Talk

Advanced search

Horrified at what I just saw.

(21 Posts)
hedgehogsdontbite Wed 24-Jun-15 15:34:03

Just been to pick DS up from nursery. I pulled up next to a car with a terrier type dog in the front seat. It was bouncing up and down and woofing it's head off in excitement at me. It's not hot and the windows were all open so I thought nothing of it. Went in, got DS, came back out and it was still there. Dog jumped into the back to continue his woofathon as I put DS in his seat.

As I pulled out of the parking space movement caught my eye and I realised there was a tiny baby strapped into a carrier on the other side of the back seat.

I like to think of myself as non-judgy and normally have to check my whereabouts when I see judgy threads in case they're talking about me, but this has really shocked me. AIBU to judge this?

Disclaimer: 6 month old DS was bitten by a terrier while under close supervision so I'm probably very biased.

ChuffinAda Wed 24-Jun-15 15:34:58

Call 101

whyhasmyheadgonenumb Wed 24-Jun-15 15:35:20

That would horrify me too......

Bair Wed 24-Jun-15 15:36:03

Did you do anything?

I don't think you're being biased at all, and I love dogs.

haveabreakhaveakitkat Wed 24-Jun-15 15:36:27

You need to get that baby some help asap. Is it hot where you are?!

haveabreakhaveakitkat Wed 24-Jun-15 15:37:03

Ooops sorry just read that it's not hot

whyhasmyheadgonenumb Wed 24-Jun-15 15:37:45

I'm sat here very concerned for that baby!!!

ThumbWitchesAbroad Wed 24-Jun-15 15:38:02

OP says it's not hot and the windows were open.

But OP, I'd be horrified too - it's not on to have an unrestrained dog in the car with a tiny baby, IMO.

ChuffinAda Wed 24-Jun-15 15:40:06

I'm more concerned about the unattended child than any possible heat issues

BitchPeas Wed 24-Jun-15 15:40:33

I love dogs and am very laid back and relaxed in my parenting, but this is making me feel quite sick and stressed blush That poor baby, what a stupid thing to do.

Moomintroll85 Wed 24-Jun-15 15:41:58

shock

I would have noted the number plate and reported it and gone back into the nursery to alert staff due to immediate potential danger for the baby. Unbelievable negligence.

haveabreakhaveakitkat Wed 24-Jun-15 15:42:33

Bouncy excited dog could hurt tiny baby without biting it. He could jump on it, smother it. I'm guessing the parent was not long picking up/dropping off but even so she should have taken the baby away from th dog.

hedgehogsdontbite Wed 24-Jun-15 15:43:12

I'm ashamed to say I didn't really do anything. I pulled back into the space and waited until the mother came back then came home. I'm in Sweden so it's not unusual to see babies unsupervised. It's normal here to still see prams outside front doors or sleeping in cars with windows and doors left open. But unsupervised with an excited terrier is something else.

hibbledibble Wed 24-Jun-15 15:44:39

I would be far more concerned about the unattended child than the dog.

haveabreakhaveakitkat Wed 24-Jun-15 15:45:04

I did immediatelt say 'oops sorry' about the heat issue. I saw 'baby in car' and as it's boiling here today I put two and two together and posted too quickly.

Mintyy Wed 24-Jun-15 15:45:18

Well please do something hedgehogs!

Inform the nursery at the very least.

APlaceOnTheCouch Wed 24-Jun-15 15:46:53

YANBU. I'd have went back into the nursery and told them so they could identify the parents and get the baby out of the car. Giving them the benefit of the doubt, maybe they don't realise the dog can jump from front to back so thought the baby was safe? Regardless, I'd still have gone in and asked the nursery staff to find the relevant parent.

Seriouslyffs Wed 24-Jun-15 15:52:32

Swedish risk assessment is different.
I still wake up sweating remembering watching from afar a couple walking on a frozen lake. With big cracks. And a pram.
Mention it to the nursery though. If only to remind the staff you're not a 'homogeneous Swede'- the assumption that everyone has the same experience and same outlook needs challenging.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Wed 24-Jun-15 15:54:47

Haveabreak - we xposted. smile

SurlyCue Wed 24-Jun-15 15:59:07

Id have called the nursery from beside the car and reported it asking them to get owner out ASAP.

paulapompom Wed 24-Jun-15 20:14:23

So many risks!!! Baby unattended, excited dog jumping about, Windows open (I understand why) is making it easier for a car thief. It's awful but cars have been stolen with babies in in the UK. I would mention to the nursery. You don't sound at all judgey just concerned flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now