I wrote to the ASA concerning this advert

(33 Posts)
dransfieldc123 Wed 17-Jun-15 18:48:26

It is an advert advertising an automatic tailgate function on a Ford CMax and shows a small toddler going up behind a car looking for a toy and kicking the car to open the boot. I thought this was so dangerous as it could encourage copycat behaviour ,the ASA disagreed with me, What do others think ?
www.campaignlive.co.uk/news/1349585/

kinkyfuckery Wed 17-Jun-15 18:54:02

I'd imagine most toddlers (like the one in the advert) would be supervised so not sure what the problem is

alrayyan Wed 17-Jun-15 18:55:38

Sorry I can't get too worked up about it apart from it being such a tedious advert. considering they broadcast revolting filth like Jeremy Kyle ER during the day, I guess kicking a car and even the foolishness around a kid playing in and around a car pale into mediocre to regulators.

dransfieldc123 Wed 17-Jun-15 18:56:19

Trouble is , with the best will in the world none of us can supervise toddlers constantly,even though we try to so that is my worry.

Bailey101 Wed 17-Jun-15 18:56:25

I'm not too sure where it's dangerous - can you please elaborate?

PurpleDaisies Wed 17-Jun-15 18:56:52

I think you're overthinking this. I think the ASA were right not to ban it.

Kerberos Wed 17-Jun-15 18:57:29

I agree. You are definitely over thinking this.

hedgehogsdontbite Wed 17-Jun-15 18:57:42

Are you serious? You actually took time out of your day to complain to the ASA about that and think it's dangerous? You'd have been better off writing to the Grip Marketing Board asking them where you can get hold of one.

TheMoa Wed 17-Jun-15 18:59:52

Why would it be bad for a child to copy that?

My toddlers could open our car boot, sadly it didn't have a 'kick the car' mode', but I'd have been out there having a go at it myself out of sheer novelty value if it had grin

kinkyfuckery Wed 17-Jun-15 19:02:06

Trouble is , with the best will in the world none of us can supervise toddlers constantly,even though we try to so that is my worry.

Around cars? With the best will in the eotld, your supervision needs improvement.

Am I right in assuming your issue was with the child playing around a car and not that he kicked it?

dransfieldc123 Wed 17-Jun-15 19:03:31

In my defence haven't any of you guys seen news reports where tragically toddlers get run over on their own driveways ?

formidable Wed 17-Jun-15 19:04:12

Sorry I'm not sure what part was dangerous?

He didn't kick the car, he just waved his foot.

Does your toddler watch a lot of car adverts?

ghostyslovesheep Wed 17-Jun-15 19:05:14

I think you are being unreasonable - sorry

yes tragic things happen but it's an advert - not parenting advice

dransfieldc123 Wed 17-Jun-15 19:05:16

Yup no problem with the kicking at all , the safety angle only

PurpleDaisies Wed 17-Jun-15 19:08:01

I will eat every hat I own if any of those accident are remotely related to toddlers copying something they've seen on an advert.

formidable Wed 17-Jun-15 19:08:37

But what safety angle? I don't get what you mean.

kinkyfuckery Wed 17-Jun-15 19:13:38

It's a kid playing around a car - OP doesn't think they should be 'encouraging' kids playing around cars. Not hard to 'get' is it?

Sconejamcream Wed 17-Jun-15 19:13:46

dont you need the key to open it, hence the dad standing behind him....

Mintyy Wed 17-Jun-15 19:30:31

Yanbu op, I agree with you.

APlaceOnTheCouch Wed 17-Jun-15 19:36:21

I don't think many toddlers watch car adverts so I don't think they will be influenced by it. Also, when my DC was a toddler they wouldn't have had the opportunity to be behind a car on their own.

dransfieldc123 Wed 17-Jun-15 19:46:30

OMG Mintyy, thanks......the first person to agree, this is the first time I've been on MUmsnet and couldn't believe not one person was out there who saw what I was seeing.

EponasWildDaughter Wed 17-Jun-15 19:49:19

So ... sorry, how do you open the boot?

<daft emoticon>

and - i'm on the fence about the ad.

breadstixandhommus Wed 17-Jun-15 19:53:38

Um I thought that was to show an actual function of the car......I was quite impressed and thought it was handy blush

Before I crawl back under my rock....YABU and should find something better way to spend your time.

formidable Wed 17-Jun-15 19:53:55

Oh right.

Do toddlers play unsupervised on driveways?

Do toddlers watch car adverts/pay enough attention to them to be influenced to do anything?

Do parents not check toddlers are not standing behind the car when reversing?

I think it's a stretch, to be honest.

partialderivative Wed 17-Jun-15 20:00:17

yabu.

Do you really think this ad will result in any increase in toddlers get run over on their own driveways ? Seriously?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now