To ask how this can ever work?

(5 Posts)
InanimateCarbonRod Tue 23-Jun-15 19:45:19

Some quick background. I worked in a fantastic team of 6 women with a male manager. We're autonomous so have weekly round table confcalls as some of the team are spread out globally. Four of us work in the same office. So male manager desides to retire early and one of the team members who works in the office with me got promoted. It's a little awkward at first as we move from friendly relationship to a more appropriately distant manager/minion one. Now the only problem is that she's started to micromanage me. She checking my work and querying decisions. We're results oriented. If we don't do our job then the company makes zero money so it's apparent quite quickly if one of us is slacking. AIBU to ask how the hell this can ever work? It's two wildly different management styles and its annoying me that I'm being (unfairly) micromanaged. And no I'm not jealous of her promotion!

LokiBear Tue 23-Jun-15 19:49:24

Ask for a meeting and talk to her directly. Avoid hitching to other staff about what a pita she is being. Be kind, professional and open minded

InanimateCarbonRod Tue 23-Jun-15 19:54:49

I won't bitch to the other girls at all. I'm not sure if she's doing it to others as I wouldn't dream of asking. I hate confrontation, it makes me cry hmm

Thancred Tue 23-Jun-15 20:42:19

I'd raise it in a non-confrontational way using the good old 'shit sandwich' technique.

Request a meeting. Say something positive like "I think you're really settling into your new role and making it your own". Then say how you're feeling "but there are times I feel a bit like I'm being micro managed and I'm not sure why". Then say something else positive.

Et voilà. Shit sandwich, point made, any ruffled feather smoothed with kind words either side of it.

CakeLady1 Tue 23-Jun-15 21:21:37

It could be that she has no idea how to actually do the role, so therefore is "being seen" to be 'managing' you, whereas she may have no idea how else to fill her time... Or no idea how to actually manage people

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now