Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To ask what your attitude to money is?

(92 Posts)
elderflowerlemonade Thu 25-Jun-15 18:07:01

Are you a saver or a spender? Are you good with money or living from one pay day to the next?

I'm a bit rubbish with finances while DH is very good.

TravellingToad Thu 25-Jun-15 18:11:55

Yanbu. Ask away!

EatShitDerek Thu 25-Jun-15 18:12:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

keeptothewhiteline Thu 25-Jun-15 18:13:12

I have been terrible for a long time- now I am great, a real saver.

keeptothewhiteline Thu 25-Jun-15 18:13:52

I don't even notice when payday comes.

TinyManticore Thu 25-Jun-15 18:17:29

I try to save money but then run out of useable money and spend the savings. Totally shite, in other words.

StrawberryMouse Thu 25-Jun-15 18:18:13

I pay the bills and enjoy the rest. I'm generous and a spendthrift when I can afford to be. ��

lljkk Thu 25-Jun-15 18:18:47

My instincts are to be anorexic with money but I've trained myself to spend it. It's like pulling teeth to persuade myself to buy anything nice for me. I try to tell myself it's good for the economy & secures employment for others.

Logically I know we;re financially comfortable & don't need to worry as long as we're sensible.

MyballsareSandy Thu 25-Jun-15 18:19:11

I'm crap with money, DH is much more careful. But he leaves all the finances to me, hence a big barney last weekend when he found out I'd spent £5K of our savings.

Ragwort Thu 25-Jun-15 18:19:43

Saver and pretty frugal grin - but I have been very fortunate over the years (buying and selling property at the right time etc) and am lucky, and very grateful, to be in such a comfortable place now.

And I am not going to say 'it was all down to hard work' - because a lot of it was pure luck.

Magmatic80 Thu 25-Jun-15 18:19:45

I was terrible until about 3 years ago when I suddenly got a new job with a £4k payrise in a city away from my friends. I could afford to spend most of my salary paying off debts as I didn't do anything except work, and just walked around my new city alone on days off. V cheap! Now I am in the black, on each payday I save a bit each month towards holidays, a bit in proper savings and the rest of 'disposable' income goes in instant access savings so I can drip feed into my current account. It seems to help me reign in spending.

Internet banking is also my saviour as I go on most days and am aware to the pound how much I have left at all times. I am still down to my last £10 every payday, but I have managed to save some too so I feel ok about it.

elderflowerlemonade Thu 25-Jun-15 18:21:37

I often wonder if it's something that's learned in your adolescence.

I would say I am a focused spender and saver. I see money as a tool to be used to acheive things so I will budget for holidays and days out because I like them but wouldn't spend money on a designer handbag because it doesn't do anything for me. I pay school fees for my DC but don't have a flash car because I commute on public transport and mainly use the car to pop the supermarket. I save for specific goals long and short term and dislike frittering money away because it stops me using it for things that I enjoy more (e.g. I make my own tea in work rather than buying it but I would be happy to spend the money saved in going out for a family meal).

formidable Thu 25-Jun-15 18:30:51

Saver, generally. I don't spend what I don't have, and usually have a cushion in the bank.

However, I am also helped out by parents which obviously helps enormously. Also about to take on a new, better paid, job.

So we're pretty comfortable at the moment but I'm still careful. My monthly outgoings aren't huge.

Apatite1 Thu 25-Jun-15 18:30:58

We are both excellent savers, putting away at least 70-80% of take home pay every month but we still spend enough to eat well, have expensive hobbies, holidays etc so can't say we are very frugal. I move money into savings account on payday so it's off limits and I can't waste it on another handbag

Spamminit Thu 25-Jun-15 18:32:13

I've never been too bad with money. Never flush but have had enough for rent, bills and shopping and a few quid spare but then I finished uni and became a SAHM and it is all downhill from there! DH earns a reasonable wage but it shite with money, I do my beat to budget with what's left but it's never enough sad So besides confiscating his bank card I can't really do much. In summary shite with money!

Spamminit Thu 25-Jun-15 18:33:48

Wow my post is littered with spelling mistakes. I am literate, honest!

stevienickstophat Thu 25-Jun-15 18:34:21

Fucking awful. You wouldn't believe what I've wasted. Seriously.

I actually think I hate the bloody stuff, I seem to want to actively throw it away.

elderflowerlemonade Thu 25-Jun-15 18:35:01

I sometimes feel I am like that stevie

Strokethefurrywall Thu 25-Jun-15 18:37:23

Used to be a spender, got into debt, worked my arse off to get out of debt, now have a salary 10 times that of 5 years ago and am so debt averse that we avoid it and are overpaying on our mortgage to get rid.

For me it wasn't something learned in adolescence, more something learned from clawing my way out a black hole of debt and the amazing feeling of looking at my account and seeing positive numbers instead of negative numbers.

Even with very healthy salaries, both DH and I live pretty frugally.

formidable Thu 25-Jun-15 18:37:28

What do you spend it on Stevie?

DarkHeart Thu 25-Jun-15 18:38:00

Me too Stevie

SpecificOcean Thu 25-Jun-15 18:52:45

Both spenders and savers. We spend loads on going out, eating out and holidays, we are not frugal with food shopping, have a new car every few years, gadgets and a big house that we like to keep warm and in good order but we save an equal amount to what we spend and have a tiny mortgage on our home and a rental with no mortgage plus pensions. Think it's quite balanced. Living now is as important as not being poverty stricken in old age.

SomewhereIBelong Thu 25-Jun-15 19:05:46

I am debt averse - comes from growing up dirt poor. We have no debt, are mortgage free, and have savings as well as "enough" money to not worry about spending what we want when we want to. (because neither of us are materialistic or spendthrifts)

Mumof4worriedfor Thu 25-Jun-15 19:07:56

I'm really good with money. Bought my first home a few years ago when turned 28 for cash in the south. Now work part time and have all the money I need as the best things in life are free.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now