Talk

Advanced search

to feel like I've been fleeced by the dentist

(12 Posts)
AdamsMissus Thu 18-Jun-15 11:42:31

Long story - last year I had some dental work an implant, it was quite complicated and I went to a dentist a friend recommended. I always felt it was all about the business with the actual dentist but he seemed to have won some awards but I went along with it.

The long and the short of it is - I spent over £2000 on this blasted implant, it involved a bone transplant. I found it very uncomfortable and in the end it didn't take and he removed it - the dentist had warned me it might not take and very hurriedly made me sign some paperwork - he is quite pushy.

Now he says he can do me another implant because it has healed so well and that will be a £1000 as he will only charge for the surgery and materials - I feel quite conned. He said it would require more bone - I feel maybe he didn't put enough bone in there in the first place. Or I can have a bridge for £450, again only charging for materials. My DH thinks this is bullshit and it should all be free of charge. I'm not very assertive and don't want a gaping hole - it is a molar so not in the front but I feel really depressed and anxious about it.

Tempted just to go elsewhere and get a second opinion as I really cannot afford to fork out that much money and I feel the dentist is shifty. WWYD?

LurkingHusband Thu 18-Jun-15 11:43:44

I first read that as flossed, and wondered what the problem was ?

Not very helpful, I know.

PenguinPoser Thu 18-Jun-15 11:44:05

Would definitely get a second opinion!

CalicoBlue Thu 18-Jun-15 11:45:36

Get a second opinion. If the other dentist agrees then you will feel better and if not you can go somewhere else or tell your dentist what has been said.

InSpaceNooneCanHearYouScream Thu 18-Jun-15 11:50:27

Speak to PALS...they'll tell you the correct procedure

AdamsMissus Thu 18-Jun-15 12:08:27

Who are PALS?

Mrsmorton Thu 18-Jun-15 12:12:01

Pals won't help as you've been treated privately. The NHS has no business trying to interfere with private treatment and will probably get told to fuck off.

InSpaceNooneCanHearYouScream Thu 18-Jun-15 12:15:01

Oh yes, good point-PALS is the patient liaison service and can help with such things as what dentists should and shouldn't be offering on the nhs- were very helpful when my dad was told he wasn't entitled to an nhs bridge, when he was.

InSpaceNooneCanHearYouScream Thu 18-Jun-15 12:16:18

So, as a dentist, mrsmorton, what do you think the op should do?

paulapompom Thu 18-Jun-15 12:20:08

You could look on line for some recommendations - cross check a few websites, and go for a second opinion, ask what the dentist would do if it were them. If you are in north west England I know a few x

Mrsmorton Thu 18-Jun-15 12:22:08

I don't know much about implants! I think OP was probably told that the bone graft might not work, I think it's reasonable that the dentist does the work for free but that OP covers the cost of the materials.
If she pushes hard enough, the dentist will probably do it for free but remove her from his list and not see her again.

OP, you are absolutely entitled to a second opinion but you will have to pay for it. If you want a second opinion, ask for copies of your x rays so you don't have them taken again.

Mrsmorton Thu 18-Jun-15 12:23:04

But if you think the dentist is shifty, you should probably not be seeing him for such extensive and expensive work. Dentist patient relationship is based on trust.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now