Advanced search

In thinking that there's something a miss free 2 year funding

(23 Posts)
Ange80 Tue 23-Jun-15 19:07:07

Hi me and Dh have a just turned two year old, my Dh lost his job that paid fairly decent money and is now working in a job that only pays £15k hence why I'm now looking for work myself.

Anyway as his wages are so low we were advised by our health visitor to apply for the 2 year funding for our daughter and free school dinners for our older son but we were denied both as apparently you cannot be in receipt of working tax credits only child tax credits, and we get around £800 a year working tax credits.

This is fair enough however today my friend has announced that she has been awarded the 2 year funding for her son, despite her earning slightly more than Dh (just under 16k I think) but if she's only earning that much then surely she'd be entitled to the working tax credits like us hence she'd be turne down for the 2 year funding? She then told me that she's not entitled to free school dinners but I thought if you are entitled to the 2 year funding then you automatically qualify for free school meals as well, as they use the same criteria, Or am I missing something?

hazeyjane Tue 23-Jun-15 19:14:46

Child Tax Credit and/or Working Tax Credit and have an annual income under £16,190

This is how it is stated on the govt website.

There are also other reasons for eligibilty

Ange80 Tue 23-Jun-15 19:21:37

Oh so you can get working tax and qualify for the funding as long as your income is below 16k? I've absolutely no idea why we was refused it for our Dd then. Is this the same for free school meals as well only I could of sworn that you aren't eligible if you recieve even a penny of wtc only ctc?

Earthbound Tue 23-Jun-15 19:27:01

Income is not the only criteria though. Some children qualify for 2 year funding if recommend by a HV. A 2 year old I know got funding because he had a speech delay and it was thought spending time with his peers would help.

FanjoBean Tue 23-Jun-15 19:31:19

I receive WTC and also qualify for the funding. When I rang up to confirm they initially told me I didn't qualify but I argued it, as I earn below the threshold, the lady on the phone had to give HMRC a quick ring but she rang me straight back and told me I did in fact qualify.

Ange80 Tue 23-Jun-15 19:32:37

Yes I realise the government have brought in new criteria for the 2 year funding and children now who have additional needs, medical problems, recieve dla can now get the funding but none of these apply to my friend and her son. The only difference is she is a single parent and I'm in a couple but our income is very similar.

Ange80 Tue 23-Jun-15 19:35:29

But would you then qualify for free school meals as well? Only I thought the criteria for both fsm and the 2 year funding was the same. But we've been told we don't qualify for this either despite having an income below the threshold.

insancerre Tue 23-Jun-15 19:38:17

Do you live in the same local authority?
They might have different criteria in neighbouring councils
If not then it is likely to be that she is a single parent

ChickenLaVidaLoca Tue 23-Jun-15 19:38:46

Which tax year's income do they use to decide if you qualify?

Ange80 Tue 23-Jun-15 19:40:41

Yeah we live only a few streets from each other. And as far as I'm aware they use last year's income figures.

DeathMetalMum Tue 23-Jun-15 19:42:11

It may be because during the last tax year you were earning over the threshold? It could also be that there are no places, I rembember my healt visitor stheg that there would not be enough places in our area for everyone who would qualify. I'm notnot sure of all the ins and out except that we qualify for a two year place but I haven't sent dd.

AndNowItsSeven Tue 23-Jun-15 19:43:35

Free school dinners = no WTC can be claimed
Two year nursery funding = income under £16,190 can receive WTC
Other reasons such as looked after children, dla etc result in funding.

AndNowItsSeven Tue 23-Jun-15 19:44:52

They use the figure in your current tax credit awards so if have just renewed it will be next years estimated income.

AndNowItsSeven Tue 23-Jun-15 19:46:51

If you tried to claim
Funding using last years figures before your dh lost his job, renew then claim again.

Ange80 Tue 23-Jun-15 19:47:32

Ah right, I understand now. It's a bit harsh that, I mean you have a really low income and work yet you don't qualify for extra help with fan as getting wtc cancels your entitlement, I wouldn't mind but we only get £800 a year wtc.

AndNowItsSeven Tue 23-Jun-15 19:58:35

Yes it's harsh , also you can't choose not to claim WTC . Even a £5 a year claim or whatever would stop your receiving FSm.
Do claim two year funding again though.

AndNowItsSeven Tue 23-Jun-15 19:59:24

I mean you could not claim WTC but then you would have to cancel you while CTC claim.

AndNowItsSeven Tue 23-Jun-15 19:59:41

Your whole, stupid phone!

Metalguru Tue 23-Jun-15 20:09:07

Unless this varies from area to area, then you do qualify for the 2year funding on your present income, but not free school meals, you certainly do in my area

lougle Tue 23-Jun-15 20:19:29

Will the income from his last job between April 2015 and when he lost his job, added to his income for the rest of the tax year, all add up to less than £16140?

Dragonglass Tue 23-Jun-15 20:22:07

OP is your total income, including tax credits, over the threshold?

elliejjtiny Tue 23-Jun-15 20:22:23

You can apply through the HV or social services if you think your child would benefit from preschool early. It's quite difficult to get though and you don't always get the full 15 hours. We applied for DS1 as DS2 had SN and DS1 was getting unsettled by the constant appointments and lack of routine. We were awarded 3 hours a week and it had to be at a specific nursery over an hour away by public transport. We turned it down and paid for him to go 2 days a week to a nursery near to where DH worked.

snozzlemaid Tue 23-Jun-15 20:24:53

If your household income is below £16,190 a year now then you definitely will be eligible for 2year old funding.
You need to update your income with tax credits and then claim again. Once they have your updated income and you receive a letter confirming your new payments you should show up as eligible on the early years checking system.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now