Talk

Advanced search

"What can I have now?"

(20 Posts)
PourquoiTuGachesTaVie Thu 25-Jun-15 16:07:02

Aibu or is this possibly the most annoying thing a child can say to you every 5 minutes of the day?

It doesn't matter if he has just eaten, turned his nose up at dinner and declared he isn't hungry (lies!), or if like today he has been vomiting and so restricted to toast, rice and apples.

"What can I have now?" Has officially become more annoying than the phase he went through of just saying "mum?" then ignoring me when I answered him.

youareallbonkers Thu 25-Jun-15 16:58:17

If he's been vomiting then he shouldn't be eating anything but if he is well enough to eat then should eat what he wants.

PourquoiTuGachesTaVie Thu 25-Jun-15 17:24:36

It's fine for a vomiting child to eat if they feel like eating. The BRAT diet is boring apparently, and he still wants to know what else there is. hmm

WorraLiberty Thu 25-Jun-15 17:28:58

Why would you feed a vomiting child?

I'd be giving him water only for now.

WorraLiberty Thu 25-Jun-15 17:30:47

Sorry, posted too soon.

Mine used to keep asking for things to eat when they were bored, so I'd tell them to find something to do.

CakeLady1 Thu 25-Jun-15 17:33:11

If the child is constantly vomiting, especially after eating, then get them checked for coeliacs. Simple blood test, tells you if gluten is the problem.

If it's one off vomiting, give them want ever they can manage to keep down.

If it's persistent, then perhaps the alternative is: "you may have what you didn't finish earlier" or is that too harsh?

PourquoiTuGachesTaVie Thu 25-Jun-15 17:34:04

Because he's hungry? It even says to feed them if they want food here:

www.nhs.uk/conditions/vomiting-children-babies/Pages/Introduction.aspx

CakeLady1 Thu 25-Jun-15 17:34:20

worra - good point - my mum used to say this constantly when she was comfort eating

PourquoiTuGachesTaVie Thu 25-Jun-15 17:35:14

Clearly misjudged the tone of my post. Should have put "lighthearted" in the title maybe?

Whyisitalwaysblue Thu 25-Jun-15 17:42:46

I totally agree with you lol. My two are always asking what they can have next!!!!!

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Thu 25-Jun-15 17:49:37

I don't know how old your son is, OP, but could you ask him what it is that he fancies? It might give you a bit of an idea as to what he's feeling like foodwise. I remember saying this sometimes when I was a kid, it's because what I was given didn't hit the spot. My mum would then suggest things and just the thought of them made me feel ill so eventually I would just quit it. I don't think it's boredom particularly, possibly hunger, possibly just out of sorts.

I didn't think the thread was lighthearted though, do you? Poor kid, not nice to feel sick.

WalterShite Thu 25-Jun-15 17:54:14

I was going to post this the other day!

Sometimes DS isn't even finished a meal before he wants the next thing.

He gets plenty to eat and has plenty to do so I find it hard to draw the line between hunger and greed.

RackofPeas Thu 25-Jun-15 18:03:01

Mine says 'I'm hungreeeeeee!'
Meaning - 'I want sweets!'
Will then moan he's not hungry when a meal arrives not long later.
If he's been vomiting, stick to dry carbs.

RabbitSaysWoof Thu 25-Jun-15 18:03:36

I think a nice variety of snacks makes this worse because in between meals are not as boring as actual meals. Offer the same cucumber slices or cream crackers every time you'll soon sort habit from hunger.

PourquoiTuGachesTaVie Thu 25-Jun-15 18:09:44

My focus was more on the fact that his demanding more or different food all the time (not just when he's sick) was driving me mad, rather than on the fact that he is ill. grin

If I ask what he wants I'm sure it will be endless requests for cake and sweets, at least it's not just my bottomless pit child grin

Thancred Thu 25-Jun-15 19:10:46

DS, 5yo, does this. Drives me up the wall with it. His latest is to eat his dinner and then ask for pudding, after dinner pudding is usually always yoghurt or fruit, he has started asking "can I have a ham sandwich?". He's disappointed that a ham sandwich is not an acceptable pudding choice. He's also disappointed that breakfast doesn't come with a pudding. When we were on holiday he asked for cake for pudding then asked for ice cream as a pudding to his cake.

Basically the boy likes pudding grin

MrsHathaway Thu 25-Jun-15 19:25:15

My 7yo does this. The only time he doesn't is when he's ill - it's a useful diagnostic tool. He is a beanpole and very active.

The 4yo does it too and with him it is boredom. He's much harder to deal with.

DJThreeDog Thu 25-Jun-15 19:39:47

Oh I hear you!

DSS is 14. My god but that kid can put it away - and has a seemingly endless capacity for junk food.

Not sure how we will survive once my other three boys grow up and we have three teeen boys in the house! grin

DJThreeDog Thu 25-Jun-15 19:40:40

And to answer your question grin he is asking about meal times from the second breakfast is over.

OurGlass Thu 25-Jun-15 19:57:03

I hear you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now