Talk

Advanced search

to wonder if it is the end of romance as the dc get older?

(13 Posts)
underthegardengate Thu 18-Jun-15 12:56:11

DC are 11 and nearly 9 so not remotely tired until 9 or 10pm. We try to bet them up to bed by 8.30ish but invariably it is a bit later, then one of them will be awake in their room until 10 or later. The older one of course, is aware of the facts of life! It seems these days we rarely get any time alone together. We could go out for a meal, but dc are often awake when we get back. We have had the odd weekend away, but obviously this is infrequent. We do still have sex regularly, but generally fairly late at night and quietly. We have a lock on the door, but the thought of dc hearing is very off putting if we were to do it earlier. So is this how things will be now?

patterkiller Thu 18-Jun-15 13:03:26

We have a 12 year old and a 16 year old. There is no private time. It's crap. Their friends are usually around at the weekend to add to the misery.
We have a couple of nights every few months when theyre both out at the same time but it's few and far between. Sorry I'm sharing your misery not really helping.

Bullshitbingo Thu 18-Jun-15 13:28:49

Yabu to use 'romance' as a euphemism for shagging grin

Hth

EmmaLL25 Thu 18-Jun-15 13:32:22

You need to coordinate them to be on sleepovers at same time!

Or of a weekend, say you're both going for a lie down and stick some music on.

ItsTricky Thu 18-Jun-15 13:35:13

If you have a TV in your bedroom it can help hide any 'noise'. Music channels are good.

crazykat Thu 18-Jun-15 13:39:42

Mine are younger but this is part of the reason we have a TV in our room and they have one in theirs so there's always some background sound. I'm putting a lock on our door when I find one that will fit to stop them wandering in.

Tournesol Thu 18-Jun-15 13:44:43

All our bedrooms are on the same floor and it is precisely for this reason that we are hoping to convert our attic into a shag palace master bedroom so once the kid's are older we can still have some privacy.

Problem is oldest in nearly 8 and there is no way we will have enough cash any time soon.

underthegardengate Thu 18-Jun-15 14:29:29

Oh how depressing. No hope of things improving from the sound of it. Even with TV on and dc busy downstairs it still feels a little restricted. Attic conversion sounds great - even making me think about moving house!

FinallyHere Thu 18-Jun-15 15:18:07

Isn't that what Sunday school was for on Sundays?

Afternoon delight at the weekend. Sigh.

Rainicorn Thu 18-Jun-15 15:22:29

I feel your pain. My eldest is 12 and DH and I rarely have alone time.

I can't wait for Saturday though when he is stopping out.

GodGaveSausageRollsToYou Thu 18-Jun-15 17:45:00

lock for your door

music on

;)

morelikeguidelines Thu 18-Jun-15 17:53:25

We plan to move to a different floor when ours are teens! Although I realise that is a luxury.

Our sex life has suffered since dd (dc1) stopped daytime naps as we are often too tired by bedtime. Nap time on a weekend used to be the crucial time. Now we have to either stay up late (eek!) or have a weekend away. Last weekend we were away dh came down with a terrible cold so that was the end of that!

How anyone has a third child I do not know.

Timetodrive Thu 18-Jun-15 17:56:53

We have to book annual leave, and you can nearly always guarantee a short notice inset day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now