Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To not want blood all over my shopping...

(32 Posts)
dollydaydreamers Wed 24-Jun-15 11:58:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DextersMistress Wed 24-Jun-15 12:04:47

yanbu. Eww.

Cashier should have nipped off for a plaster.

viva100 Wed 24-Jun-15 12:06:53

YANBU. I would absolutely not have accepted that shopping. So yabu for not being firm then and there.

ToysRLuv Wed 24-Jun-15 12:06:59

Not ideal, but if everything's been in a wrap, I wouldn't care.

WorraLiberty Wed 24-Jun-15 12:07:21

I think I would have sympathised but strongly suggested he stops to put a plaster on, and wash his hands.

Theselittlelightsaremine Wed 24-Jun-15 12:08:14

YANBU I have a thing about others people blood too.

RackofPeas Wed 24-Jun-15 12:26:08

I think that's pretty gross!
Surely he could have got a plaster?
Quite a lot of people find the sight of someone else's blood revolting and the fact he was handling food... Urgh!

reni1 Wed 24-Jun-15 12:31:36

That lettuce needs to go into the clinical waste bin. Yanbu

UterusUterusGhali Wed 24-Jun-15 12:39:36

Yabu. It's a protein boost. You should think yourself lucky you weren't charged extra.

*joking. That's gopping.

SophieHatters Wed 24-Jun-15 12:39:59

You needed to say something at the time - handling food has a protocol and he was breaking it. Saying that I'm sure with a bit of a rinse your shopping will probably be fine.

StackladysMorphicResonator Wed 24-Jun-15 12:49:41

Yuck, that's awful, not to mention an infection risk - what if he is HIV positive or has hepatitis? Admittedly unlikely but still a risk, and pretty gross besides!

CatthiefKeith Wed 24-Jun-15 12:55:17

You can't get HIV from eating food with blood on it ffs

ToysRLuv Wed 24-Jun-15 12:58:38

The blood was on the wrapping, where there might also be traces of animal and human faeces, cleaning chemicals, oil and dust, just to mention a few things. That is why you then throw tge packaging away and don't eat it, or/and wash/peel/cook your food. Mostly none of it matters I rarely wash my fruit and veg

MrsLeighHalfpenny Wed 24-Jun-15 13:00:48

you can't get HIV or Hep from eating blood!!

Although it's not very nice, I would eat the lettuce and anything else wrapped, as long as the blood is only on the wrapper. I'd see that as preferable to throwing food away, or going back to the shop.

However, I would have stopped him from scanning anything else if he was obvously bleeding, and sent him off to get a supervisor to find a replacement till operator pronto.

spottybottycream Wed 24-Jun-15 13:02:54

The risk is low, but if the blood was on the food and the op had a cut in her mouth. She COULD contract hiv.
It's why bar persons shouldn't collect glasses with their fingers in the top. Cut on your hand, cut in a customers mouth, pick up the glass BAM hepatitis.

OnlyLovers Wed 24-Jun-15 13:03:07

Was everything packaged? If so then I can't see how it's a problem.

But I would have suggested he went to get a plaster.

CatthiefKeith Wed 24-Jun-15 13:08:39

Spotty - she would have had to eat the lettuce which had no actual blood on it at the checkout for there even to be the tiniest chance of your theory being proved right. HIV lives for very little time outside the body. Whilst I have been known to open a bag of crisps/can of drink on the way home from shopping, it would be fairly unusual to be biting chunks out of an unwashed lettuce on your way home from Tesco surely?

You should always rinse veg anyway. I'd be more worried about biting into another hairy caterpillar than a small amount of blood transferred through a tissue op.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Wed 24-Jun-15 13:09:28

I'm just intrigued to see if anybody would say that you should want blood on your shopping... grin

No takers so far.

What are you going to do about it? It sounds as if you want to do something... other than telling him to put a plaster on it, what else is there? I possibly wouldn't have noticed then but would have at home and probably put the lettuce through a dishwasher cycle.

sticklebrickstickle Wed 24-Jun-15 13:17:46

No that's definitely not on. It's a low risk but there definitely is some risk - hepatitis B is highly contagious and can be passed on by getting even microscopic amounts of infected blood in your mucus membranes (eyes, nose, mouth) so there is a risk l. Of course Hep B isn't common in the UK and I would have thought if he did have a transmitable disease he would be careful but it's still not very good practice to be allowing his blood to come into contact with products being bought by others. He should have stopped to wash hands and put on a plaster before touching anything else and I would have been unhappy about having blood on my shopping too.

sticklebrickstickle Wed 24-Jun-15 13:20:49

Sorry that should have said Hep B is transmitable through breaks in the mucus membranes (eg: small cuts, ulcers) but not through the membranes themselves. Not trying to scaremonger!!

MrsTedCrilly Wed 24-Jun-15 14:02:18

I have pretty low standards but that is quite gross. He should have stopped and put a plaster on, and replaced the lettuce.

spottybottycream Wed 24-Jun-15 14:06:56

Catthie thank goodness you've never seen me in the car after shopping grin

HopOnTheMonnerBus Wed 24-Jun-15 14:12:07

Checkout assistants can't win though.

I cut my finger at work once and when I told the customer I was serving I was going to get a plaster he snapped at me to "don't be ridiculous, it's only a bit, hurry up for god's sake" complete with eye roll.

Since then I've never known what to do, and cutting my fingers at work is an occupational hazard that happens at least once a shift.

WanderWomble Wed 24-Jun-15 14:18:04

There should be plasters available at the checkouts for the staff to use. It's gross for you, and a risk to him (infection from touching produce).

TheAssassinsGuild Wed 24-Jun-15 14:28:16

YANBU. This was unacceptable. I would have stopped the transaction, made sure he sorted himself out, and if he didn't I would have complained and asked for fresh items.

And BTW Hep B can survive for outside the body for at least 7 days. (But anyway who cares? Whether or not a potentially fatal virus can or cannot survive outside the body for long enough for the OP to get her produce home and start eating it really shouldn't be the deciding factor in whether or not she should be happy to accept food items with someone else's blood on them. And as for posters saying, well there are undoubtedly traces of animal waste, etc on food wrapping, would you be fine if he'd splashed urine on it, or taken a dump, not washed his hands and smeared a bit of poo on it?)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now