Talk

Advanced search

any recommendations for patchwork quilt company/shop in SE London

(21 Posts)
teamB2011 Tue 23-Jun-15 16:58:49

would like to get one made for my daughter's first birthday as a keepsake to hopefully be passed on down the generations. any recommendations gratefully received. thanks

ThomasRichard Wed 24-Jun-15 14:34:02

Does it have to be in SE London? There are lots of quilt-makers online.

contractor6 Wed 24-Jun-15 15:33:00

Could make a simple one your self? Keep bits of clothing throughout years eg first blanket, first babygro, school uniform etc and when 18 sew it all together.

happyfeet2015 Wed 24-Jun-15 16:07:15

no, doesn't have to be SE London - any online recommendations?

Also good idea contractor6

ThomasRichard Wed 24-Jun-15 18:56:22

A friend of mine has just started making quilts available for sale and doing commissions. She's quilted for a while but only for fun, friends and family. Here's her link: Scouts Honour Quilts

Hexiegone Wed 24-Jun-15 19:01:22

Do you know what it is you're after, teamB, or were you wanting a browse?

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 24-Jun-15 19:08:42

I make quilts and would say that even a pretty crappy version you make would be a nicer thing than a professional one. You can make your own and get someone to finish it if you don't feel confident.

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 24-Jun-15 19:09:46

The thing with quilts is that you can start making the top and keep adding to it. As contractor says, collect bits and scraps.

chocomochi Wed 24-Jun-15 19:11:09

Your DCs will appreciate your efforts more when they are older.

happyfeet2015 Wed 24-Jun-15 19:20:43

you have inspired me to make my own! how do I start to make the top?
will i need a swing machine?

Sgtmajormummy Wed 24-Jun-15 19:24:12

Have a look at www.quiltroom.co.uk . This is the website of Pam and Nicky Lintott, the mother and daughter team based in Dorking, Surrey who have written very popular books for amateur (in my case VERY amateur) quilters. They sell quilting supplies and often have ex-demonstration quilts for sale.

Their workshop is open to visitors and they teach quilting, too. You might be inspired!

Sgtmajormummy Wed 24-Jun-15 19:28:12

I have made two Lintott Jelly Roll quilts for when my nephews started University and I was very pleased with myself. They have kits with everything you need on that site, too!

contractor6 Wed 24-Jun-15 19:44:55

Happy feet, if you are in se London google Greenwich adult courses they do a patchwork class for one day. Maybe an idea to do the squares yourself then get the finishing off done by a pro.

Sgtmajormummy Wed 24-Jun-15 20:20:30

My last effort! I had to add the red to make it a bit more masculine as I bought the Jellyroll to suit my tastes. It was all machine sewn and took about a month of my spare time. For the backing I used a thin IKEA duvet and a double bedsheet with handsewn "tufts". Professional quilting was too expensive when I'd already spent a LOT on the new fabric, but I must admit the "comforter" effect is lovely. His brother's quilt was the same, so no favouritism! If I can do it, anyone can. grin

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 24-Jun-15 21:19:35

I liked Quilting for Dummies when I started. I'll try to post one of mine in a jiffy. Not so stealth boating...

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 24-Jun-15 21:23:16

One of my first attempts.

teamB2011 Wed 24-Jun-15 21:40:57

they are both awesome! very impressed.

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 24-Jun-15 21:48:19

Well, you know <fakes modesty>.

It's actually quite easy. I'm not a great sewer but as long as you are pretty accurate, it should all work.

FlappertyFlippers Wed 24-Jun-15 21:57:03

It is very easy to sew a quilt, especially if you're not making it out of squares which have to match up.. Dh bought me a sewing machine and I made this beauty out of dd's old baby clothes. It was the first proper thing I sewed.

Just cut out squares and rectangles of fabric. Maybe iron on some interfacing on the stretchy bits (buy it off ebay) and then see strips of fabric that are the same width till they are just over 1 metre long. Then sew these lines of fabric together.

My quilt is roughly 1m by 140cm long and it fits perfectly on her bed. <preens>

Sgtmajormummy Wed 24-Jun-15 22:12:36

The Youtube videos made by Missouri Quilt Company are great for firing enthusiasm. The lovely lady is always saying "Isn't that just darling?!".

Sorry for the unstealthy boast picture before, but as so few of my home made "oddities" turn out well, I couldn't help myself... MrsTerry that must have taken a lot of work!

Hexiegone Thu 25-Jun-15 09:14:57

What lovely quilts! smile

YY to the Missouri Star Quilt Co on YT for tutorials. The binding one was a revelation, no more pesky bias binding.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now