Talk

Advanced search

to delete facebook?

(18 Posts)
pollyisnotputtingthekettleon Tue 23-Jun-15 22:42:59

Background - I live away from family and joined FB to `keep in touch` maybe I have crap rellies but as soon as I joined the real life contact stopped ... friends I have know years send a cursery message now and again... if they want something/be nosey. I have til tomorrow to reactivate the account. I dont miss the funny stories, surveys and `band name type threads - I dont miss the `we went out without you` threads as I would never so this to someone else. I think I am more disappointed at the lack of chat and interaction that I thought it would provide. I do miss some of the groups and today a parent was trying to get hold of me re DD issue ...I also miss school updates/meeting threads AIBU to leave the account and see whos really interested in my life - and ask if any of you have given up and stayed off? 13 hours to go.

QueenBean Tue 23-Jun-15 22:44:46

No, you definitely aren't

Facebook used to be a nice useful tool for keeping in touch, but now the advertising revenue stuff has gone mad and it's more about Facebook pushing content to you rather than stuff you actually want to see

Plus the fact that it encourages all sorts of banal shit from people

You could just deactivate for a while but not delete your page altogether until you're sure

FarFromAnyRoad Tue 23-Jun-15 22:45:52

I thought that unless you were dead a FB account only lies dormant or has something changed? Anyway - as to your question - it sounds a bit cutting off your nose to spite your face to me.

JohnCusacksWife Tue 23-Jun-15 22:47:48

So have a rethink about the "friends" you have and keep the account for school pages etc. Facebook can be a very useful tool for some things but it's not all or nothing.

Toughasoldboots Tue 23-Jun-15 22:50:09

I shut mine down for three years, I deactivated it recently for a support group. I am not sure that it is ever deleted for ever if you have the same details.

Toughasoldboots Tue 23-Jun-15 22:50:27

Sorry *reactivated it

dangerrabbit Tue 23-Jun-15 22:51:47

YANBU

I deleted mine in 2007 and have still continued to have a social life without it

Those who want to keep in touch, do.

UglyBugaz Tue 23-Jun-15 22:56:00

I deleted mine a few years ago, I find it depressing and as others have said who wants to keep in touch will

PacificDogwood Tue 23-Jun-15 22:57:33

YANBU.

I deregisterd a few years ago (and was surprised how difficult that actually was hmm) and have never looked back.

JesseandCeline Tue 23-Jun-15 22:59:52

Pacific how do you deregistered as opposed to deactivate?

cleanmyhouse Tue 23-Jun-15 23:00:05

I'm planning on deleting mine after an event i've arranged at the weekend is all done and dusted.

PacificDogwood Tue 23-Jun-15 23:02:07

Gosh, I cannot remember - it took quite a lot of hunting around on the small print pages of FB. I got there in the end - could only confirm it by DH searching for me and not finding me grin

CrystalCove Tue 23-Jun-15 23:02:30

I don't understand this - it's just another social networking site, some people like it, some don't - why on earth would you think you are being unreasonable giving it up? No-one forces anyone to have a FB account.

jabbsy Tue 23-Jun-15 23:46:25

Instead of deleting, I UN-followed every one/group I had on there. It's made fb much better, now I actively stalk friends or groups in my time there rather than having info pushed on me as fb decides it.

dangerrabbit Wed 24-Jun-15 13:23:07

m.wikihow.com/Permanently-Delete-a-Facebook-Account

nikinaki Wed 24-Jun-15 13:28:04

of course Yanbu. I wouldn't delete mine because I have different groups (uni friends, work friends, home friends etc..) which is really useful to keep in contact as whole groups and to organise meet ups etc. . much less hassle than texting round everyone. But if you barely use it then no point

coffeetasteslikeshit Wed 24-Jun-15 13:28:42

Do what you like, it's your Facebook page.

In other news, I have decided to get rid of my telephone because no one interesting rings me.
What do you mean, who cares?

muminhants1 Wed 24-Jun-15 13:37:17

I am on FB but I have unfollowed everyone except relatives.

I use it for groups eg my running club, and as another means to contact people (and for them to contact me).

And I only use my landline to phone my parents!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now