changing contract hours, with 4 days notice, help?

(15 Posts)
Altinkum Wed 24-Jun-15 20:22:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Altinkum Wed 24-Jun-15 20:23:57

Sconejamcream Wed 24-Jun-15 20:28:37

So you are doing overtime and being paid but next week it's back to 24 hours. That's your contract, suck it up. It's not financially viable to commit to regular overtime in such a manner. It was never going to be sustainable.

fastdaytears Wed 24-Jun-15 20:30:35

I would have thought it was your 24 hours that they would have to give you notice to change and overtime is a bonus that they can take away any time unfortunately

Altinkum Wed 24-Jun-15 20:32:14

Sconejamcream Wed 24-Jun-15 20:34:12

Ahh, then no they can't do that is your contract states 24 hours. But check it doesn't say they reserve the right to alter hours. Call ACAS for advice.

fastdaytears Wed 24-Jun-15 20:35:29

Right that makes more sense! In that case I'd say that 4 days doesn't seem very long at all to be out on to 1/5 of your contact hours. You should definitely get legal advice but also be looking for a job that's not working for people who think this is reasonable. Step one though should definitely be wine

Acrabadabra Wed 24-Jun-15 20:38:22

Are you working your contracted hours, ie 24, next week, or less than that?
As I understand it they shouldn't be able to cut your hours lower than what's contracted without your agreement. Notice periods where I work used to be 13 weeks; then they could essentially force your hand as changes were "operational requirements" they can now make changes in 4 weeks.
I think anyone would struggle to argue 4 days was "reasonable" though.
I'm not an expert though. Hopefully, one will be along shortly.
As a possibl explanation, they may be hiring in order to increase the workforce flexibility. If your working more than twice your contracted hours on a regular basis it makes more sense to spread that workload around. More cover for holidays/sickness/general flexibility etc.

Acrabadabra Wed 24-Jun-15 20:42:13

Definitely contact your Union if you have one or acas if not.
If you're well informed on your rights it helps.
If they think 4 days is reasonable chances are they don't know your rights

Altinkum Wed 24-Jun-15 20:48:21

EeyoresTail Wed 24-Jun-15 20:53:30

If they are changing your contact (which they are by giving you less hours) I'm sure they need to give you at least a months notice. Does it not quantify the reasonable notice in your contact? Does it cover how much notice you would need to give them if you wanted to change your hours?

Altinkum Wed 24-Jun-15 20:53:49

Altinkum Wed 24-Jun-15 20:56:54

InexperiencedDisneyMum Wed 24-Jun-15 21:55:05

My Dh works full-time but due to lack of business he was put on short time for the last 2 years for about 3 months at a time. Each week they were told on the Friday whether or not to come in on the Monday or not. Their union said it was ok for the company to do this.

TiredButFine Wed 24-Jun-15 22:26:28

They need to pay you holiday based on the 60 hours a week not 24 hours a week as well....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now