Talk

Advanced search

Charleston church shootings - why is everyone only talking about race?

(209 Posts)
HootsMon Fri 19-Jun-15 20:59:53

Obviously there was a racial motivation to this outrage - the shooter has confessed as much - and god knows I have no idea what is must be like to be black in parts of the US. I'm sure they get the shitty end of the baton on many occasions.

But AIBU for being really angry that on news and social media, people seem only to be talking about the race issue - tying it in with recent police beatings, etc.- instead of the real issue, which is IMO - GUNS!

You get racist dicks in every country - America is one of the few countries that you can give one a gun for his 21st birthday.

flora717 Fri 19-Jun-15 21:05:37

Americans have a fiercely blinkered attitude to guns. They (overall) prefer their right to murder confused.

DoILookLikeIGiveAFuck Fri 19-Jun-15 21:06:43

The President mentioned guns. No one else really needs to. They won't be listened to anyway.

FeijoaSundae Fri 19-Jun-15 21:07:29

They are talking about guns too, at least in the commentary I've seen.

Obama's response certainly addressed the whole gun problem.

PHANTOMnamechanger Fri 19-Jun-15 21:07:43

I know, when will they learn. How many mass shootings, school killings, toddlers accidentally killing their siblings sad before they do something about guns.

DoILookLikeIGiveAFuck Fri 19-Jun-15 21:08:37

"They" won't do anything about guns.

Ever.

Just don't go there.

FeijoaSundae Fri 19-Jun-15 21:09:13

And kids much, much younger than 21 have (access to) guns, sadly.

Down South even babies get given guns to grow into.

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Fri 19-Jun-15 21:09:32

Obama talked about guns.

TBH, the US is utterly fucked on firearms. I mean, base your value system around a civil war and the highest firepower being, what, a musket.

This is the problem with a constitution. It is of its time and yet people venerate it.

Stokes Fri 19-Jun-15 21:10:42

Plus, race does clearly need to be discussed as well - I've seen correspondents for supposedly reputable networks saying on twitter that they don't think the shooter was white, he looks mixed race. Because of course, terrorists have to be some shade of brown.

DoILookLikeIGiveAFuck Fri 19-Jun-15 21:12:42

"This is the problem with a constitution. It is of its time and yet people venerate it."

Do you have any idea what you're talking about?

hmm

LikeABadSethRogenMovie Fri 19-Jun-15 21:12:53

I'm in the U.S. and have read and seen plenty of debate about guns over the last 24 hours.

FatherReboolaConundrum Fri 19-Jun-15 21:15:03

But AIBU for being really angry that on news and social media, people seem only to be talking about the race issue

Actually FOX news have decided it's a crime against christians, nothing to do with race. So has at least one prominent Republican. Because nothing screams 'not a racist attack' like a man who has a jacket accessorised with the flags of Rhodesia and Apartheid-era South Africa opening fire after telling a room full of black people that "You rape our women and you’re taking over our country. And you have to go.”

HayFeverHell Fri 19-Jun-15 21:15:40

Apparently Fox news in America isn't talking about race either! In their world the problem isn't guns or racism...it's mental illness!

www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/culturebox/2015/06/charleston_shooting_on_fox_news_why_the_network_could_barely_bring_itself.html

Biscuitsneeded Fri 19-Jun-15 21:15:56

Coverage seems to be focusing on how he must be mentally ill. I don't doubt this, but when black/Asian guys kill a white British soldier they are instantly labelled terrorists.
Personally I feel that anyone who knowingly takes the life of another human being in a planned and calculated way,on the basis of creed or colour rather than any personal grievance, must by definition have a whole host of mental problems, but it is still an act of terrorism and the double-standards here are shocking.

mynewpassion Fri 19-Jun-15 21:21:30

People use guns to kill. Guns on their own rarely ever kill people. This doesn't mean guns and its availability of them aren't a problem. The root cause of these massacres such as racism, anti-semetic, bullying needs to be addressed too.

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Fri 19-Jun-15 21:21:39

DoILook - well, in the sense that I have studied jurisprudence, the US constitution and comparative civil liberties as influenced by constitutional approach (unwritten vs written ) I would say I know enough to be permitted an opinion, yes. As does anyone else who cares to comment.

FeijoaSundae Fri 19-Jun-15 21:30:22

It's a fair comment, DoILook - what's your problem with it?

keepitsimple0 Sat 20-Jun-15 01:03:26

People use guns to kill. Guns on their own rarely ever kill people.

true for nuclear weapons too, but I can't keep any in my bedroom.

squoosh Sat 20-Jun-15 01:07:50

It's the problem with the American constitution, it can't be amended (as far as I'm aware).

Other countries have constitutions that can be changed by referendum.

SenecaFalls Sat 20-Jun-15 01:10:53

Most of the mental illness discussion has been on Fox. They are not talking about mental illness on the other channels; they are talking about race, and yes, guns.

There is another thread as well.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/in_the_news/2405831-Mass-murder-in-Charleston-church?

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SenecaFalls Sat 20-Jun-15 01:48:16

The Constitution can be amended, but it is difficult. An amendment must be ratified by three fourths of the states. The Constitution has been amended, for example, to outlaw slavery and to give women the vote. There are actually 33 amendments.

SenecaFalls Sat 20-Jun-15 01:55:24

Biscuitsneeded I have been watching media coverage all day as well as following it on the web. There has been significant discussion of the shooting as an act of terrorism.

SenecaFalls Sat 20-Jun-15 02:01:51

The right to bear arms, which is the source of gun rights in the US, is actually in an amendment.

AcrossthePond55 Sat 20-Jun-15 02:07:44

Coverage has talked about guns as well as race. But I'm not sure if people outside the US understand how extremely powerful the gun lobby and NRA are. I can't explain exactly why (other than money), but they are.

Even my DH who is a gun owner (legally) and is 'pro' gun ownership refuses to have anything to do with the NRA, or organizations that support the NRA. It's the NRA that quashes passage of tighter restrictions on ownership, stricter background checks, and more widespread registration.

Please don't assume that all Americans are 'blinkered' to gun issues or 'prefer our right to murder'. Just like in the UK, the citizens here can't always get their elected officials to do what they want them to do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now