Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to ask vegetarians if they would eat lab grown meat?

(113 Posts)
vitamink Thu 18-Jun-15 18:22:34

The cost of lab grown meat has apparently come down from over $300,000 to $11. If this could replace meat harvested from the killing of animals but would still use animal genetics at a microscopic level to grow these burgers (without harming live animals), would you eat them? The same goes with genetically produced milk, grown by combining genetically modified yeast?

I'm not a vegetarian and I would definitely eat lab grown meat. I think this is the future of food.

Lab Grown Burgers Just Got a LOT Cheaper!

Pollywallywinkles Thu 18-Jun-15 18:23:33

No.

SurelyNotEh Thu 18-Jun-15 18:23:39

Ewww no that sounds disgusting!

I hate meat.

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Thu 18-Jun-15 18:24:25

Don't think I'd fancy it. Haven't eaten meat for about 25 yrs. Never fancy it, or crave it.

Sirzy Thu 18-Jun-15 18:25:30

I eat meat and would rather become a vegetarian than eat lab grown meat

lolalotta Thu 18-Jun-15 18:25:43

No, it sounds gross.

chocolateyay Thu 18-Jun-15 18:26:02

I wonder how many meat eaters would eat it.

YAsoNBU Thu 18-Jun-15 18:26:04

Is it much different to quorn, which is also grown in big tanks?

Personally I couldn't eat something so processed where you are so at the whim of a manufacturer - because we know how ethically they can behave don't we. I think you might be right in thinking it may become the food of the masses in the future though.

Elllimam Thu 18-Jun-15 18:26:10

I probably would if they could make sure there was no tubes and bone and gristle. I've been vegetarian for about 19 years.

Cantbelievethisishappening Thu 18-Jun-15 18:26:26

Yuck. No.

BikeRunSki Thu 18-Jun-15 18:26:49

No. I have no desire for the taste or texture of meat, or for massively processed food.

PtolemysNeedle Thu 18-Jun-15 18:28:22

I'm a new vegetarian, and I'm struggling to get my head around quorn, so no, I wouldn't eat lab grown meat.

stilllearnin Thu 18-Jun-15 18:28:59

I am veggie but not vegan so I probably could not refuse on ethical grounds. I am wondering how it doesnt harm animals but it is probably less harmful then dairy and egg production (grim grim grim).

But I wouldn't see the point really - there's no need for meat replacement. I'm interested from an environmental point of view though. Really must revisit my ethics - I've no idea what I'm waiting for!

ihavenonameonhere Thu 18-Jun-15 18:29:04

I might do.

Hard to think about it as been veggie 23 years due to factory farming.

I believe it's the future

LionsDontWeaveLentils Thu 18-Jun-15 18:33:50

I would eat it. I'm currently a meat eater but considering going veggie on ethical grounds. I don't really have a problem with eating things grown in a lab.

Quite a few veggies I know just don't like the taste of meat or have been veggie for so long the concept of eating it at all is yuck. I don't think it is always as simple as just not wanting animals to die for your dinner.

manicinsomniac Thu 18-Jun-15 18:35:00

I wouldn't eat lab grown meat and I'm not a vegetarian! (only eat chicken and fish but that's a weird health thing, not a moral thing).

I don't eat much processed food and, although I don't know much about lab grown mean, I can't see it as natural.

ChuckBiscuits Thu 18-Jun-15 18:40:19

no - I wouldn't. Been veggie for over 30 years.

I'm currently a meat eater but considering going veggie on ethical grounds.

Genius. So you think you might have some ethics at some point in the future? Nice one.

Cloggal Thu 18-Jun-15 18:40:45

I'm with sirzy, as an 'omnivore' I'd go vegan before I ate lab meat. I eat meat/poultry probably once or twice a week (fish/shellfish more often) and I like to know as much as I can about where it's come from and what I'm consuming.

I understand completely the ethics of refusing to eat the products of animal slaughter, but surely there is another side to this which is being aware of what goes in to your body, whether you eat meat or not?

DoItTooJulia Thu 18-Jun-15 18:49:59

Veggie of 30 years here.

No, I wouldn't eat it if it was lab grown. Why? Because it's such a non event for me, having meat in my diet. It just doesn't feature in my cooking, life or consciousness, so a new 'variety' wouldn't excite me. I don't eat Quorn either.

But that's a personal thing, isn't it? As veggies, we aren't a homogenous group, the only thing we have in common is non meat diets. Which is fortunate when you think about it, because posters like ChuckBiscuits really turn me off with comments like the last line of their post. Being a militant vegetarian is their choice, but I don't identify with it at all.

CremeEggThief Thu 18-Jun-15 18:51:01

Nope.

ToadsJustFellFromTheSky Thu 18-Jun-15 18:53:31

I'm not a vegetarian and even I wouldn't eat lab grown meat. It sounds disgusting.

MrMcGintysGoat Thu 18-Jun-15 18:54:31

Another one agreeing with Sirzy

noblegiraffe Thu 18-Jun-15 18:54:39

It depends. Is it just like real meat? I.e, does it increase your chance of bowel cancer?

Is it tasty?

70isaLimitNotaTarget Thu 18-Jun-15 18:54:43

I wouldn't it just seems weird though I can see the sense behind it. It might (just might ) convince some meat eaters to try LabMeat but not me.
I've been vegetarian for 35 years and I don't think "Oh I miss meat" , I don't.

spillyobeans Thu 18-Jun-15 18:54:45

The idea is repulsive.

Im a veggi, but as much as i hate the idea of eating animals i also hate the taste and texture of meat so whether it was 'real' or not would not matter - i would still not like it.

On a moral and cost point - how would eating lab meat compared to veg and pulses me more cost effective? I would only see it as more cost effective against actual meat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now