Talk

Advanced search

To ask how or why you found your way to Mumsnet if you don't have children

(124 Posts)
Tangerineandturquoise Wed 17-Jun-15 18:07:56

And aren't TTC or don't see yourself having children in the near future .
I read some threads and responses and see that some posters seem to be in this boat.

Violetapple Wed 17-Jun-15 18:09:26

Stepchildren: looking for hints on how to relate to them.

DoJo Wed 17-Jun-15 18:12:31

It's a widely indexed site which is frequently referenced in the mainstream media and elsewhere online, with a variety of topics that are nothing to do with having children. I imagine most people find their way here by similar routes - a search for breastfeeding advice is just as likely to yield a mumsnet result as one which asks for style and beauty information or support for someone trying to leave an abusive partner.

lekkerkroketje Wed 17-Jun-15 18:13:56

I clicked the link out of curiosity after reading this article and ended up hooked...

vagendamagazine.com/2013/09/i-found-my-feminist-icons-on-mumsnet-and-im-not-even-a-mum/

CtrlAltDelicious Wed 17-Jun-15 18:15:43

Someone on TES posted a link to a fairly prepostrous OP. I got reading, then read, then read some more.
I have no children and never want any, but I like the craic on here.

CtrlAltDelicious Wed 17-Jun-15 18:16:08

*Preposterous

RiderOfDragons Wed 17-Jun-15 18:16:32

How do you know if they are ttc or wanting kids later on? I wouldn't mention if I was, not after seeing close friends go through infertility and multiple miscarriage.

Even if they state that they are not, mumsnet has many different sections like AIBU, sex, feminist chat that they may be really interested in that aren't completely child focussed.

NotReallyAPrincess Wed 17-Jun-15 18:18:26

Someone from my organisation did a live chat. I had a look at that, then clicked on AIBU and the rest is history!

I look forward to being able to use MN 'properly' when I do get pregnant/have children.

PurpleSwift Wed 17-Jun-15 18:18:47

I found this site after after having my child. I'm not sure how or why I'd have found it pre children (I was no where near TTC...) but if I had I'd probably have stuck around, it's quite entertaining and I'm noesy.

Poppy84b Wed 17-Jun-15 18:23:48

Came for advice regarding step child and am now addicted!

Spydra Wed 17-Jun-15 18:32:08

It's one of the biggest UK forums, and has a strong female representation (unlike Reddit, Pistonheads etc).

I was studying online communities as part of my degree and loved the humour and irreverance here. There also seemed to be less oneupmanship and nastyness here. A good few more trolls have arrived since then though!

holdonaminute Wed 17-Jun-15 18:33:05

Found AIBU whilst messing about online and the rest is history! I love reading all the different opinions on such a wide variety of topics.

HootOnTheBeach Wed 17-Jun-15 18:39:58

Asked to do some research at work. Been lurking ever since, gathering tips on how to be a parent for if I ever get around to it. Jkjk, I got addicted to AIBU

TheCatsMother99 Wed 17-Jun-15 18:44:57

Someone I know told me about it & there's so much more to the forums than child related threads so for me it's an addictive read.

GlitzAndGigglesx Wed 17-Jun-15 18:49:53

My childless friend said she's only on for AIBU

Snoozybird Wed 17-Jun-15 18:50:46

Another one who was looking for advice re step children.

I wish I'd found mumsnet a few years ago when I was with my abusive exH - I might have left him sooner.

PotteringAlong Wed 17-Jun-15 18:50:47

I do now have children but was a member before ttc. Mooching on line, clicked some links, got reading, hooked.

growingbytheday Wed 17-Jun-15 18:54:11

A colleague I will be forever grateful to, told me about mumsnet.

WalkWithTheLonelyOnes Wed 17-Jun-15 18:56:18

Someone on the horse and hound forum posted a link for AIBU and I haven't left

MsMcWoodle Wed 17-Jun-15 19:14:11

Through the doghouse.

BigChocFrenzy Wed 17-Jun-15 19:14:51

It's (one of ?) the biggest UK women's site and I was fed up with the misogyny I found on some male-dominated sites.
Many threads are nothing to do with kids, just women discussing interesting (or mad) topics among ourselves. Some excellent feminist posters.

IonaNE Wed 17-Jun-15 19:28:15

I used to be a teacher and used to go on one of the education message boards. Now I've left teaching and I don't have any children or stepchildren, nor do I want or have ever wanted any, but to me Mumsnet is more like "Women Central" and I enjoy AIBU and a few other forums.

woolythoughts Wed 17-Jun-15 19:37:46

I linked here from an article on another forum - and like the non parenty bits.

getyourgeekon Wed 17-Jun-15 19:43:00

Found support on the bereavement section when my best friend's daughter died - years ago. Then enjoyed iabu for a while. I only discovered anything relating to parenting in the last 2 years.

PushingThru Wed 17-Jun-15 19:48:54

Because I like the forthright & intelligent advice of many posters in the relationships board. Women bring many aspects of their life experiences here. It's nice to be on a board frequented mostly by women as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now