Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think performing exorcisms on children is abuse?

(70 Posts)
Anonimoose Sat 20-Jun-15 20:11:13

Someone I know has done this to their 10 and 11 year olds. I feel rather uneasy about it. AIBU?

BackInTheRealWorld Sat 20-Jun-15 20:11:56

Nope I agree with you.

mrsdavidbowie Sat 20-Jun-15 20:12:58

Of course its abuse! Report them.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

chickenfuckingpox Sat 20-Jun-15 20:16:09

its just a candle book and bell job? no actual physical harm involved?

chickenfuckingpox Sat 20-Jun-15 20:16:39

i thought the catholic church prohibited those?

UnspecialSnowflake Sat 20-Jun-15 20:17:55

What made these people think their children needed exorcising? Are they members of some kind of fundamentalist church?

I'm no expert but from what I've read exorcisms can take diffrent forms, from a kind of prayer and blessing ceremony to full on physical assault. If it's the former then while their reasons for doing it are dubious at best the ceremony itself was probably not traumatic for the children, if it's the latter then it's time to call SS.

chickenfuckingpox Sat 20-Jun-15 20:20:55

ok so its basically a prayer thing not really harmful though is it? ive Wikipedia it and all the major religions apart from Jews just use a prayer ritual to cast out demons the Jews seem to use a type of potion too

chickenfuckingpox Sat 20-Jun-15 20:22:01

unless its a wacky church cult type thing? is it?

WorraLiberty Sat 20-Jun-15 20:23:18

I think it's pretty emotionally harmful to convince a child they have demons inside them, that need to be got rid of.

manicinsomniac Sat 20-Jun-15 20:24:00

It depends chicken , it's not necessarily as 'harmless' as prayers and candles (even that could be frightening and psychologically harmful.)

Some 'churches' practise exorcism that includes ritual beating, whipping and screaming in people's faces. It can be horrifically abusive.

Anonimoose Sat 20-Jun-15 20:24:50

It wasn't a Christian exorcism. As far as I know it involved prayer/ chanting over children, water splashed on them, standing still. It lasted a couple of hours. I'm not sure what else as the person wouldn't give full details. At least one child was crying when being chanted over, other child has SN. The house was "cleansed" at the same time.

Fairylea Sat 20-Jun-15 20:25:32

Of course it's abuse.

No child should ever be made to believe they have demons inside them. How frightening regardless of the methods used to expel the said demons.

Definitely report to nspcc and social services.

iwanttogotothechaletschool Sat 20-Jun-15 20:25:51

Even if it is a mild, non traumatic ritual I would be very concerned as to their reasons for doing it.

WaferInMyCoffee Sat 20-Jun-15 20:26:08

Wow, this hugely depends on all the details. Did they say a prayer over their children to keep them from evil? Did they light a candle and say the Lord's Prayer? Did they shake them violently and shout "Begone Evil Demon!"

Did the someone you know actually use the word exorcism? Did they tell you they cast out demons? Do they think their children are evil?

I don't think you can just say "exorcism is child abuse" - the details are vastly important.

WaferInMyCoffee Sat 20-Jun-15 20:27:02

Ok, cross post, sorry. That dos sound very worrying sad

Moomintroll85 Sat 20-Jun-15 20:27:27

Yanbu. Even if there's no physical abuse I would have thought it could be traumatising for the kids if they feel like their parents think there's something wrong with them that needs 'praying out'. confused

Poor children. I would report it.

iwanttogotothechaletschool Sat 20-Jun-15 20:29:30

I would also wonder what they will do next when the 'demon' is still there because the 'demon' exists in their mind and not the children.

PushAPushPop Sat 20-Jun-15 20:31:34

Freakyconfused I'd have been traumatised over something like this when I was young.

I'd look into it further, assuming you know them personally OP? Why have they done it?!

Anonimoose Sat 20-Jun-15 20:32:11

Its because the children are naughty. They believe one child is being influenced by demons and the other child (with SN) is/was possessed.
Is it actually classed as abuse? I'm sure if reported the parents would just lie and the children would never say what happens either.

mrsdavidbowie Sat 20-Jun-15 20:32:32

Religious fuckers. Primitive.
No place in a civilised society.

Anonimoose Sat 20-Jun-15 20:33:27

iwanttogotothechaletschool that thought worries me the most.

AnyoneForTennis Sat 20-Jun-15 20:34:34

Are you sure op? Because that sound a bit, you know, unbelievable

Anonimoose Sat 20-Jun-15 20:36:09

Yes I am sure and no, I am not a troll. I was actually in two minds whether to post this as it does sound unbelievable.

cariadlet Sat 20-Jun-15 20:40:29

Are you sure op? Because that sound a bit, you know, unbelievable

Sadly, it's all too believable. There have been plenty of cases of child abuse over the last few years where some of the abuse has involved child exorcism - try googling and you'll find lots of depressing evidence.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now