Talk

Advanced search

To sprinkle salt over my lounge floor

(26 Posts)
TommyandGina Wed 24-Jun-15 12:10:56

There is what I am assuming to be a slug / snail trail on my lounge carpet. Shall I sprinkle salt or has anyone got any better suggestions other than burning the house down.

DoJo Wed 24-Jun-15 12:21:35

Locate the origins of the trail and block up the gap where the sticky little beggar got in!

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Wed 24-Jun-15 12:21:58

Embrace them.

Give them names and call them your babies.

They mean no harm.

brew

SugarOnTop Wed 24-Jun-15 12:24:29

have a snail race grin

lljkk Wed 24-Jun-15 12:25:16

Or wait until your teenager steps on one at 5am and gets rid of it for you.

Elllimam Wed 24-Jun-15 12:38:25

Indeed kingjoffrey smilesmilesmile

JaynewithaY Wed 24-Jun-15 12:48:57

We did this and poured salt around the edge of the room (after trying to block up any holes). A few days later we found the slug crawling up the wall and haven't had another one since. Worth a try!

CoffeeAndBiscuitsPlease Wed 24-Jun-15 12:54:22

I poured salt around the edges after seeing a couple in my last damp, manky, horrible house. Came home one day and there were about 10, dead in the middle of my living room.

Still makes me a little bit icky now thinking about it!

TheCunnyFunt Wed 24-Jun-15 15:46:58

Bleurgh. We used to get slugs in our house. Every morning we'd come down to fresh trails all over the living room but we could never find where they were coming in! Put slug pellets down along the front of the house a couple of times and they haven't been back since. This was 2-3yrs ago!

Goshthatsspicy Wed 24-Jun-15 15:50:48

My mum has an irrational fear of slugs. My mum likes to work out with a little yoga mat she keeps rolled up in the living room.
Recently, she had the most horrendous experience. While she rolled and stretched, she was rolling all over a couple of slugs! Bits all over her workout stuff,and all over her. They are quite sneaky, so l think you should try and scoop them up in kitchen paper.

TommyandGina Wed 24-Jun-15 22:05:00

Eewww, a few yucky stories there, I've cleaned it all up and will wait and see tomorrow before I take action

TheWintersmith Wed 24-Jun-15 22:07:26

Noooo

We did this

Dried out slimed out dead slugs everywhere. Big mistake.

I moved out <not helpful>

Jo4040 Wed 24-Jun-15 22:14:55

Oh no. Oh no. When I was renting my old house it was like something from a horror movie. One night I came back in Kate from a night out. About one ish, went into the kitchen. No exaggeration, there were about four aluga on the floor,one crawling up my washer, a few on the work tops, on a pizza box that my partner had left out from his take away. Slug trails everywhere. It got so bad, that I handed in my notice and bit the bullet and bought my own house. I will never ever forget the sight that night in my kitchen tho. Never. I'd rather have walked in on a ghost talking to another ghost

TommyandGina Wed 24-Jun-15 23:31:21

Yuk! Moving is not an option at all. Ds is disabled and we're in a bungalow that is about to be adapted to suit his needs, slug pellets maybe around the outside of the doors, or will that trap the evil buggers inside???

squishyeyeballs Thu 25-Jun-15 00:05:14

Am I the only one who thinks that slugs are harmless little fellas and should be left to their own devices or else put outside instead of coming to a cruel salty end

GiddyOnZackHunt Thu 25-Jun-15 00:11:25

squishy - I mean them no harm if they'd just knock before coming in the house.
DH won't let me salt so we're slowly gap filling.

The5DayChicken Thu 25-Jun-15 00:12:02

DB and SIL have been defeated by this problem and just ignore the multiple dozens of slug trails on their living room floor. It truly is disgusting.

AnitaManeater Thu 25-Jun-15 00:20:34

I used to live in a 200yr old house where there was just earth under the floorboards. Every night at about llll11pm you could watch the slugs come squeezing up through the boards. They can flatten themselves out to literally a couple of mm thick. I used to bugger off upstairs whether I was tired or not

avocadotoast Thu 25-Jun-15 00:20:40

My dickhead ex-housemate once came home drunk and poured about four inches of salt along the edge of our kitchen doorframe (we did have slugs, but nothing to confirm that was where they were coming in. Kitchen was full of holes ffs).

Anyway, two massive fat slugs died on the line. She refused to clean them up. It was vile.

So, bottom line: do it if you wish, but be prepared for the aftermath.

avocadotoast Thu 25-Jun-15 00:22:03

Oh, and my mum's friend had a slug problem too; they even got in her cutlery drawer. She had to get a professional in - expensive, but it sorted the problem.

UglyBugaz Thu 25-Jun-15 00:23:23

Get an old bowl and pour beer in it, slugs like beer so they will go to it and sometimes drown or get drunk

fackinell Thu 25-Jun-15 00:31:41

I'm with Squishy, killing them is cruel, not to mention slow and painful. Put them outside.i could never intentionally kill anything. sad

DrCoconut Thu 25-Jun-15 00:37:04

We have had a big tidy up outside today to remove their hiding places then put slug pellets down. So far no unwanted visitors......

pigsDOfly Thu 25-Jun-15 00:44:13

Horrible little buggers. One of the very few, if not the only creatures, that make me feel shuddery.

Burn the house down OP.

ShowMeYourTARDIS Thu 25-Jun-15 06:53:33

Probably just snuck in through an open door/window. I find them inside sometimes. I toss em to the chickens. They get very happy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now