Talk

Advanced search

Calling DH "partner" when not running a business together

(38 Posts)
sprackenzyboiled Fri 19-Jun-15 12:19:59

This is winding me up far more than it should be. I have a friend (actually one of my oldest friends who is lovely) who refers to her DH, in person & on social media, as her 'partner'. FB status posted at the weekend referring to her 'lovely partner'. They are not commercial entities engaged in a business alliance & never have been ! Many couples consciously choose not to run businesses together & it isn't a big deal these days simply to have a long term DH. They have a joint bank account together so I suppose she feels like a financial partnership but I feel it makes a mockery out of those who ARE partners! I have asked her why she does it, she simply says she feels like a partner & he is her partner in all but the joint ownership of a business venture. As I said, this is winding me up far more than it should be, perhaps I have too much time on my hands noticing these things but she's done it for years & its really starting to get on my nerves! AIBU?

GoodToesNotSoGoodToes Fri 19-Jun-15 12:21:43

What are you avoiding thinking about by stressing over the lives of others?

lowra Fri 19-Jun-15 12:21:53

YABU

McKayz Fri 19-Jun-15 12:21:55

I don't understand. What is she meant to call him?

0x530x610x750x630x79 Fri 19-Jun-15 12:22:40

if yiou are being serious:
many people don't like husband/wife if not married aod boyfriend sounds like you are 14, partner is quite a good alternative

poorbuthappy Fri 19-Jun-15 12:22:44

A TAAT I think?!!! and made me grin

MistletoeBUTNOwine Fri 19-Jun-15 12:23:48

This is a mirror of the 'she calls her partner "hubby" thread'...

Get a life biscuit

firesidechat Fri 19-Jun-15 12:24:36

I refer you to the following:

dictionary.reference.com/browse/partner

Where have you been for the past 30 plus years that you don't know this already or do you know and just wanted to wind us up?

sprackenzyboiled Fri 19-Jun-15 12:25:33

Obviously, I am gently imitating another thread to illustrate the point. No hostile intent or poking of fun here, but I hope this serves to make it clear that actually, how other people refer to their life partner is probably sincere and a matter for themselves. smile

firesidechat Fri 19-Jun-15 12:25:46

Oh it's an in joke?

Hate those and not funny either.

DragonWithAGirlTattoo Fri 19-Jun-15 12:26:56

jeeez, the things people worry about -

( 4. a spouse; a husband or a wife. )

firesidechat Fri 19-Jun-15 12:27:20

I'm still allowed to hate the term "hubby" aren't it. In private of course and not on mumsnet, heaven forbid.

The5DayChicken Fri 19-Jun-15 12:27:28

Those in romantic partnerships are not mocking those in non-romantic partnerships by using the term 'partner' to refer to their OH. What an odd notion hmm . What about this is actually bothering you? There are many types of partnership. I actually quite like the term 'partner' for couples as it implies equality, whereas the terms 'husband' and 'wife' historically imply a hierarchy.

firesidechat Fri 19-Jun-15 12:28:00

aren't I?"

sprackenzyboiled Fri 19-Jun-15 12:28:47

I think hating the word "hubby" is a completely normal thing. I cringe inwardly whenever I hear it, there's something nauseating about it.

Thurlow Fri 19-Jun-15 12:29:10

Does make the husband thing look even sillier than some people on that thread have made it look grin

The5DayChicken Fri 19-Jun-15 12:29:36

Aah, you're mocking another thread. Wasn't very obvious for those of us who haven't read the other thread.

NerrSnerr Fri 19-Jun-15 12:31:42

Oh ffs. People don't need you to start a mirror thread to teach them a lesson.

Aren't you the clever one. Not patronising at all.

GoodToesNotSoGoodToes Fri 19-Jun-15 12:33:33

I haven't read the other thread and the obvious joke wasn't obviously funny to me.

mileend2bermondsey Fri 19-Jun-15 12:34:40

I've read the other thread and its not funny to me either.

ChwatFeechers Fri 19-Jun-15 12:34:50

Groan. Can't see this one running to over 600 comments...

FenellaFellorick Fri 19-Jun-15 12:36:01

I dont give a shit what other people call one another. Husband, hubby, partner, arsefacechuffbucket...
it just doesn't matter to me. I've always assumed most people have an equal level of noshitgivingness.

CandOdad Fri 19-Jun-15 12:36:21

This exact same thread already happened only with the word "hubby" and the op being offended since they were not married. Exact as in the wording by the op is almost idectical.

PattiODoors Fri 19-Jun-15 12:37:03

flowery Fri 19-Jun-15 12:38:02

Why not make your point on the actual thread?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now