Talk

Advanced search

Called in sick (work through an agency so they will find someone else and I will lose pay) and I was told that I sound sprightly

(12 Posts)
feelinganxious192 Mon 22-Jun-15 07:34:36

Am working as a TA and am on my fourth week of work. Have a cold / blocked ears / swimming head, bodily tired kind of feeling and felt bad yesterday. It is true that I am not ill in bed, but am feeling that a. I don't want to breathe all over the kids and b. if I stay at home today I can recover completely and go back tomorrow.

So I rang the agency at 7.00am and said I wanted to call in sick. I was asked what was wrong as I sound sprightly. I said I have a cold and headache and do not want to breathe all over the kids. Sounds kind of lame - but did I have to go into all my symptoms to justify myself? It's not as if I am going to be paid for staying at home. H thinks I should email and complain about their attitude.

Am now even wondering if I should have gone to work? Though I definitely feel strange. Should I have dosed myself up instead? Given that they will probably find someone else to do what I do today and that I am not being paid, is it the end of the world? Just feel very tired.

elderflowerlemonade Mon 22-Jun-15 07:36:23

That's so rude of them. Don't know about complaining but I would be tempted to ring up about an unrelated matter and then mention you were unhappy about being quizzed re being ill.

popalot Mon 22-Jun-15 07:39:18

I would have said I was having a fever - that sounds like what you're describing. They were a bit rude, how do they know how you're feeling?! No, you should stay at home. Bet there are a few kids/adults off with it too.

RachelRagged Mon 22-Jun-15 08:06:43

YANBU

You are unwell , and thinking of the children you TA for . Hope you feel a lot better soon.

feelinganxious192 Mon 22-Jun-15 09:33:00

Thank you.

I think I made the right decision not to go in.

Will mention what the person on the phone said to my usual contact (who is away at the moment) at some point in an email or on the phone.

RepeatAdNauseum Mon 22-Jun-15 09:35:42

I suppose from your point of view, you aren't being paid and don't feel like going in, so it makes sense.

From their point of view, they'll have to find a replacement on a Monday morning and that might mean paying more, and I suppose a cold isn't the end of the world, you've said yourself you could have gone in dosed up.

Totally unprofessional of them to call you on it, though.

feelinganxious192 Mon 22-Jun-15 09:44:16

I agree repeat but am sitting here feeling unwell (heavy head, loud breathing, runny nose type of thing - here I go again trying to justify myself grin) so I think I did make the right decision.

It's true that I am not in bed and that if I had been the class teacher I would probably would have felt much more internal and external pressure to go in - difficult to know where to draw a line.

Would they have to pay someone else more? At the most I think it would be a difference of about £10 judging by what I have heard?

But yes am wondering if I am being a flake. Too late now - onwards and upwards - will go back in tomorrow hopefully.

Thymeout Mon 22-Jun-15 10:16:07

In teaching, you can't stay at home just because you might spread cold germs through breathing over the kids. You'd have half the staff off in the peak season. You're also expected to work through a cold, for the same reason.

If you've only been with the agency for 4 weeks, you haven't yet built up a reputation for reliability. I'm sorry, whether or not you get sick pay, your excuse did sound lame and I think you'd be unwise to complain about being asked details of your illness.

You've put the agency to a lot of inconvenience. They will have to ring round and find someone else, who may well not be able to get to the school in time to start work, which will mean the teacher will be short-handed. It's not like an office job.

DoreenLethal Mon 22-Jun-15 10:22:09

They will have people on stand by - they always do.

Strange that a qualified doctor is working in a supply agency. Perhaps they might find a better paid role once the government rolls out the new GP recruitment campaign. wink

ilovesooty Mon 22-Jun-15 10:25:41

I agree with Thymeout

I think complaining would not be helpful to you in the long term if you're hoping to build your reputation and you're hoping for more work from them.

feelinganxious192 Mon 22-Jun-15 10:26:34

Ok I appreciate the point about spreading of germs thyme.

My excuse probably sounded lame but I think I made the right decision because I really do feel unwell. I am not just blowing my nose.

You've put the agency to a lot of inconvenience. I am not irresponsible (and am very happy about being in work and working where I do) and would absolutely have gone in if I didn't feel like I do.

I was taken aback by being told I sound sprightly (which is different to being asked the details of my illness) - which I do think is rude, and am second guessing myself now, but actually I don't think I need to.

feelinganxious192 Mon 22-Jun-15 10:28:35

And yes I won't complain. Would not normally be speaking to that person anyway, hopefully my usual person will be back soon.

doreen grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now