Talk

Advanced search

To be irked at my MIL?

(46 Posts)
Katgrant30 Sat 20-Jun-15 14:38:07

Not a big deal in the scheme of things. My MIL was staying over to babysit my DS, staying on til this afternoon as we all have a wedding to attend. Despite me making a large box of quinoa salad and coronation chicken, and pointing this out to her, she brought a ready meal to eat last night and produced a homemade quiche and salad for everyone to eat this lunchtime. Does she not think I keep food in the house? That I would starve everyone? Next time I go to hers I'm turning up with a Happy Meal!

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Sat 20-Jun-15 14:40:01

Yes, it's annoying. Is this the thin end of the wedge, in that she does other stuff that undermines you?

Katgrant30 Sat 20-Jun-15 14:41:24

Ah I do love her dearly, but she is a very over proective parent and does EVERYTHING for her grown up kids. She's quite controlling in a number of ways...

LashesandLipstick Sat 20-Jun-15 14:41:39

I don't see the problem? She obviously wanted to eat her own food don't read too much into it

MissJoMarch Sat 20-Jun-15 14:41:46

'Quinoa salad' <boak>

My SIL has form for making that type of yucky food, so we eat McDonald's or accidentally bring our own too grin

Iggi999 Sat 20-Jun-15 14:41:50

Maybe she hated quinoa?

StillStayingClassySanDiego Sat 20-Jun-15 14:42:29

Was the quiche nice?

It could be considered rude that she ignored your quinoa salad and coronation chicken [stealth boast? wink] then produced the quiche and salad to try to top trump you.

Do you get on with her?

mrsfuzzy Sat 20-Jun-15 14:42:59

just maybe, she thought she was helping as you are busy with going to the wedding and getting ready etc. unless this was a regular thing i wouldn't concern myself if i was you.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Sat 20-Jun-15 14:43:02

xpost, <slow typer> blush

Euphemia Sat 20-Jun-15 14:43:23

My MIL wouldn't touch quinoa with a bargepole. I'd totally understand her bringing food she liked to eat.

Nolim Sat 20-Jun-15 14:43:27

I dont see the problem.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Sat 20-Jun-15 14:44:06

I love quinoa, I'd have eaten yours over her quiche.

TopCivilServant Sat 20-Jun-15 14:44:41

Yeah, that would annoy me. Not a biggy but would certainly irritate!

mrsfuzzy Sat 20-Jun-15 14:45:35

8does everything for her grown up kids* says it all some mums never stop doing the 'mumsy' thing. not sure that quinoa salad is to everyone's taste though, may be that's what she was thinking.

BuggerLumpsAnnoyed Sat 20-Jun-15 14:46:49

You're shocked she didn't want quinoa? Really?

mrsfuzzy Sat 20-Jun-15 14:47:51

quinoa salad, sorry but was is so boasty about that ?? personally not my cup of tea !

Katgrant30 Sat 20-Jun-15 14:48:41

She didn't know it was quinoa but she is v healthy eating...

mrsfuzzy Sat 20-Jun-15 14:51:28

buggerlumps, and here i was thinking that you liked salad with frog spawn in it ! sorry op, just a bit cheeky, i'm sure everyone enjoyed it really, us peasants on here have no taste for fine foods.

BreadmakerFan Sat 20-Jun-15 14:51:40

She was probably trying to save you the trouble. MOOAMH.

FadedRed Sat 20-Jun-15 14:51:49

"Thank you MIL, for going to the trouble to make a quiche, and look after Ds while we go off on a jolly."

StillStayingClassySanDiego Sat 20-Jun-15 14:53:38

mrsfuzzy Saturday lunch in our house is a sandwich, it was a good humoured stealth boast comment, is that alright? smile

A lovely quinoa salad and coronation chicken is more than I'd prepare, hats off to OP for going to the effort.

EponasWildDaughter Sat 20-Jun-15 14:54:11

With only this to go on i'd say she'd just bought round everyone a bit of lunch. No biggie.

(wouldn't have wanted a Q salad or coronation chicken myself actually)

Background is everything with this sort of thing.

Effendi Sat 20-Jun-15 14:55:32

I had to Google Quinoa.
I'd have eaten the quiche too.

BrowersBlues Sat 20-Jun-15 15:00:39

If someone did that to me I would be absolutely delighted. I obviously don't know her but you seem to like her. Does it matter whether she thinks you keep food in the house or not? I would invite her over every weekend.

mrsfuzzy Sat 20-Jun-15 15:08:19

stillstaying you still eating sarnies on a saturday night too ? phew ! thought it was me being too lazy too cook, what are you having in yours ? something nice i bet !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now