Talk

Advanced search

'Breastfeeding is disgusting'

(124 Posts)
startwig1982 Mon 22-Jun-15 22:20:41

Two people I know, one a friend and the other more of an acquaintance, were having this conversation this evening.
Basically the friend said she was uncomfortable seeing mothers breastfeeding and later said to me, either do it in the toilet or use a bottle.shock
The acquaintance went as far as saying it's the same as someone 'doing a shit in the middle of the restaurant'!angry She was so provocative and rude and when I said that I feed my dd out and about and you can't see anything, she said it's disgusting and she would have to say something.
So here's the AIBU: we are all performing at an event in about 3/4 weeks. Wibu to ask my DH to bring my dd to the rehearsal so I can sit and provoke openly feed her? I'm so enraged by their conversation that I feel the need to change at least my friend's mind.

Leaflitter Mon 22-Jun-15 22:22:16

Sit and feed her wearing only * tassels and a thong.

IceBeing Mon 22-Jun-15 22:23:27

I wouldn't set out for a confrontation...but I also wouldn't avoid feeding in front of them if it happened to be necessary.

I don't think I could be friends with someone who held such ridiculous childish opinions tbh.

AnyFucker Mon 22-Jun-15 22:23:37

why are these people your friends ? confused

gamerchick Mon 22-Jun-15 22:26:08

It always weirdos me out when people compare babies getting their dinner to having a shit.

It makes me wonder what kind of minds they have confused

paulapompom Mon 22-Jun-15 22:27:26

Outrageous!! How is 'doing a shit' comparable with a baby drinking. YaNbu to do whstever you want in front of these two. Go for it x

LineRunner Mon 22-Jun-15 22:28:26

What useless friends you have.

startwig1982 Mon 22-Jun-15 22:29:12

Well my actual friend I've known for 13 years and she's never expressed these sort of opinions before. She's always been pretty moderate on her views! Neither have children btw.

ApocalypseThen Mon 22-Jun-15 22:29:16

Pretty disgusting ones. Maybe there are people for whom all bodily functions are like opening your bowels? How can they bear to eat themselves?

NowSissyThatWalk Mon 22-Jun-15 22:29:26

Ugh. What a pair of fucknuggets.

Do it.

and Immeadiatley report back

LeChien Mon 22-Jun-15 22:30:07

I'm sure you know YANBU.
Unless this is a trick post and dd stands for darling dog.

paulapompom Mon 22-Jun-15 22:31:12

Fucknuggets! grin

I take it these friends of yours don't drink any kind of milk, or eat milk products then? Because that's far worse, as it's from another species. Practically bestiality. hmm Your "friends" are clearly idiots.

HomefromHome1 Mon 22-Jun-15 22:35:41

I can't imagine being so angry because of someone's view.
I just don't get it- why should everyone in the world be pro bf?

The friend doesn't need to be pro- BF. She just needs not to be a dick about other people's choices.

WorraLiberty Mon 22-Jun-15 22:38:13

Take a shit on the floor in the middle of the event

Apologise and explain that you were missing your baby.

Stillyummy Mon 22-Jun-15 22:38:44

I think it is disgusting. And before anyone flames me, I am currently doing it as I can and it is what is best for my baby. Doesn't stop me feeling totally repulsed by it though.

Iggi999 Mon 22-Jun-15 22:39:06

They don't have to be pro-bf, they should just aim not to be total twats to their "friend".

Jux Mon 22-Jun-15 22:42:07

I met a woman when I was pg who had views like those. She banged on about 'titties' with much flapping of hands and pulling of disgusted faces.

Some people find anything to do with normal body function vile and revolting; it's very strange, and rather sad.

In your place, I would certainly feed my baby in front of those women with no qualms at all.

CoffeeAndBiscuitsPlease Mon 22-Jun-15 22:42:07

I don't breastfeed. But anyone who is repulsed or thinks weird about it must have some underlying issues......

People will happily drink milk from the udders of another animal who has been made to believe it needs to feed a child but have too many strange opinions on people doing it from their own bodies. Baffles me.

Iggi999 Mon 22-Jun-15 22:42:08

Stillyummy it's hard not to wonder what your experiences are doing for your bond with your baby - I don't think I could do it if I thought it "disgusting".
Though mind you nappies are disgusting and I still change them. Breastfeeding is a joy by comparison.

fattymcfatfat Mon 22-Jun-15 22:42:23

I FF both of mine and will with the one due next month. I see absolutely nothing wrong with feeding a baby however the mother chooses. what's disgusting is peoples attitude to BF.

DakotaFanny Mon 22-Jun-15 22:43:15

Record her saying it and play it back to her when she has her own children. i have a' friend' who was so fucking judgemental about motherhood pre-children, and is now a crappy parent. I would like to thrust her pre-opinions down her throat, like she thought it was fine to tell me hers when I had kids and she did not. Eg: any mother who works is shit (she works 4 days now). "My child will never eat snacks" but walks round with a packet of crisps glued to her hand now etc etc.

#bitter #notfriendsanymore #shetooisafucknugget

Sallyingforth Mon 22-Jun-15 22:43:36

I'm sorry but I can't believe your 'friends' could be so stupid.

PerspicaciaTick Mon 22-Jun-15 22:44:28

Next time you see one of them eating or drinking, look really repulsed and tell them that, if they absolutely have to slurp and slobber, you'd appreciate it if they did it in the toilets where you don't need to watch them.

Not that I would coward but they sound horrible and insensitive. I would love there to be some way to force them to engage their brains.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now