Talk

Advanced search

To think it's not normal to be so void of emotion?

(58 Posts)
Voidofreality Mon 22-Jun-15 17:17:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Floggingmolly Mon 22-Jun-15 17:18:54

No.

UnspecialSnowflake Mon 22-Jun-15 17:22:43

Normal is subjective, however you're not average. Most people feel emotions, but some don't, you're not the only person who doesn't, but you're in a minority.

RachelRagged Mon 22-Jun-15 17:26:07

No it isn't normal OP

I feel sorry for you. My Son seems to lack emotion as well, apart from anger oddly enough.

mothertruckers Mon 22-Jun-15 17:31:20

I do get this OP completely. I feel like get colder as I get older. Heaven knows how I got like this.

hedgehogsdontbite Mon 22-Jun-15 17:34:44

This is what I felt like when I suffered from depression. Not sad or unhappy like some seem to assume, just empty and devoid of feeling.

momtothree Mon 22-Jun-15 17:36:57

Do you have children? Do you feel the same towards them as say your mom?

spillyobeans Mon 22-Jun-15 17:37:32

Perhaps you have depression as that isnt just feeling sad, you can just feel nothing.

Also maybe you have a personality disorder? Go to gp and ask? Sorry not sure

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Mon 22-Jun-15 17:38:51

Before anyone comes up with this. Lack of empathy is NOT part of being on the autistic spectrum.

Aermingers Mon 22-Jun-15 17:41:33

It sounds like some kind of personality disorder. Have you had a good google about this sort of thing? I don't want to name names of conditions, but I can think of a few you could track down via Google pretty easily. If it was short term, I might think of depression, but you sound like you've felt like this forever. I believe it's something that's more common than you might think, around 1 in 100 suffer from something similar.

Do you have children? Do you feels something for them?

TheFirstOfHerName Mon 22-Jun-15 17:42:02

I feel numb . Permanently numb.

Some people do feel emotions less acutely than others, but feeling numb can also be a sign of depression.

Voidofreality Mon 22-Jun-15 17:42:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GirlInterupted Mon 22-Jun-15 17:43:52

Do you have dc?

hackmum Mon 22-Jun-15 17:44:10

OP, do you think you were born like this or did something happen to you as a young child to make you this way? It sounds very unusual.

mrssmith79 Mon 22-Jun-15 17:44:46

This level of apathy is quite concerning, have you ever thought about speaking to your GP about it? Assuming it's something you'd like to address of course.

GirlInterupted Mon 22-Jun-15 17:44:49

And did you have a difficult childhood?

GirlInterupted Mon 22-Jun-15 17:46:14

I'm a bit like this and I think it's a defence mechanism. My dc are the only people I have strong emotions about

Cabawill Mon 22-Jun-15 17:48:50

I completely understand how you feel. I don't thinks it's "normal" but I keep thinking of I keep trying the feelings will come.

I also plan and really look forward to things and then have no joy in actually doing them. I also feel slightly paranoid about what other people are thinking a bit like questioning why the are worried/anxious/sad because I don't understand it.

It's the empathy for others I really struggle with. I am definitely not on the spectrum in anyway but do wonder if there's something in the chemicals in my brain or something that's not quite right.

Theknacktoflying Mon 22-Jun-15 17:49:15

Asking an internet forum to diagnose or say what is normal isn't that helpful.

Is it avfecting your life? Your relationships? Your work?

MistressChalk Mon 22-Jun-15 18:04:34

OP does it bother you or make you sad/annoyed that you have no emotion or is it just something you've noticed? I have a personality disorder and have felt exactly the way you describe but my emotions did come back although an be stunted from time to time if I'm going through a bad phase. And whilst it may not be the norm it certainly isn't abnormal, it's far more common than you think.

RachelRagged Mon 22-Jun-15 18:07:20

I agree with GirlInterupted

Sometimes its easier to bury emotions (not saying you have done so), build a wall even to lock out any (emotions). The problem there is you also block out those closest, just a thought .

Could be depression as well , I have that and feel empty but only from time to time.

hiddenhome Mon 22-Jun-15 18:09:52

Perhaps a personality disorder.

What's your interaction levels and relationships with others like?

Look up 'blunting of affect' on Google.

NomiMalone Mon 22-Jun-15 18:11:23

I'm a bit like this.

However I have two DC and the crazy intense love and protectiveness that I feel for them reassures me somewhat that I'm not a sociopath.

PandaMummyofOne Mon 22-Jun-15 18:13:14

I'm generally a very cold person. It's a tactic I learnt in childhood to cope with situations is rather not go into now.

I love my DS and DP but don't 'feel' like I imagine I should, IYSWIM.

prorsum Mon 22-Jun-15 18:13:57

It's more common than you think. Are you unhappy with yourself and want to make changes?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now