Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to cut down horrible wire the neighbours have attached to our shared garden fence?

(19 Posts)
Hamiltoes Thu 25-Jun-15 13:05:43

Don't want to drip feed so heres a bit of backstory, I've had trouble with my downstairs neighbours since the day we moved in when they came to my door en-masse and demanded we keep the noise down (we were in the process of building the bed!) as the guy works night shift.

No problem, we put carpets and rugs down, no shoes in the house, we don't let the 4yo run or around or anything like that.

Since then they have been at my door numberous times to complain again and again about (for example) me hoovering at mid-day. 7mo dd crawling, and "banging about".

I felt really bad for a while as its obvious the houses insulation is really poor! However we hear them too! And they hoover at midnight.

So basically its been frequent parties, which go on all night with thudding music we can hear word for word with the TV on, screaming and shouting in the shared back and front garden at all hours, they sometimes leave at 1am in the morning slamming the doors and gates so the kids wake up and then their dog just barks constantly until the morning. They have two cats who moan and fight all the time really loudly. When baby was 2 weeks old they had a huge party and i broke down at 4am, not remembering the last time I had slept and sent DH down to ask if they could keep the noise down. Well DH was almost assaulted by her for our "banging about" they turned the music off instantly but then starting hitting their ceilings with something constantly.

Since then i've not said anything. We both work full time, the kids are out of the house all day they get up at 7am and go to bed at 7/7.30pm and even at weekends DD is more of a books and barbies girl, she doesn't tend to be running or jumping around the house at all.

So today my mum was in with the girls as her bathroom is getting done and just text to say the woman was at the door complaining about the girls banging around since 5am this morning. No one was even awake at 5am this morning! I'm really livid. DM said she was really rude and stormed off in a huff when my mum explained they were just being children and were in bed at 5am! I want to say something. I've not even bothered once about the noise they make, the only thing that bugs me is the dog because well its cruel! But to me, thats just part of living in a flat.

Sorry that was a long backstory but wanted to get over how inconsiderate they are!

But what is really annoying me is its coming into summer now and i want the girls to be able to enjoy the garden, but they have put chicken wire type stuff all over the metal railings in the front garden so they can kick their dog out and let it roam wild without escaping. This wire stuff looks really horrible, they've secured it with black cable ties and it wasn't there when we viewed the flat. The garden is shared between us and them. The dog is a vicious little thing and due to being out there all the time it shits absolutely everywhere.

So, WIBU to cut the chicken wire down in the hopes that it stops them letting the dog run free to shit and bark at all hours (and the fact that its a bloody eyesore!!) or should I do the considerate thing and ask them? I know I should ask but they'll say no, however I think if its shared then i'd be within my rights to say I don't want it?

I really just want to send DH out when we get home to chop the whole thing down i'm so at the end of my tether with them but I know that WBU!! I just feel like I have tried to be the considerate neighbour and its not worked anyway so now I want to start enjoying where I live and not have to worry about what they think anymore.

Bakeoffcake Thu 25-Jun-15 13:14:24

Gosh you poor thing.

I wouldn't cut the wire down because it's not your wire and you haven't spoken to them about it. I actually hi I th who're is the least of your problems.

If I were you I would be taking things further re all their noise, the aggressive way they speak to you and the barking dog.

If it a rented property, could you speak to the council or LL? If you own it I think I'd go to Citizens Advice.

shovetheholly Thu 25-Jun-15 13:19:36

It sounds absolutely unbearable. They are horrendous neighbours of the very worst kind. I am surprised that you are sticking it, I really am.

Please don't touch the wire. It'll only inflame things further. Instead, I would consider three things:

1. Moving! I'm serious.
2. If you own the flat: putting down new floors with very thick insulation that is specifically designed to sound proof. If you don't own the flat: explaining this problem to your landlord and seeing if they will help.
3. Using all available channels to stamp out the problem. Call environmental health and get the noise monitored. Start keeping a diary that will allow you to evidence the problem. Call the police if they are ever remotely threatening to you again.

hiddenhome Thu 25-Jun-15 13:19:43

You'll just antagonise them if you cut it down. I think you should go down the official route of complaining. You'll need to gather evidence. Are they local authority or private rent? Are they permitted to have a dog?

I feel sorry for you. Neighbours like this need grinding up for dog food hmm

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Thu 25-Jun-15 13:35:11

They would only replace the wire if you did cut it.
Yanbu, but it would be pointless.
I would seriously consider every possibility of moving or getting them moved.
Or be taking lots of picnics to the park, where the ground is cleaner and your dcs can run around and be noisy.

OTheHugeManatee Thu 25-Jun-15 13:37:27

Move house. If it's a shared garden there's not much you can do about the wired. How long is your lease and how quickly can you move? Sorry but I'm not sure there is an alternative.

Hamiltoes Thu 25-Jun-15 13:47:48

Sorry I wrote a big reply and it didn't post!

Its shared ownership so no LL to complain to but HA has phoned before to tell me they had tried to put in a complaint before but HA told them its nothing to do with them, and that the complaint sounded like everyday noise anyway. HA lady also said they'd tried to report us for benefit Fraud and told them i have a partner living with me, well of course i do i'm married and on maternity leave and get no benefits! Just shows the kind of people they are.

Also reluctant to go through police/ council due to workmate telling me i now have to disclose this on the home report if I want to sell it?

They moved in the July and the flat was up for sale mid august- now I realise why that is!

RattleAndRoll Thu 25-Jun-15 13:51:56

If it's a shared garden surely you can't have a dog or if you do it can't be kept out there for long and poo needs cleaning up ASAP. Surely?

addictedtosugar Thu 25-Jun-15 13:54:38

Can the front garden be made suitable for the kids? So the dogs can have the (probably better) back garden, and you can have the front?

If its rented, are they allowed pets?

I'd suggest you let them know that the Environmental Health department would be able to deal with antisocial noise from neighbours: because if it is as you say, you will not have a problem, but they might!

I wouldn't cut the wire down, but do agree you might have to move, which will be a expensive hassle. flowers

addictedtosugar Thu 25-Jun-15 13:55:51

Sorry, just seen its SO.
Direct them to the EH team.

Hamiltoes Thu 25-Jun-15 14:04:34

Rattle I have no idea about what rights and rules come with shared gardens as we've always had our own! I just thought you'd use some common sense and be respectful to neighbours.

addicted whats the EH team sorry?

paulapompom Thu 25-Jun-15 14:08:35

Sounds terrible. I have lived in a couple of flats and it can be hard in close proximity to others - especially these idiots!

I would say don't cut the wire, it wouldn't bu imo BUT you are bound to have more trouble, it will give them an excuse.

Citizens Advice is a good idea, you can e-mail them too. I would have a word with the community police too, with a written record of what's happened, including dates if you can.

Write down all incidents from now on. It may be that you can report them for harrasment.

I know what you mean with the official complaint/moving/disclosure issue, but i think you should address the issue of their aggression and badbebehaviour.

The Rspca may be interested if the dog is not being properly cared for you could speak to them. I really wish you well op, and hope you get some support flowers

Hamiltoes Thu 25-Jun-15 14:13:17

Thanks for all the helpful advice, i'm not feeling as angry now as I was earlier!

I think I may just have to go down the council / offical route and hope they move before we come to sell. sad Its really annoying, I love the flat but they have ruined it for us!

addictedtosugar Thu 25-Jun-15 15:27:04

Environmental health (ie council!)

youareallbonkers Thu 25-Jun-15 17:05:21

How do you work full time and are on maternity leave?

Pooka Thu 25-Jun-15 17:09:35

She normal, works full time but is on maternity leave at the moment?

Number12 Thu 25-Jun-15 17:10:49

Op read the deeds to your property regarding shared use of the garden. I make full notes if the accusations which have clearly been made up on the 'off chance' you may be claiming. I'd expect the tax office next....its all evidence they are clearly trying to get you to move out.

Either move, get lawyers involved or get even.

I'd suggest all of the above.

youareallbonkers Thu 25-Jun-15 17:12:46

She said the kids are out of the house all day as they work full time. Clearly that's not the case

addictedtosugar Thu 25-Jun-15 18:02:29

I can't see anywhere the OP says she is on ML?
Her Daughter is 7 months, many Mums return back to work at that point?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now