Talk

Advanced search

to think this is ridiculously grabby?

(239 Posts)
queentroutoftrouts Sun 21-Jun-15 21:52:11

I have received a baby shower invitation via Facebook from an acquaintance and she has listed various requests including
please bring size 4 nappies and wipes
£10 cash or vouchers for next and mother care, NO PRESENTS PLEASE
£10 entry fee and at the bottom she has added 'men allowed'
Is this the done thing nowadays then or aibu to be shocked at how entitled she is being? Since when did you charge guests to attend your baby shower?
The size 4 nappies are presumably for her elder child unless she is giving birth to a giant.

ghostyslovesheep Sun 21-Jun-15 21:53:35

lord no - that's amazingly rude and grabby

BlueBananas Sun 21-Jun-15 21:55:08

An entry fee?! shock!
Please tell me you're not going?!!

steff13 Sun 21-Jun-15 21:55:24

I've never been to a baby shower that charged an entry fee. The only time I've ever paid for the shower itself was when I was hosting it, and then I NEVER would have asked the guests to pay anything to attend.

I wouldn't go.

AuntyMag10 Sun 21-Jun-15 21:55:26

Yanbu, very grabby.

Sirzy Sun 21-Jun-15 21:56:13

How cheeky!

Corygal Sun 21-Jun-15 21:56:17

Don't go. Comedy greed.

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 21-Jun-15 21:57:05

The suggestion for presents wouldn't bother me.

However the entry fee is just ...... shock

queentroutoftrouts Sun 21-Jun-15 21:57:10

No i think i will give it a miss wink

WiIdfire Sun 21-Jun-15 21:57:25

Entry fee? Entry fee????? Weird.
Is this a shower for herself? Etiquette says a friend or relative organises it for you.

My sister threw me a baby shower last week - I was really looking forward to having a tea party with my friends but felt really uncomfortable with the grabby nature of it all. So In my case my sister said either 'no presents' or if they wanted to, then perhaps bring a second hand childs book with a comment in the front (idea stolen off here). Even so, people still brought gifts which was very generous of them. We had a great afternoon though!

stqueen Sun 21-Jun-15 21:57:37

An entry fee???? WT actual F? Erm, YANBU.

formerbabe Sun 21-Jun-15 21:57:38

Entry fee shock
Hilarious!!!
Why on earth would you pay to go to a baby shower?!

fastdaytears Sun 21-Jun-15 21:58:53

WHAT? shock

But I'm going to go against the grain. You need to go and live post the horror. I'll chip in for the Next voucher. Is it £10 in vouchers plus £10 entry fee? Well it's weird whatever way you look at it and I can see why she's an acquaintance and not a friend...

iloveport Sun 21-Jun-15 22:00:29

Do people really exist that believe they are entitled to gifts for being pregnant? Really?
men are allowed you've gotta give it to her she knows how to get maximum her entry fees.

queentroutoftrouts Sun 21-Jun-15 22:01:38

A couple of friends are going and they didn't seem to think it was unusual which is what prompted me to ask if i was being unreasonable.
I will get them to report back grin

fastdaytears Sun 21-Jun-15 22:02:04

I was thinking about feeding the cat in a minute. Will out the kettle on too so you guys are all invited. £6.99 entrance fee.

honeyroar Sun 21-Jun-15 22:03:09

I knew someone who invited us to her 40th party and charged £15 entry (no free bar or anything). I didn't go, nor did a good few others. We had a good laugh about it her on a different night out. It was the final nail for that friendship. It was always all about her.

OP reply saying you'd love to come, but would need £15 for a taxi fare to their house and a guarantee that you will be drinking champagne all night. See if they reply!

Only1scoop Sun 21-Jun-15 22:04:27

A joke surely

iloveport Sun 21-Jun-15 22:05:46

There's a charge of £5 for posting my thoughts on your thread by the way. See your and your cheque, laters!

CrystalHaze Sun 21-Jun-15 22:08:23

Someone will come along in a minute and tick you all off for judging the poor pregnant lady when you don't know her full situation, yadda yadda yadda ... wink

MissJoMarch Sun 21-Jun-15 22:09:05

I went to a baby shower like this.

£5 entry fee for some disgusting Iceland canapés, revolting cup cakes and nasty bubbles.

We were asked to bring gifts & notified they would be opened in public (no pressure)

The family gloated in ear shot at how much booze was left over - the lady in question has continued to be a grabby Facebook drama queen whose a PITA.

WixingMords Sun 21-Jun-15 22:09:11

Does it actually say 'entry fee'?

Well that's baffling.

expatinscotland Sun 21-Jun-15 22:10:50

NO this is not normal. It is tacky and low-rent and uncouth. Don't go.

CrystalHaze Sun 21-Jun-15 22:11:42

Why are you still friends with her, MissJo? I'd have kicked the moo into touch long ago!

Still, you're very generous to refer to her as a 'lady'.

nocoolnamesleft Sun 21-Jun-15 22:15:22

I'm with fastdaytears: we need you to go, and report back. It is your duty to mumsnet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now