Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to report this

(7 Posts)
CarolPeletier Thu 25-Jun-15 18:38:12

Background: a family I know which are a little odd - I hate describing them like that, but they are. Father appears to have little social awareness although has always been nice enough. My daughter is friends with their daughter, who has minor learning disabilities. There is an older sister who plays with my daughter also. Mother appears to have low self esteem, appears 'dirty' and smells and is shy, children are immaculate. Mother raised some eyebrows recently by smoking just outside the school gate throughout her pregnancy, child was premature with breathing problems. I keep a distance of Hello's and nods with the parents but chat frequently with the daughters and have them over for play dates. I try not to be judgey, unlike other parents at the school gate, the girls are lovely!

Concerns: firstly, another parent spoke to me at a party about the older child being inappropriate with her husband. Stroking his arm, telling him he is handsome etc. She is 9. I didn't really know what to make of it and hoped it was just a minor crush....

Today at the school gate while waiting to go in (mother was in car) younger child (6) told me she had a bumped head. Older child said the step dad pushed her. I asked if he really did and she said yes and then looked mortified and ran off.

What do I do with this? Who do I contact? SS? School? Mother? Help please!

CoogerAndDark Thu 25-Jun-15 18:40:06

I would tell the school about the bumped head and allegation she was pushed by her step dad.

PHANTOMnamechanger Thu 25-Jun-15 18:41:57

I'd talk to the school, about both the sexualised behaviour AND the bumped head - it is then up to them to refer, in the light of what else they know about the family, or to watch and wait and gather more info.

Whichseason Thu 25-Jun-15 18:42:48

Ring the nspcc and ask them.

If in doubt about a child's safety YAbu not to get professional advice.

MamaLazarou Thu 25-Jun-15 18:59:11

Can you make friends with the mum?

crustsaway Thu 25-Jun-15 19:04:22

Tell the school.

logicalfallacy101 Thu 25-Jun-15 19:26:52

I just found out last week from my youngest Dd that a friend of hers from primary whom I had concerns about actually fathered a child to her step father. I was shock. Go with your gut instinct on this. I wish I had 21yrs ago.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now