15 19:51:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WinterOfOurDiscountTents15 Thu 25-Jun-15 19:53:40

Presents, lunch, walk, family bbq, bedtimes done....not enough for you?

Poor man, no wonder he fell asleep. Are you always that demanding?

Gruntfuttock Thu 25-Jun-15 20:07:54

Happy birthday, OP. Your husband did the best he could to make your birthday a good one. Unfortunately he committed the apparently unforgiveable sin of being so tired that he fell asleep. I suppose you're expecting umpteen posts telling you to 'LTB'. I'm sorry to break it to you, but you appear to have married a human being. You know, one of those vile creatures who dare to get tired on their spouse's birthday. Oh dear, what a shame that his behaviour doesn't meet your high standards.

Good luck in finding someone who will do even more for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now