Talk

Advanced search

To wonder why the big rush with weaning?

(171 Posts)
squishyeyeballs Thu 25-Jun-15 13:43:38

I know I'll get flamed for being a judgey pants but I've seen so many parents do this recently and I'm genuinely curious as to why.

My SIL rang me yesterday evening and as we were chatting, she mentioned that they had given their 10 week old DD her first spoon feed. I was very surprised but SIL said that they had to as DD is so super hungry and they simply cannot keep her fed. She sounded a bit defensive at how surprised I was so I left it at that. However, I was speaking to DM this morning (she lives in the same house) and she said that she doesn't understand why SIL is giving the solids, the baby is taking 6 feeds a day and doesn't finish all of them and she is quite content hmm

2 cousins of mine had babies recently, 1 started spoonfeeding at 6 weeks and the other at 12 weeks. Both gave the 'hungry baby' excuse. I mentioned it to my phn at last visit just to get her opinion on it and she said that the parents are setting their babies up for future digestive problems and obesity and that there is absolutely no need or benefit to feeding solids to such a young baby.

My doctor told me to wean DS at 17 weeks because he had reflux and was gaining very little weight and I still thought it was very young. I will be waiting until as close to 6 months as possible with DD. I just don't get why some people are in such a rush to wean their babies against medical advice. They are only small for such a short period of time.

nottheOP Thu 25-Jun-15 13:47:54

I don't get it but then again I am lazy and weaning is a pain in the bum. Much easier to feed milk in either boob or bottle form.

I think it might be to try and get a good night's kip. I was told lots that DS would sleep through when he was on 3 meals a day on more than one occasion.

hiddenhome Thu 25-Jun-15 13:48:11

I think some types of people see it as evidence of 'development'. They also try to get them out of nappies, memorising the alphabet and drinking lager ahead of time as well confused

They all manage it anyway, so why rush? It's all very silly, misguided and potentially harmful.

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Thu 25-Jun-15 13:48:23

I don't get it either, if the baby is hungry surely you give it more milk?! DH was weaned at 6 weeks, when I weaned DD at 6 months she kept saying 'well that never would have worked with DH (her DS), he was far too hungry to wait'.
Then again I hated weaning so definitely in no rush to do it before 6 months with DC2!

The5DayChicken Thu 25-Jun-15 13:48:25

10 weeks is really young. Poor babies sad . I can't imagine the baby is actually of the necessary actions to take food off a spoon yet and it's simply being spooned back into their mouths until it goes down.

mmollytoots Thu 25-Jun-15 13:48:27

my baby is 9 months old I hate weaning its such a messy faff. gone are the dad it was a simple milk feed why anyone rushes to this I'll never know

The5DayChicken Thu 25-Jun-15 13:49:44

* actually capable

DonkeyOaty Thu 25-Jun-15 13:50:52

I don't know either. My sibling, they started spoon feeding their baby at 11 weeks; adamant that HV told them to. Ofc I never said owt but I must have done a catsbum inadvertently to provoke the HV assertion (this was last year not back in the Dark Ages iyswim) Eeek at me, I felt bad, try so hard to be Lovely Aunt Who Keeps Beak Out.

Writerwannabe83 Thu 25-Jun-15 13:52:35

I think some people see it as their baby being more developed/advanced than others if they have some form of solids. Almost like it's something to be proud of in a "my baby is better than yours" sense. Competitive parenting.

It's pretty ridiculous really.

Babies don't need anything other than milk for the first 6 months of their life (excluding any babies with medical problems) but some parents think early weaning is a good thing.

123Jump Thu 25-Jun-15 13:52:44

I find people are desperate for sleep, so they think giving solids will magically make a baby sleep all night...
There will of course be one or two babies that this works for, but the rest are just rushing something, I feel anyway.
Surely if your baby is hungry you should just give more milk? I'm sure it has more calories than those horrible jars or baby rice.
Still, each to their own.

squishyeyeballs Thu 25-Jun-15 13:56:18

Exactly! I find it so much easier just to give em the boob or bottle rather than faff about with purees and sterilising cutlery. Not to mention the mess. I remember it was quite difficult to get DS to take the food initially and I was scared stiff that he would choke. DD still has quite a strong tongue thrust at almost 5 months so I can't imagine how anyone would even manage to get a 10 week old to take solids.

I've also had the comments about DD still being ebf. A family memver told me last week that I should just give her a Liga and she'd be grand hmm

sinkatron Thu 25-Jun-15 13:56:24

Poor babies. They're not ready for food that young. Like PP said they are at risk of future obesity and digestive issues. Surely hanging off until 6 months is no hardship.

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Thu 25-Jun-15 13:57:56

My DH struggles to keep his weight down and also have digestive issues. Doubt it can be attributed solely to early weaning but I always think it probably played a part.

LibrariesGaveUsPower Thu 25-Jun-15 13:59:16

I think there are two things. If, like me, you are in your thirties, it was probably the age you were weaned. So people taking advice from parents will often wean very early. Or say "well I am ok".

The other thing is the competitive parenting thing mentioned. Just like they get them out of the car seat, out of the moses basket, etc.

ps. you don't need to sterilise cutlery!

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Thu 25-Jun-15 14:01:26

I've never sterilised cutlery confused

squishyeyeballs Thu 25-Jun-15 14:04:54

I think you're right about the age thing Libraries MIL was arguing recently that in her day, babies were weaned at 12 weeks and they were all fine. I pointed out the huge increase in digestive problems such as IBS etc but she was having none of it hmm

haveabreakhaveakitkat Thu 25-Jun-15 14:07:09

MIL often tells the story of DH and BIL having Weetabix in their bottles at six weeks as they were hungry boys. It was quite normal in the 70's apparently.

Mine were all around 5/6 months. I think it's a showoffy thing when people start it earlier.

RattleAndRoll Thu 25-Jun-15 14:07:44

I don't get it either. Less than 17 weeks is just plain stupid imo. Before 6 months is too (unless you've been advised to).
After I started weaning DS at 6 months I was even more shock that people do it sooner. It's messy, frustrating, there's more stuff to pack when going out, there's no time for much else in the day when you're trying to get bottles / 3 meals / snacks / nappy changes and naps.
There's really no rush.

NRomanoff Thu 25-Jun-15 14:11:02

I weaned at 20 weeks, with the support of ds' doctor and hv. He was drinking that much milk, all day he was taking in so much protein it could have damaged his kidneys

GoStraightGoStraight Thu 25-Jun-15 14:12:45

All my babies were spoon fed a bit of something by eight weeks as were almost all of us over the age of 25. I just can't be bothered to care too much about this. I fact I don't buy the obesity argument and I think it's possibly part of the reason so many children end up as very fussy eaters with real issues over different textures and flavours. leaving any warning until a baby can manage finger foods may well result in a child who can't deal with mixed textured soft food. I fully expect this current advice for very late weaning to be reversed or disregarded in the next few years.

waceystills Thu 25-Jun-15 14:16:33

My SIL (who constantly complains her pfb is growing up too quickly) gave her DD food at 14 weeks because the weaning nurse advised her too!

She was told that she would become 'milk logged' if she carried on taking so much milk. Is there such a thing?

Now she is worried that pfb is taking less milk all of a sudden. How can she not work this out???

I keep my trap shut (which is hard!) about it, none of my business.

Is there any evidence linking early weaning to obesity? I've noticed it tends to be overweight parents that wean early.

slippermaiden Thu 25-Jun-15 14:17:32

Crazy people. I wanted til 5.5 months, I couldn't wait any longer as baby stared at all food longingly, almost drooling!

ShadowFire Thu 25-Jun-15 14:19:18

As far as I know, most of my friends waited until baby was 6 months.

But earlier weaning was normal for my parents generation, and there's been a fair amount of surprise / thinly veiled disapproval from that area at waiting till 6 months to start weaning. Usually followed by protestations about early weaning having been fine for their baby if current 6 month guidelines are mentioned.

So some of it may be new parents taking out of date advice from grandparents who are unaware that weaning guidance has changed.

UglyBugaz Thu 25-Jun-15 14:20:06

I stopped at 4-5 months

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Thu 25-Jun-15 14:21:25

You don't buy it GoStraight? Have you read all the medical studies? Carried out your own?
DD was weaned at 6 months. Never had anything puréed. Now at 19 months eats literally anything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now