Talk

Advanced search

to bawl my eyes out if I don't pass my driving test on Tuesday?

(29 Posts)
RedKite1985 Thu 25-Jun-15 16:56:14

I have so many cool weekends coming up that would be so much easier if I could drive! Camping etc.

arghhhhh!!!!! I wish you could "revise" at your test. I am driving every day but it only takes one little thing to fail. Harrumph

haveabreakhaveakitkat Thu 25-Jun-15 18:05:07

You're putting a lot of pressure on yourself to pass. It would be brilliant to pass but it's not like you only get one shot at it. Try and relax about it. Best of luck! flowers

GotToFTFO Thu 25-Jun-15 18:30:57

I have my test soon too and I only drive 1.5hr a week .
I just keep telling myself that it is just a drive and If I do fail then it is for a valid reason and I will pass eventually.

I'm trying to not feel pressure but my business would massively benefit if I was driving.

TremoloGreen Thu 25-Jun-15 20:24:03

I know it's hard but like others have said, don't place so much importance on one test. I've failed twice now, last time I was gutted because it was the last chance before we moved out of London, and it's crap not being able to drive here. My nerves were through the roof because it felt so important to me. Now I'm here, it's fine. I've got a test next week, it will be great if I pass, but if I don't, nothing bad will happen, things will just stay the same.

RedKite1985 Fri 26-Jun-15 12:00:33

My morning commute is just so terrible though, Hour and a half on bus each way, compared to 30 mins eachway if I drive, argh

Branleuse Fri 26-Jun-15 12:02:38

It would certainly be great if you passed. How many attempts have you had?

DorothyBastard Fri 26-Jun-15 12:35:01

I have my test on Monday too, it will be test number 4...! I failed three times around 2.5 years ago and it's taken so much for me to rebuild my confidence and try again. I've been learning in an automatic this time and finally I feel like a good, safe driver. If I fail again I'll be devastated. Especially as I'm 30 weeks pregnant so if I don't pass it will be months until I can try again.

Branleuse Fri 26-Jun-15 12:49:48

I passed 7th time. Keep on going.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 26-Jun-15 12:54:25

I passed second time, it's hard but you really just need to see this test as a practice run and if you pass that's great but if not you can have another stab at it.

redpriestandmozart Fri 26-Jun-15 13:03:54

My daughter was in bits a few days before her test, she was in one constant panic attack. We thought we could change the date but it was too late so just explained to her yes she probably would fail in the state she was in but to go ahead and treat it as a practice. She calmed down knowing we all expected a fail (sounds awful but she preferred it that way) and as far as she was concerned it was just a practice run for the real thing. Took all the pressure off.. and she PASSED!

EdgarAllenPoe Fri 26-Jun-15 13:23:02

I passed 6th time. I was perfectly able, I just heaped pressure on myself and did stupid things as a result. So try not to add pressure to yourself. You can pass next time!

Ironically when I did finally pass, I was due to move abroad 3 days later, so it was a bit now or never (well not for another couple of years). But I think I just passed because I finally got my nerves under control.

RedKite1985 Fri 26-Jun-15 13:24:35

It will be my first test! Good luck Dorothy

Whathaveilost Fri 26-Jun-15 13:31:31

Actually it doesn't take 'one little thing' to fail.
You are allowed 15 minors.

DS had an hour with his instructor before the lesson just to calm him down and reassure hin.
Could you do that?

Good luck, life is so much easier and freer with a car.

KayAdams Fri 26-Jun-15 13:44:59

I passed my test on the 5th time and I was convinced I'd failed as I drove over a kerb when trying to go round a corner and I also had the rear windscreen wiper going full blast because I'd knocked it on and couldn't remember how to turn it off.

It all boils down to the mood the examiner is in on the day.

Good luck - take some Bach's Rescue Remedy pastilles and enjoy the experience xxxx

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 26-Jun-15 13:55:35

It really isn't down to the mood the examiner is in these days, you don't pass on their discretion, sadly , not like the good old days. As a pp said you have 15 minors so a lot of room for error.

TremoloGreen Fri 26-Jun-15 15:27:13

Just remember this (this is why I failed my last test, I only got one minor other than this!):

If the examiner says e.g., take the next left, and you don't slow down in time to turn, or don't get in the right lane, just carry on going straight. You don't fail for going the wrong direction, but you will if you do an unsafe manouver like slam on the brakes, or change lanes too quickly. Just say, sorry, I didn't see it in time and carry on. In my last test, I just couldn't override doing what the guy was telling me... but I would have passed if I had just gone straight on and not tried to make the turning!!

HeffaLumpers Fri 26-Jun-15 15:35:40

I just passed 4th time. It is more to do with your mental state not your driving ability. Don't worry about driving perfectly. You just need to not do anything silly or dangerous. Dont worry if you go the wrong way, they can't fail you for that. If it is safer to carry on the wrong way just keep going. Don't panic if things go wrong, if you make a mistake forget about it and keep going. There were a couple of moments on my test where I thought I had failed but I hadn't. If you fail, just book another one. Good luck.

Twoseventhsaweasley Fri 26-Jun-15 16:14:40

Dorothy- I passed my driving test when I was 38 weeks pregnant with my eldest. I think all of the hormones made me strangely relaxed.

Good luck to everyone who is taking a test soon. You just need a bit of luck for it to all come together on the day.

MrsGrimes Fri 26-Jun-15 16:22:50

For those who have failed, could you say what it was that you failed on? I have mine in 3 weeks. I don't feel nervous about it right now but I do really want to pass. DS starts school in September and without a car it will be a 15 min walk, a train then another 15 min walk. Then I'll be doing that to get back home, then same again in the afternoon. In a car it's less than a 10 min drive!

I can do all the manoeuvres, I can follow instructions and I feel that I'm a safe driver. My downfall is hesitating at roundabouts and going in the correct lane on roundabouts sometimes. There are two huge roundabouts which are both on test routes and I practise them everytime. Sometimes I'm great, sometimes I'm not. When I see a roundabout I think, "Ugh, great..."

Good luck OP! It's hard not to put pressure in yourself.

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 26-Jun-15 16:27:17

Good luck. I was so nervous I was physically shaking. was sure I'd failed after I left it in gear and stalled when.i was asked to pull over.

but passed first time. If I can then you sure as hell can

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 26-Jun-15 16:32:49

Mrs Grimes - no minors but one major - we were in a one way street and was asked to turn right and I stayed in the left lane. Was gutted as I was only 2 mins from test centre and had driven fine until then. Passed a month later though.

MrsGrimes Fri 26-Jun-15 16:38:06

Oh no Dame that's so annoying! You were so close.

I think the thing that worries me (sorry, don't mean to take over OP!) is being without my instructor! We've recently started to treat every lesson like a test, so I follow basic instructions and do some independant driving. But he'll still step in and prompt me if I need it, like "What lane should we be in? What speed is this road?", the sort of things I should know myself but sometimes miss. On the test it will just be me! If I go in the wrong lane then it's my fault. Obviously I should just pay more attention! I just mean I have that fallback of my instructor at the moment.

Notasinglefuckwasgiven Fri 26-Jun-15 16:44:01

Failed my bus test first time for undue hesitation. Second time went up expecting to fail and passed. Just drive and expect nothing. You can drive or your instructor would have postponed

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 26-Jun-15 16:45:25

The car broke down on my test. Talk about bad luck.

You'll be fine, OP flowers

RosesareSublime Fri 26-Jun-15 16:53:38

No, you DO NOT bawl eyes out.

You get back onto test center and keeping ringing for cancellation tests and you do so until you book another test and you keep going.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now