Talk

Advanced search

to ask for advice on soothing DS

(29 Posts)
startrek90 Wed 17-Jun-15 16:28:14

Posting for traffic.

I have an 8 month DS who has 3 front teeth coming in at the same time. My neighbour below me has complained tat he is crying too much. He was crying this morning and just now (I thought we had managed to minimize the noise sad)

My landlady said not to panic and that babies cry (she had 4 and so is very sweet and understanding) but I have no ideas. DS has had maximum teething gel and right now seems ok. We moved his bedroom so its not above the neighbours bedroom and we keep all the windows shut. But I have no clue...have you any ideas?

I know most people can't cope with baby's crying and it's no fun for me either. I am at my wots end and my neighbour is annoyed. I don't want to get kicked out sad

CoffeeAndBiscuitsPlease Wed 17-Jun-15 16:44:28

I think the neighbor is the one with the problem. My baby has been teething since 4 months, 6 months and still has at least 2 instances of inconsolable crying!

Babies don't "cry too much" You're not going to get kicked out if your landlady is sweet and nice.

My baby hates teething chew toys, the only thing that soothes her is calgel. But I'm presuming you'll have used something like that.

Have you tried making baby ice lollies?

CoffeeAndBiscuitsPlease Wed 17-Jun-15 16:44:51

(2 instances a day)

crazykat Wed 17-Jun-15 16:44:52

Chop up some fruit and freeze it for and let him chomp on it, the cold will help the gums.

When mine got really bad with teething pain I gave them calpol or ibuprofen. When my wisdom teeth came through it was really painful and I took painkillers so I don't see why babies should have to suffer with no pain relief.

There's teething granules you can get in Boots that might help, never did anything for mine but sil swore by it for her dcs. I thinking called ashton's powder.

crazykat Wed 17-Jun-15 16:46:17

I think the dentinox teething gel is herbal and can be used with calgel as there's not anaesthetic in it so might be worth alternating the two.

kinkyfuckery Wed 17-Jun-15 16:49:43

DC1 was best with Anbesol liquid, do they still do that?

Ignore your neighbour if you're doing what you can.

EnjoyTheSimpleThingsInLife Wed 17-Jun-15 16:51:58

For a start I would take no notice of your neighbour, babies do cry!

My DD's are older now but when the teething gel didn't work we tried Ashton & Parsons teething powder. They sell it in Boots and Asda AFAIK.

Hope your DS feels better soon smile

purplemunkey Wed 17-Jun-15 16:52:19

You can't get kicked out for baby crying noise, it's normal domestic noise as far as councils are concerned and would not qualify as a noise nuisance that any neighbour could make a complaint about. They may be annoyed but don't feel threatened by that. My 7month old DD has really struggled with teething too so I know how you feel. We've used chamomilla granules & bonjela or anbesol during the day (anbesol when it's worse) and baby nurofen at night when the pain wakes her up crying. Other than that it's lots of cuddles and distraction and just riding it out here I'm afraid sad

RaisingMen Wed 17-Jun-15 16:52:37

Ignore your neighbour - he's the one with the issue, babies cry and I'm not sure what they expect you to do to change that!

The Ashton and Parsons powders worked for DS, along with calpol. It won't last forever, don't worry yourself too much.

ahbollocks Wed 17-Jun-15 16:53:44

Calpol. I think they need pain relief

ImSoCoolNow Wed 17-Jun-15 16:56:37

Calpol and Ashton and Parsons teething powders are amazing definitely invest in some of these. Plastic teething toys that you can freeze are good too. As well as cold carrot sticks. Otherwise just plenty of cuddles and keep in mind that this is not forever and soon those teeth will be here!

What exactly does your neighbour want you to do? Gag your son? Turn the volume button down? Your neighbour sounds like an antisocial arse IMO

billabye Wed 17-Jun-15 16:58:55

Another vote for anbesol and neurofen works better than calpol for teething in my experience. Teething is hell thanks

purplemunkey Wed 17-Jun-15 17:02:50

Yes, I used nurofen instead after advice on here from my own teething thread! Apparently it works better as it's an anti-inflammatory so helps soothe the inflamed gums.

startrek90 Wed 17-Jun-15 17:06:44

Neighbour told me I must be doing something wrong and to quiet down the baby as he has to work (not that it stops him from having a party and playing music in the garden under my baby's window angry) just worried he will report me to the council or SS (I accept I am irrational)

Will try and find Ashton powder here (I am abroad) and will definitely try the frozen fruit. DS hate the toys sad

Normally he is a happy baby but teething is miserable. He is my first so I am making this up as I go..

ImSoCoolNow Wed 17-Jun-15 17:16:46

If he thinks you are doing something wrong does he then know what it is you can do right? By all means let him show you...

I'm a hormonal mess today (expecting DD4) and not in the mood to be reading about utter twats like this. Ashton and parsons had went into liquidation and weren't selling in shops when I had DD3 so I got them off eBay relatively cheap. They are back in business now though. I really hope your DS gets some relief and those nasty teeth come through soon.

Good luck

ImSoCoolNow Wed 17-Jun-15 17:18:11

By utter twat I meant your neighbour, not you. You're doing a grand job

Griphook Wed 17-Jun-15 18:01:05

Recorded what he's has said to you and when, so if he does contact ss or council you can shown then that's he's unreasonable.

But to be honest they only get louder as they get older, and there's not a lot you can do. He going to just have to put up with it

Chunkymonkey79 Wed 17-Jun-15 18:58:37

Anbesol liquid (not gel) it sticks to gums better.

Plenty of calpol and ibuproen, give them every 2-4 hours alternately when at it's worst.

Nelsons teetha granules

Frozen banana

Try to keep calm and remember it will pass, sod your neighbour, there really isn't any way to just stop a baby in pain from crying. They need to understand it's not your fault and you are doing everything you can!

ifgrandmahadawilly Wed 17-Jun-15 19:03:09

Melon from the fridge. My dd found chewing on the rind v. helpful.

Iwonderif Wed 17-Jun-15 19:44:06

Me and my bestie call those powders the wonder drug! Look slightly like wraps of an illegal substance!! (well they did when I was recommended them/discovered them by HV with DD) they worked incredibly well. Was shocked at how well. My HV also recommended propping up slightly the mattress (used a small cushion at head end) or something under cot legs (head end) to raise the actual cot as bottom teeth are fighting against gravity to push through so more painful than top ones. If their heads are slightly raised it can ease the pain. It worked for both DD and DS. I really feel your stress with it all. My son had his first tooth at 10 months but then they exploded onto the scene straight after one another. He was constantly grizzly and mithered until we found something that eased it for him.

As for the neighbour, **d them. Ridiculous thing to bother you with. What a total tool. Hope it eases for your son very very soon. It's so horrible to see them so distressed.

Moomintroll85 Wed 17-Jun-15 20:05:44

Your neighbour needs to piss off. Ignore his bullshit I don't see how he can get you into trouble for a teething baby.

My DS who is 10 months has some hellish teething melt downs often in the middle of the night. Calpol and teething gel help, as does lots of swaying/cuddling and singing to him. He also loves a chunk of cold cucumber to chew on during the day.

Hope your little one feels better soon.

LadyDeirdreWaggon Wed 17-Jun-15 20:31:09

Painkillers (paracetamol and ibuprofen if necessary) and Anbesol liquid on his gums. DS also likes teething gel on one of those brushbaby silicon toothbrushes, works better than trying to get it on his gums with a finger. And a big fuck off to your arse of a neighbour.

SlinkyB Wed 17-Jun-15 20:35:05

Your neighbour is a dick.

Agree with everyone else re: regular infant paracetamol/ibuprofen and Anbesol liquid.

Atenco Wed 17-Jun-15 21:41:03

Giving the baby spring onions to chew on helps too.

startrek90 Wed 17-Jun-15 21:48:58

Spring onions? I'm sorry but do you know why it works?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now