Advanced search

Anyone any good on payroll and incorrect tax codes?

(15 Posts)
Sazzle41 Thu 25-Jun-15 15:51:13

I've started a new job and they have put me on tax code BR for basic rate. I was doing a calculate your salary after tax app and found that i should have got �300 more in my pay if i had been on my normal tax code, not the BR one. I gave Payroll a P45 and P60 but they are saying its my job to ring their tax office. Only when i do that i get 'we are busy call back' (called 6times now). And when i asked you cant write or email? How the heck do i get the right tax code then and the money i lost on first pay cheque! I really need that money!

Newlywed2013 Thu 25-Jun-15 15:53:51

I had to phone HMRC and then it was adjusted and sorted out

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Thu 25-Jun-15 15:56:49

First, don't panic. You will get it back.

If you have handed in your p45 etc from the last job, the payroll dept should sort it all out.

But it may take a week or two.

As long as you have done all the papers they need, there shouldn't be a problem.

EvilTendency1 Thu 25-Jun-15 15:56:58

Either call them or you can do it all online. If you call before 10am you should get through ok.

If you gave them your P45 and assuming your on the 1060L and started your new job with your P45 on your first day / before the payroll deadline they should have kept you at that. angry

Bue Thu 25-Jun-15 15:58:07

I know it is enraging to ring HMRC and get that bloody stupid automated woman hanging up on you, but when you do eventually get through to someone they can sort it out for you in about 2 minutes flat. It is the best option. You can apply to change it online (there is a form) but honestly it is quicker and less hassle to ring. Try a less busy time of day.

BubGal13 Thu 25-Jun-15 16:30:10

OP had EXACTLY same situation as you recently, and £300 down too. I also tried calling them 4 times was cut off each time so then emailed them/went to website to fill out the incorrect tax code form, this did the trick. £600 credited to this months salary smile

Sazzle41 Thu 25-Jun-15 16:32:44

Thanks all. I got a politely corporate eff off from Payroll, she said it wasnt their job, so rang tax on offchance again and am currently on hold - which has been for last ... (checks clock)19minutes...... Aaargh, i am like Phoebe in friends when she refuses to give up being on hold !!

MaxPepsi Thu 25-Jun-15 16:33:38

Is your tax code wrong though or have your employee fucked up?

wafflyversatile Thu 25-Jun-15 16:35:19

What does your P45 say? You should still have one of the copies.

MaxPepsi Thu 25-Jun-15 16:36:32

*has and *employer

Sazzle41 Thu 25-Jun-15 16:36:37

BubGal thats cheered me up no end: i am doing the form as i am still on hold to them so if they dont answer in next 2mins the form is going instead !

Sazzle41 Thu 25-Jun-15 16:43:58

Maxpepsi Cant remember what was on P45 tbh but from years of maternity contract jobs i know my tax code has been a W one for aeons ! I think last temp agency fecked up despite me doing relevant P46.

rosie1959 Thu 25-Jun-15 16:48:43

They should use the tax code from your P45 if it was issued in this tax year

TheGirlFromIpanema Thu 25-Jun-15 16:49:16

If you filled out a P46 correctly, or gave them a P45 then it is your payroll person/dept at fault OP!

About a gazillion years ago a BR tax code was used as emergency/unknown tax code. For at least 10 years though it hasn't... yet still some people will insist on using it instead of using the correct Wk1/M1 version of the standard code.

Boils my piss it does.

scarlets Thu 25-Jun-15 17:01:40

The Payroll dept person is being a lazy bugger. If the p45 is dated 6/4/15 or later, they should be using the details from it.

Best time to call hmrc is 7.55am. I did this and queued for only 3 minutes.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: