To think it's inappropriate to use this term?

(45 Posts)
Welshmaenad Sun 21-Jun-15 20:18:26

I picked up a pack of Bleach London bleaching kit and a couple of cream dyes in Boots today.

Was just looking at the back of the bleaching kit pack and it says it's for " blondorexics and casual bleach dabblers".

AIBU to think that's a really inappropriate bastardisation of anorexics, in this context? It's such a serious disease, I don't claim to be any kind of expert on the terminology but it seems very 'pro ana' and disrespectful of sufferers.

If IANBU how should I word my complaint to the company?

StockingFullOfCoal Sun 21-Jun-15 20:19:34

Word it strongly.

angry Twats.

CtrlAltDelicious Sun 21-Jun-15 20:20:20

Hmm - do you feel the same about phrases such as workaholic, or chocaholic?

MistressMerryWeather Sun 21-Jun-15 20:20:47

YANBU.

It doesn't even make sense.

peckforton Sun 21-Jun-15 20:20:49

Blondoholics? spiting alcoholics, what word would you suggest for people who love really bleached hair?

DayToDayShit Sun 21-Jun-15 20:21:28

I dont think it has any relation t anorexia tbh. It just means 'extreme' (i think)

CactusAnnie Sun 21-Jun-15 20:21:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Sun 21-Jun-15 20:21:53

I wouldn't give it head space tbh.

Welshmaenad Sun 21-Jun-15 20:22:49

Blondaholics would make sense, and doesn't stigmatise anyone, the suffix -aholic just means addicted to.

Blondorexics - wtf??

peckforton Sun 21-Jun-15 20:23:09

I was a bit of a bleach queen and bought their products but never noticed that I was more interested if they were any good.

ShatnersBassoon Sun 21-Jun-15 20:23:58

It doesn't make sense at all. Like all the something-aholic words that piss me off too. Meaningless and trivialising.

MistressMerryWeather Sun 21-Jun-15 20:24:32

Exactly Cactus.

Unless people are eating the stuff it.

LobsterQuadrille Sun 21-Jun-15 20:24:53

-aholic just means addicted to.

Not really - addicted to alcohol = alcoholic. Therefore addicted to work should = workic. I hate "workaholic" for the same reason cited in the OP.

FirstWeTakeManhattan Sun 21-Jun-15 20:31:39

Oh God, I can't believe I'm about to write this, but YANBU. I know that some of you will think I"m being a precious arse, but I'm not and I don't have any form for being a precious arse.

I did have have anorexia for years in my 20's, and yes, I find that made-up word triggering. There, I've said it.

Kate Moss said something years ago about always being 'a bit 'rexy' which I also found triggering.

I know that grammatically it doesn't make sense. I realise that it shouldn't make sense. But it's triggering for me.

Not saying it should be banned, as thankfully it won't bother most people, but YANBU to have clocked it, basically.

Pipbin Sun 21-Jun-15 20:32:06

Putting -oholic on the end of a word is like gate as a suffix, lazy.

As for the actual OP, that word is worthy of a complaint.

AyMamita Sun 21-Jun-15 20:42:19

Meh. Sunbed addicts are often called tanorexic. I think you're going out of your way to be offended! YABU.

Kennington Sun 21-Jun-15 20:43:07

It's greek
The suffix orexia means appetite for

An means without
Hence anorexic means without appetite
I think linguists will be along in a minute and be more precise

lljkk Sun 21-Jun-15 20:44:58

I don't understand how Blondorexic would stigmatise; it implies to me a disinclination to be blonde, though, so basically exact opposite of what they meant.

Blonde-aholic would be cute (having a shallow moment perhaps).

sharonthewaspandthewineywall Sun 21-Jun-15 20:47:16

While you're at it you should complain about the hair dye brand manic panic- clearly minimising manic depression

Tigi's dumb blonde products- stereotyping all blondes.

Where does it end?

MistressMerryWeather Sun 21-Jun-15 20:47:25

I have tweeted them. Let's see what they say.

Klayden Sun 21-Jun-15 20:54:32

Tanorexic is not only offensive but it's stupid and makes no sense. It's meant to mean addicted to tanning? It doesn't mean that!

Klayden Sun 21-Jun-15 20:55:14

Manic depression isn't even a diagnosis anymore and at least the term means something.

WayneRooneysHair Sun 21-Jun-15 20:58:06

I suspect that it's trying to be funny, I'd complain.

AudiR8 Sun 21-Jun-15 21:07:49

It is definitely distasteful but not something I would complain about to be honest.

crustsaway Sun 21-Jun-15 21:11:49

Id not really get my hair off about it grin

I often say a term that depicts something in a stronger sense. I say I have OCD sometimes. I say Im a work-holic sometimes. I say I have ADHD sometimes.

It's called having a sense of humour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now