Talk

Advanced search

To not be happy with this pricing policy

(16 Posts)
Booboostoo Tue 23-Jun-15 19:11:55

I attend a group exercising class. The cost is discounted because of the group as opposed to booking a private lesson and there are four people in the group.

The cost of the group varies depending on how many people turn up, so X if all other three people turn up, but X plus if only two other people turn up, and X plus plus if only one other person turns up. I have nothing to do with the bookings or the other people in the group. AIBU to find this policy weird and unfair?

I never know the cost of my class in advance as I never know how many people will turn up, recruitment for the class is not my concern so why should I pay for it and I have been asked to pay extra even when others do not turn up at the last minute (gym has a 24 hour cancellation policy so presumably the person who does not turn up has to pay anyway and we have to pay extra for the smaller group as well).

Is this standard practice?

mintpoppet Tue 23-Jun-15 20:04:54

Seems fine if you book as a group and know the others but not if it's a random bunch of strangers. Yanbu.

keepitsimple0 Tue 23-Jun-15 21:02:32

depends. if the organizer is profiting, yanbu. if the organizer is just one of the members in the class, then not.

wooldonor Tue 23-Jun-15 21:05:54

YANBU, a very odd way to price it.

I understand that the teacher will need to be sure that they get paid in full each time but they need to find a better way to do it.

honeysucklejasmine Tue 23-Jun-15 21:06:23

It does represent the extra attention you are getting, but does seem unfair if they are having to pay for missed class anyway... Assuming they are cancelling less than 24 hours in advance. Of course, no way of knowing it.

SeenSheen Tue 23-Jun-15 22:33:18

Next time you turn up and find too few people there, just apologise and leave saying it is beyond your budget. The risk should fall on the organiser who should also be able to profit from a high turnout.

Booboostoo Wed 24-Jun-15 06:16:07

It's a random bunch of strangers
The organiser is the instructor not a member of the group.
The missing people have not given notice because we all (including the organiser) wait for them to start, then conclude they won't be coming.

Good idea Seensheen!

CrohnicallyAspie Wed 24-Jun-15 06:25:04

Wouldn't it be fairer/easier if you all paid X plus (prices based on 3 of you in the group) regardless of how many people are there? Then if all 4 of you come the instructor gets a little extra, to balance out the times when only 2 of you are there and the instructor gets a little less.

MythicalKings Wed 24-Jun-15 06:33:36

The alternative may be to only run the class if 4 people are present.

Back2Two Wed 24-Jun-15 06:40:26

My yoga teacher tried this once. Totally unreasonable in my opinion.

confusedandemployed Wed 24-Jun-15 06:43:09

The only way to do this type of group is to make it, say, a 10-week course and everyone signs up to paying for it whether they go or not (or, possibly, could send someone in their place so the place isn't wasted if the -cba-- can't come.

bruffin Wed 24-Jun-15 06:43:48

I assume this is to cover the cost of the hire the premises.

confusedandemployed Wed 24-Jun-15 06:43:55

That should read if they cba can't come blush

TedAndLola Wed 24-Jun-15 08:12:39

I agree with confusedandemployed and that is the usual way to do it - you pay in advance and then if you don't turn up to some classes, that's up to you. The instructor has a guaranteed income and everyone pays the same.

PtolemysNeedle Wed 24-Jun-15 08:45:22

YANBU. It sounds bonkers.

CantBrainToday Wed 24-Jun-15 09:20:04

YANBU. I would not do the course if those were the terms. I don't feel it's fair you pay extra because someone else didn't turn up.

The course should be x amount per person for the duration of the course and can be paid in weekly chunks or upfront (usually a small discount for upfront) If you miss a week you still pay it next time you go.

Larger classes (around 10+) are a set fee per week for each week you attend.

They are the terms I would expect and how most work around here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now