Talk

Advanced search

To wonder what the hell MNDA are thinking with this poster?

(60 Posts)
WoonerismSpit Wed 24-Jun-15 13:36:09

It reads like they are saying if Michael had performed the ice bucket challenge, he would never have been diagnosed. Like some sort of MND karma.

Obviously they can't mean that, but AIBU to think that it has been worded spectacularly badly?

LashesandLipstick Wed 24-Jun-15 13:37:23

That's worded terribly!

TwinkieTwinkle Wed 24-Jun-15 13:40:14

That is so bad.

RachelWatts Wed 24-Jun-15 13:40:58

I saw someone ranting about that poster on FB a while ago.

Apparently, it's a direct quote - the guy on the poster actually said those words, although I can't help thinking he must have said quite a lot of other words as well which would have given some context.

MNDA have more posters in this campaign which are better.

cuntycowfacemonkey Wed 24-Jun-15 13:41:01

Bloody hell! Even if those were his own words what a stupid thing to put on a poster. I didn't do the ice bucket challenge either, doesn't mean I don't care about people with MND and doesn't mean I am now more likely to get MND.

Reads like one of those awful chain letters "now write to 10 more people or you will have bad luck" shame on them

coffeetasteslikeshit Wed 24-Jun-15 13:46:53

Ha! That's sounds so wrong.

JohnFarleysRuskin Wed 24-Jun-15 13:48:21

It does sound wrong!

No matter that it's a direct quote- the marketing dept chose to use it and others signed it off.

I didn't do the challenge either. Oh shit...

Allbymyselfagain Wed 24-Jun-15 13:49:47

God that's terrible! Who in their right mind thought that was ok. For what's it worth I didn't do it either. But I did donate the £100 instead, am I safe?

Thurlow Wed 24-Jun-15 13:53:30

I was going to post about this the other day! There's one at our train station. I think it's absolutely shocking.

SumThucker Wed 24-Jun-15 13:55:12

That is shocking!

SummerHouse Wed 24-Jun-15 14:05:33

I think the message is that he dismissed it as a prank/ he did not see it as relevant to him/ he now sees the importance of raising awareness as hence is part of a poster campaign. Its controversial but I would never have seen this otherwise. He is clearly ok with it and he has just been diagnosed. I am in two minds.

cuntycowfacemonkey Wed 24-Jun-15 14:11:12

TBH it wasn't until long after the ice bucket challenge craze died down I even realised it was raising awareness about MND. I dunno it's like those make up free selfies everyone was posting, everyone's talking about the selfies but noone's actually talking about the disease it's meant to be hi lighting.

SummerHouse Wed 24-Jun-15 14:30:33

I saw the video of why the challenge started (in the US by a man who had been diagnosed who had previously looked after his mum with the condition.)

I had freezing water and ice chucked on me and I donated. They raised millions. Its a small charity and that money means a lot.

If some people did it without knowing what for that's no bad thing.

SpringBreaker Wed 24-Jun-15 14:34:43

The poster has achieved its goal. I hadn't seen it, until now when it is mentioned on here.

My aunt died of mnd and it is an illness that many people had never heard of until the ice bucket publicity.

BeaufortBelle Wed 24-Jun-15 14:40:07

Why's it awful? I didn't know the ice bucket challenge raised money for MND. I think it also draws a parallel with probability. It is probable and easy to do the ice bucket challenge. It is improbable that a fit young man who might so easily have done the challenge has been diagnosed with MND. As I read it, it raises consciousness about a very serious life limited disease.

WoonerismSpit Wed 24-Jun-15 22:44:05

Belle the wording inadvertently (I think!) implies that he was diagnosed because he didn't do the challenge, like one of those bloody chain letter things someone else mentioned

DoJo Wed 24-Jun-15 23:12:26

I also read it as 'I didn't appreciate the importance of the campaign last year, but now I am living proof that awareness needs to be raised even by those who may not be interested.'

I can see how you could interpret it as a sign of 'karma', but presumably his is just one way of representing the challenges that awareness campaigns face, and perhaps his story might resonate with some people.

WinterOfOurDiscountTents15 Thu 25-Jun-15 00:51:23

the wording inadvertently (I think!) implies that he was diagnosed because he didn't do the challenge,

No it doesn't. What kind of idiot would you have to be to think thats why people get diseases? It can only imply what you infer.

WoonerismSpit Thu 25-Jun-15 05:47:00

Hence me saying inadvertently winter. I'm not saying that is what they are saying. I'm saying that's how it reads; it could have been worded a lot better.

GrumpleMe Thu 25-Jun-15 05:51:15

I agree it's not ideal. But I think he was just describing the irony of his specific situation.

MaggieJoyBlunt Thu 25-Jun-15 05:55:31

No matter that it's a direct quote- the marketing dept chose to use it and others signed it off.

Quite.

What were they thinking?

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Thu 25-Jun-15 06:10:07

I don't see the offence here.

They are just putting a real face to MND.

MaggieJoyBlunt Thu 25-Jun-15 06:15:55

It's the implication that there's a connection between the failure to IBC and the development of MND Fanjo. An unfortunate juxtaposition of ideas.

GrumpleMe Thu 25-Jun-15 06:27:00

I don't get that implication, although I can see how others might.

I think reading it that way is 2 + 2 = 5.

MaggieJoyBlunt Thu 25-Jun-15 06:35:16

Maybe not implication. I'm sure (hope) it isn't what was intended but it's a bizarre pairing that is wide open to that inference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now