Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

People who sing//hum loudly in public places such as shops?

(30 Posts)
MrsNextDoor Fri 19-Jun-15 10:19:18

WHY?

I know I am probably BU but I have to vent.

I'm not talking about the milkman whistling a happy tune as he goes about his business...I'm not talking about the woman on the bus who has a little sing song with her baby to keep it happy but about grown women singing "Caauuught in a baaad romance!!" along to Gaga whilst I'm trying to browse in a small charity shop...a TINY charity shop with no escape.

It was the bloody shop assistant....WHY? It seemed almost like she wanted attention! I studiously ignored her. I don't want to hear her moaning off key to the radio whilst I shop!

fieldfare Fri 19-Jun-15 10:24:26

I fear I am one of these people. We listen to music most of the time and if I have something stuck in my head I'll be humming it whilst shopping round sainsburys for instance. Not loudly with arm gestures or anything though!

ShelaghTurner Fri 19-Jun-15 10:28:42

Don't do it randomly but if I'm in Asda where they have loudish music playing then I will sing along. Can't help it! DD2 and I have quite a boogie sometimes.

SycamoreMum Fri 19-Jun-15 10:39:28

I sing, so trill out sounds every now and them. Usually get a smile or a stare and that stops me. �� Its just a habit.

MythicalKings Fri 19-Jun-15 10:41:50

I love it when the assistants in our Asda sing along. They are so funny because they do little dances as well. Makes a dull chore much more enjoyable.

YABU

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 19-Jun-15 10:43:02

Some of my patients (usually men, in fact always men) wiill burst into a tuneless whistle or a "Tiddly pom pom" type of song, it makes me hmm

Just fecking talk to me if there's a void you want to fill with noise.
Though usually if they go into the song, I'll get a question in to stop them

"So, hows your blood sugar Mr Black" makes them stop the noise (and kinder than STFU which is what my brain is screaming.

YouMeddlingKids Fri 19-Jun-15 10:45:34

Have never experienced this in my life... however shop assistants in charity shops are generally volunteers and lots have mild LD/ASD/MH issues, so I wouldn't think much of it. I once had a chap (possibly on the Autism spectrum) follow me round commentating on each item I looked at, which was a little disconcerting!

Enb76 Fri 19-Jun-15 10:47:17

I do it - I'm sorry, most of the time I don't even realise. I permanently have tunes in my head and find myself singing without realising it. I wandered around a supermarket yesterday singing 'Early one morning'. I don't do it for attention, I don't think I do it very loudly and I often only realise I'm doing it when someone gives me an odd look.

I find it quite odd that other people don't have a permanent record player in their heads but I'm told that they don't. What goes on in their heads all the time - is it just blankness? What do you think about when you're not thinking about anything? For me, it's music, always music.

sprackenzyboiled Fri 19-Jun-15 11:12:40

I love to hear people singing. There is a joy to random song.

mileend2bermondsey Fri 19-Jun-15 11:19:37

We used to have a game at my old work where you'd mumble singing a long to a song for a little bit then stop. Then over the next couple of hours see how many people you could catch humming or singing the song and reveal it was down to you. Sounds really stupid written down confused but it was a bit of a laugh and made the time pass a little quicker.

I associate singing or humming a tune to being happy in and in a good frame of mind so I like hearing people sing along to their selves.

squoosh Fri 19-Jun-15 11:31:20

I cannot STAND the sound of people whistling, it's like nails down a blackboard. Humming isn't as bad but it still irritates me.

Shakey1500 Fri 19-Jun-15 11:35:43

This is me to a tee grin

I bloody LOVE singing. And, apologies to anyone who finds it annoying but it makes me feel great. Especially when a stranger joins in.

I'm past the age of caring what bystanders think, it's fleeting. As is life so I prefer to squeeze every, single moment of random joy out of it.

YABU smile

42andGaffaTape Fri 19-Jun-15 11:57:44

Sorry I do this. I spend my life singing or humming while going about my day to day life.

But only when I'm in a good mood. I have been told before it's lovely as it shows I'm happy and content.

But whistling makes me want to staple people's lips together...

ShelaghTurner Fri 19-Jun-15 15:53:09

On the music thing, I'm always amazed that DH can listen to a really catchy song and not move one single muscle! I can't help it, the slightest hint of a tune and my feet, fingers, whatever are tapping by themselves. And he also has no desire to sing along. Ever! I don't know how I ended up with him tbh grin

WickedWax Fri 19-Jun-15 16:00:17

I'm a hummer, sorry.

Apparently I hum all the time, except when I'm talking or engrossed in a book or the TV or something. I even hum while on the loo.

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 19-Jun-15 16:04:13

I have fond memories of the whole of Tescos singing Let It Go over Christmas along with the hundreds of small children who were singing it. It was very festive. And when I pushed DD around the corner and met a Dad with his child and all four of us were singing it...

FarFromAnyRoad Fri 19-Jun-15 16:07:05

YANBU - I hate it too but it is as pure birdsong compared to the sheer abject horror that is whistling.

elbowsdontsing2 Fri 19-Jun-15 16:26:20

i do this but only in asda , the music can be quite loud in there especially on a friday evening i have to give my head a wobble to stop my self from dancingblush

TranmereRover Fri 19-Jun-15 16:27:38

there's a man that sings along to the music in an exercise class i go to which drives me to utter rage, which slightly negates the benefits of going to the class in the first place. The utter b*stard.

RackofPeas Fri 19-Jun-15 16:33:43

I can ignore singing unless there's background music and they're singing something different. That does my head.
There's something about whistling isn't there? It's usually (but not exclusively) an old man thing. They're so tuneless and they will do it even when there's background music and even if everyone around them is giving the evil eye. Please stop! It hurts my ears!

scribblegirl Fri 19-Jun-15 16:45:31

There's a woman in my gym who sings in the changing rooms first thing in the morning. She drives me demented.

But there's nothing I can do about it so I apply mental earplugs and judge away

FarFromAnyRoad Fri 19-Jun-15 16:59:02

It is a man thing Rack - usually an older man with a hatred for humanity! Don't tell me they don't know everyone is hating them. They know.

abigamarone Fri 19-Jun-15 17:01:33

I'm feeling the horror just reading the word "whistling".

ahbollocks Fri 19-Jun-15 17:03:01

Ahh I think its a really happy thing to do, dont be such a misery wink

I do genuinely think 'ah good for them'

EponasWildDaughter Fri 19-Jun-15 17:44:12

Oh god i sing all the time blush

I can sing well too i missed my calling grin

My kids all sing when going about the house doing stuff and DH has picked the habit up as well. We all tend to sing the wrong (usually rude) words to popular songs but belt them out in tune. It's nice.

I do sing when shopping ect. But not loudly. If the baby is with me i sing her songs to her and she sings along.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now