Talk

Advanced search

To use a face wash and moisturiser for spot prone skin while breastfeeding?

(22 Posts)
JustOneMoreSliceOfCakePlease Fri 19-Jun-15 21:49:43

It's a simple one. I know lots of other ones aren't compatible with breastfeeding because of the ingredients but my skin is sore and spotty and I just need something to work.
Ds is 2 so is only feeding once or twice a day.
Does anyone know if any of these are ok to use?

http://www.simple.co.uk/our-products/product/spotless-skin-triple-action-face-wash.html

http://www.simple.co.uk/our-products/product/spotless-skin-anti-blemish-moisturiser.html

backwardpossom Fri 19-Jun-15 21:52:15

I've never heard of anything like that not being 'compatible' with breastfeeding. confused

LashesandLipstick Fri 19-Jun-15 21:52:28

...since when are face washes not compatible with breastfeeding?

JustOneMoreSliceOfCakePlease Fri 19-Jun-15 21:53:42

Some for spot prone skin aren't recommended because they have certain chemicals in I think it's the sylicates or something?

backwardpossom Fri 19-Jun-15 21:54:24

How much of it do you think will get into your breastmilk? I can't help but think you're overthinking this...

Yarp Fri 19-Jun-15 21:54:27

I have never heard of any issue with these types of products

Nobody would ever breastfeed (let's face it, it's not proving all that popular as it is), if face washes and moisturisers were a barrier

LashesandLipstick Fri 19-Jun-15 21:55:06

Are you on about chemical exfoliants? As far as I'm aware they're only not recommended because your skin can be more sensitive

Baies Fri 19-Jun-15 21:55:51

She's 2 years not 2 days?!

Don't be daft!

squoosh Fri 19-Jun-15 21:56:18

Get stuck in. Your milk will be fine.

Moomintroll85 Fri 19-Jun-15 21:56:18

Another one here that's never heard anything about this!

JustOneMoreSliceOfCakePlease Fri 19-Jun-15 21:57:53

Salicylic acid

This mild acid is used to treat certain skin disorders, including acne, and you can find it in a number of skin products, such as cleansers and toners. It can penetrate facial oils to get deep into pores and clean out dead skin cells. Salicylic acid is in the aspirin family, so it can also help reduce inflammation or redness. BHA, or beta hydroxy acid, is a form of salicylic acid and is used in some topical exfoliants to reverse signs of aging.

But salicylic acid is another no-no for pregnant women. High doses of the acid in itsoralform have been shown in studies to cause birth defects andvarious pregnancy complications.

I'm probably being overly cautious as it doesn't actually say breastfeeding but pregnancy.

JustOneMoreSliceOfCakePlease Fri 19-Jun-15 21:59:16

Yeah I probably am over thinking! My skin is so shitty and I can't go back on the acne treatments until I've finished feeding ds so will probably be stuck with it for a while yet.

squoosh Fri 19-Jun-15 21:59:19

I always suspect a lot of those 'do not use if breastfeeding' disclaimers are just the result of overly cautious legal departments.

Baies Fri 19-Jun-15 21:59:20

You're being more than overly cautious

Just wash your face with what you want to and forget about it. I take it your child eats all food anyway now

LashesandLipstick Fri 19-Jun-15 21:59:39

That is a chemical exfoliant. It also says high doses IN ITS ORAL FORM. So unless you're going to drink your exfoliator, you're fine

LashesandLipstick Fri 19-Jun-15 22:00:12

Caps is because I can't work out how to bold, I'm not shouting

Wideopenspace Fri 19-Jun-15 22:01:03

If you're worried, try using tea tree oil. It cured my bum acne.

blush

Yes, that is a thing..

Flisspaps Fri 19-Jun-15 22:04:05

"High doses of the acid in it's oral form may cause birth defects..."

So don't drink massive quantities of the face wash and all should be well wink I think you're past worrying about causing birth defects if your DC is 2yo anyway smile

to your hearts content!

Yarp Fri 19-Jun-15 22:08:07

Wide

Tea tree oil is magic:

acne, mouth ulcers, infected cuts, athletes' foot. Magic

JustOneMoreSliceOfCakePlease Fri 19-Jun-15 22:12:13

Thanks ladies I will go and use it now and hope for a miracle! Thanks for the tip about the tea tree oil smile will buy some tomorrow.

Sansarya Fri 19-Jun-15 22:16:05

But salicylic acid is another no-no for pregnant women. High doses of the acid in its oral form have been shown in studies to cause birth defects andvarious pregnancy complications.

But the amount used in BHA skincare products is nowhere near as much as that, and in the case of a face wash it's a bit pointless as it all gets washed off anyway.

FryOneFatManic Fri 19-Jun-15 22:36:25

Small amounts applied to the skin — such as a salicylic acid-containing toner used once or twice a day — are considered safe, says Johnson.

op If you'd read further down the article you quoted from, you'd have found the above comment.

I think you'll be fine, as the risk must be less for breast feeding than pregnancy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now