Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to ignore my DC for the next 30 minutes ?

(27 Posts)
Bonkers92 Sun 21-Jun-15 19:12:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Blarblarblar Sun 21-Jun-15 19:13:29

Ignore. You said you would you should.

MarchLikeAnAnt Sun 21-Jun-15 19:14:46

YANBU.

BettyCatKitten Sun 21-Jun-15 19:15:59

Ignore and brew or wine

EatDessertFirst Sun 21-Jun-15 19:16:01

Ignore. My four year old DS is doing that shouty crying with no tears interspersed with 'Mummy I need you!' at the moment. He is exhausted but loves to have the last word.

Wideopenspace Sun 21-Jun-15 19:19:34

My (recently potty trained but in pull ups) 3 year old has discovered the hold grail of 'Mummeeeeeee I need a weeeee and I can't go in my big boy paaaaants'.

hmm

Wideopenspace Sun 21-Jun-15 19:19:54

*in pull ups overnight

Iloveonionchutney Sun 21-Jun-15 19:21:37

Ignore my dd (4) still tries this occasionally, going back up just prolongs the misery!

slightlyconfused85 Sun 21-Jun-15 19:30:01

Yanbu. If you've told them you're not coming back then don't- they are not unwell I presume so can go to bed! Enjoy a cup of tea smile

reni1 Sun 21-Jun-15 19:33:08

Teeth, potty, favourite teddy done I trust? Then ignore, Yanbu.

arethereanyleftatall Sun 21-Jun-15 20:01:03

Ignore today. And ignore tomorrow. And the next day. I have always put my dc in bed, made sure they have everything they need, then explained it's grown up time and ignored them thereafter.

Superlovely Sun 21-Jun-15 20:12:54

During the day tell them that now they are incredibly big, grown up and important people they do not need to call you all the time and that you will be downstairs doing very important jobs ( not drinking wine, watching TV). Then ignore.

Only1scoop Sun 21-Jun-15 20:15:51

Without a doubt ignore

Dd would only dare call or get out of bed in an emergency. smile

Stick with it.

Bonkers92 Sun 21-Jun-15 20:19:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

wintersdawn Sun 21-Jun-15 20:21:36

I feel your pain, mine are 4 and 2 and we are doing the same. The 2yo just screams at his door as he cant open it, so the 4yo who has just learnt the I need a wee trick, helpfully goes and opens the other door so he stops screaming ��

ohtheholidays Sun 21-Jun-15 20:22:10

Bonkers would it make a difference if you put them to bed later maybe?

Spog Sun 21-Jun-15 20:26:01

keep ignoring their testing of you.
don't give in, because they are playing you.
they need to learn to settle down and stay in bed.

Purplepoodle Sun 21-Jun-15 21:38:49

Chart? Smiley face for ever night they stay quietly in bed and sad face for nights they don't. End of week gets a very nice treat if they earn 5 smiles. Bribery works wonders

reni1 Sun 21-Jun-15 21:40:12

Purple, any less than 5 smileys in 7 days means a report card to Santa!

lljkk Sun 21-Jun-15 21:51:15

I'd end up parking in the hallway & scolding at ever noise or move.

Pippa12 Sun 21-Jun-15 21:55:16

Report card to Santa- lol!

Not unreasonable at all, stick with it and within a few days they will realise you aren't coming back upstairs. I insist on wee's before bed, drink of water by bed, teeth, one story- bedtime! X

missymayhemsmum Sun 21-Jun-15 22:49:52

Bedtime routine, loo, teeth, story, teddy, lullaby, cat, drink, and goodnight. First trip back up the stairs, smile, check everything ok, kiss, night night.
second trip up stairs, stony face, need met, goodnight, no kiss, see you in the morning. That's it for tonight, girls. Enough.
Leave them to it.

Blarblarblar Mon 22-Jun-15 06:29:51

Sticker charts work wonders I agree. My DC really struggled to get the rules when he started school (he can be quite a handful) so we put in place a star chart at home. Everyday the teacher said he listened well didn't get in trouble, he got a star. He decided what the treat was ie swimming/climbing wall/pizza out, and worked to get it (got stars for great behaviour at home too) Lasted 3 months everything improved, sticker chart gone.

IHateStampysVoice Mon 22-Jun-15 08:25:45

OP my 4 year old was like this. I told him we would take him for a day out (there's a place near us that has animals, parks, soft place etc etc) if he gets 20 red stars as long as he didn't get out of bed.

It worked wonders.

However, this never would have worked with my eldest at the same age, he was a whole different kettle of fish so I understand only too well that this won't work for all children.

IHateStampysVoice Mon 22-Jun-15 08:26:35

Also, they both have to 'play ball' so to speak. So if one of them gets out then they let the other one down and no star is earned. They both have to be good to earn one star.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now