Talk

Advanced search

school charging for sports day

(29 Posts)
Babytinx11 Tue 23-Jun-15 16:03:04

Ok so aibu to be ever so slightly annoyed that ds (4 years old) came out of school today with a letter informing me that I have to pay to attend his sports day confused I don't know any other school in my area at least that charges admittance for a sports day held on the school yard! I am every so slightly ok allot annoyed by this just wondering if I am being unfair

Denimwithdenim00 Tue 23-Jun-15 16:04:20

How much? Seems odd. Sure it's not just a school fund donation.

fourmeatpies Tue 23-Jun-15 16:05:36

I'd tell them to get stuffed. Schools shouldn't do this.

haveabreakhaveakitkat Tue 23-Jun-15 16:06:11

Does seem odd. Is it just a voluntary pound in a bucket type thing?

Babytinx11 Tue 23-Jun-15 16:06:27

The letter says £1 admission fee per person going its not so much the amount its that its a school sports day on the school yard

BeatieBo Tue 23-Jun-15 16:07:55

Our school always charges for Sports Day, nativities, concerts etc. It's just a £1 a ticket and raises money for the PTA. I think it's a good idea.

DisappointedOne Tue 23-Jun-15 16:08:10

My friend didn't get the option to go to her 4 year old's sports day. The infant one wasn't open to parents at all!

Babytinx11 Tue 23-Jun-15 16:08:18

fourmeatpies I am tempted but ds would be heart broken if we weren't there to see him

EponasWildDaughter Tue 23-Jun-15 16:09:07

That is a cheek.

It's likely to be a couple of kids holding buckets for you to drop the £1 in. They cant enforce this. Surely?

UglyBugaz Tue 23-Jun-15 16:09:18

Depends what the money is for, if it's going to fund the drinks/snacks I wouldn't have an issue.

Babytinx11 Tue 23-Jun-15 16:10:03

disappointedone they have divided the 2 sports days this one is just the little tots on the school yard its bad they wouldn't let your friend go through

OldBeanbagz Tue 23-Jun-15 16:10:16

Our's doesn't charge but there's always a tea/cake stall run by the PTA. Maybe it's just your school's way of paising funds?

OldBeanbagz Tue 23-Jun-15 16:11:02

raising funds

Babytinx11 Tue 23-Jun-15 16:11:13

uglybugaz he letter also tells us that refreshments are available for us to buy for ourselves and the dc's the school will be providing water and that's it

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Tue 23-Jun-15 16:11:29

Is it to fund new sports equipment maybe?

Yes, it is unusual (IME anyway) but I'm not sure it could be enforced. If you turned up and said "oops, silly me, I forgot my purse" what would they do? Not refuse entry surely.

What I find sad is that schools are under pressure to raise money to buy stuff because they don't receive enough funding in the first place. Personally, I would pay and not mind in the assumption it was going towards something that might benefit the school, and thereby my DCs.

EponasWildDaughter Tue 23-Jun-15 16:11:48

It would have been better to have informed parents that there would be a bucket for any voluntary contribution to the school fund. I'm sure there would be no bad feeling over that, and some would put in more than a pound, making up for those who chose not to contribute.

They can make a bit of cash on the day from a cake or refreshment stand.

DisappointedOne Tue 23-Jun-15 16:11:55

Ours does infants and nursery in the morning and juniors in the afternoon. No charge but the PTA sell teas, coffees and snacks.

Patchworkpatty Tue 23-Jun-15 16:12:41

wrong . in every way wrong. wrong at any school but especially a state school. For those struggling on low wages/benefits it could possibly be the difference between mum/dad coming or not. Appalling and makes me very angry, something's are not an opportunity for money making or fundraising no matter how worthy a cause, sometimes you should just be able to watch your child enjoy sports/chasing bean bags simply because you can. so angry on your behalf and don't even have primary age dcs. angry

Babytinx11 Tue 23-Jun-15 16:13:22

santas I wouldn't mind if they said what the money was for but since the start of this term they have every week asked for something which we of course pay but there is no explanation at all for why they want this

haveabreakhaveakitkat Tue 23-Jun-15 16:19:28

It is wrong to word it as 'admission' fee.

'There will be a bucket at the gate if you would like to make a donation to the school fund'

Would be much better.

formerbabe Tue 23-Jun-15 16:24:16

I don't think it's a big deal...its just a quid and will presumably go towards the school so no issue.

PtolemysNeedle Tue 23-Jun-15 16:25:13

It is a bit cheeky, but schools have charged for tickets to plays for years, so it's not a completely new thing. Schools are so underfunded at the moment they're practically forced into doing things like this. It's shit, but I'd let it go.

Littlecaf Tue 23-Jun-15 16:28:50

Christ, it's a couple of quid. Just pay it.

fastdaytears Tue 23-Jun-15 16:34:43

I think this is a mistake because they'd raise more by asking for donations. If you've been told to pay £1 then that's all you'll pay and probably feel a bit put out. If it was support the school by making a donation a lot of people would put more in I reckon.

Topseyt Tue 23-Jun-15 16:40:33

Our primary school doesn't charge, or certainly didn't when my DDs were all there.

If I recall rightly there was a nominal charge/donation for tea, coffee & biscuits.

I find it rather unusual, but I suppose in the face of swinging budget cuts some schools will feel forced to try this. I don't think I would like it, though I would feel somewhat obligated.

Have they not made a mistake though by calling it an admissions fee? They have to cover the cost of school trips by calling it "voluntary contributions", is this not similar? Should it not be a voluntary contribution? Kids with collection buckets maybe, or refreshment and cake stalls?

I am glad mine are all of secondary school age now. None of this sort of bollocks. No pressure to turn up at sports days pretending to have a wonderful time there, and with a false Cheshire cat grin pasted onto my face.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now