Talk

Advanced search

.....to consider shaving my toddler's back?

(107 Posts)
LadyPlumpington Sat 20-Jun-15 10:41:18

We have 2 cats and 2 children; the cats seem to have a constant flea infestation, despite the fact that we treat them (with collars/ tablets) every other week. It is the bane of DH's life, as they only seem to bite him and 4yo DS1 (the hairy people basically). DS2 (3yo) and I remain unbitten, thankfully.

Now DS1 is a rather hairy little boy, bless him, and the growth on his back is particularly luxuriant. This is where the fleas always bite him sad

I'm tempted to shave his back, but that would be wrong, wouldn't it. Tell me that it would be wrong......

KatoPotato Sat 20-Jun-15 10:43:19

Wait... What?

TrinityForce Sat 20-Jun-15 10:44:21

It's just hair, go ahead, especially since it's causing him discomfort via the bites.

RepeatAdNauseum Sat 20-Jun-15 10:44:36

Don't. The regrowth will be itchy and uncomfortable.

A doctor once told me that it was luck of the draw as to whether you get a lot of flea bites of not. We had a chronic infestation and out of me and my four sisters, two suffered horrendously and the others didn't really get bitten much at all. They were investigating if there was a genetic component but I don't think it's high-priority research and I never looked it up to see if they finished.

So I don't think it would stop the bites, and the risk of discomfort for regrowth would be high, and you'll be teaching him that his hairy back is unacceptable and he needs to shave it from a really young age. I just wouldn't.

LadyPlumpington Sat 20-Jun-15 10:45:05

Don't worry kato, I probably won't.

probably

LadyPlumpington Sat 20-Jun-15 10:46:12

I quite like his fuzzy little self.....

KatoPotato Sat 20-Jun-15 10:47:56

I'd be drop kicking the cats!

Kidding not kidding

pudcat Sat 20-Jun-15 10:48:31

Maybe you need to treat your carpets and upholstery too. The warmth makes the eggs hatch out as my son knows only too well when he bought a house. It was empty but there were carpets left and when he went one day to continue decorating the whole house was infested. He had to have it fumigated.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Sat 20-Jun-15 10:49:17

Please don't shave a small child's back hmm.
And flea bites have nothing to do with hirsuitedness if that's a word.

MarchLikeAnAnt Sat 20-Jun-15 10:49:54

YABU I'm very hairy and never get bitten by fleas or insects.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Sat 20-Jun-15 10:50:31

Yes you do need to treat your house. They lurk in carpets and if the host isn't around they make do with humans.

PrawnJalfrazi Sat 20-Jun-15 10:52:10

Was wondering how hairy a 4 year olds back could be... the mind boggles!

MarchLikeAnAnt Sat 20-Jun-15 10:52:36

You need some flea bombs.

LadyPlumpington Sat 20-Jun-15 10:52:49

Ok, so please talk me through house treatment. I've been leaving the issue to DH but judging from his regular whinges on the subject he could do with a few pointers!

LadyPlumpington Sat 20-Jun-15 10:53:37

Blees him.

MadameJosephine Sat 20-Jun-15 10:54:18

Even if you did and they stopped biting him, which they probably won't, the poor cats are still infested with fleas so that needs to be dealt with. You probably need to treat the house as well as the cats, like a PP I once moved into a house that had previously housed a couple of cars. It had sat empty for weeks and on the day I got the keys I walked in the door and hungry fleas lept up out of the carpet to greet me. I had to have the house carpets treated before I could move any of my stuff in

TopCivilServant Sat 20-Jun-15 10:54:34

I think you're probably all being bitten but only some people react to the bites

gamerchick Sat 20-Jun-15 10:55:04

Why aren't you addressing the flea problem?

Collars can be dangerous and the tablets obviously don't work.
Take your cats to the vet and get some advocate ...Buy it every 4 weeks for ever.

Then treat your house.

Don't shave your bairn it'll make mega itchies as it grows back.

MadameJosephine Sat 20-Jun-15 10:55:12

*a couple of cats not cars obviously

purdiepie Sat 20-Jun-15 10:56:37

Blimey.

Pooka Sat 20-Jun-15 10:56:56

Have you got proper flea stuff from the vet - the spot on stuff?

We used to use frontline, but that's pretty ineffective now. We get advocate from the vet and it works a treat. The over the counter stuff did nothing. Collars won't work either.

So, good stuff from vet, combined with a weekend of blasting the place with spray/bomb should knock it on the head.

sharonthewaspandthewineywall Sat 20-Jun-15 10:56:57

The OP is talking about her cat right?

ScorpioMermaid Sat 20-Jun-15 10:57:53

I'm sure fleas etc are only attracted to certain blood types like mozzies are?! my DH and 3 of our 8 children get bitten by anything and everything whilst myself and the other 5 kids don't get touched.

dont shave his little fuzzy back. my 7 year old dd is fuzzy too, she was like a little marmoset monkey when she was born grin

Hi5Hello Sat 20-Jun-15 10:58:34

When was the last time you deep cleaned (and not just a carpet devil) but deep cleaned all of the carpets - you need to start there.

KeepOnTryingTilYouRunOutOfCake Sat 20-Jun-15 10:59:24

Me and DP have the same blood type. I get eaten alive and he doesn't get touched. Strange.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now