Talk

Advanced search

To think it shouldn't be this hard to get back into work

(21 Posts)
crumblybiscuits Wed 17-Jun-15 12:29:46

I am a single parent. I have a partner that works away and we are in the process of buying a house from his earnings/my deposit and I wanted to get back into work in time for us moving into the house.
I worked for four years in a fashion retail store until I went to return from maternity leave and they couldn't give me a set hour contract. They were happy to give me a good recommendation. I then went to work for an expensive supermarket on a temporary contract for six months, which ended in August last year and I have been unemployed since then, but not for lack of trying. I have had two unsuccessful interviews and today I got the second rejection email from a mid-tier supermarket.
AIBU or naive to think that it shouldn't be this hard to get back into work? I'm well educated and come across well but it's just not happening.

SilverDragonfly1 Wed 17-Jun-15 12:40:49

It's just weight of numbers I'm afraid. So many people are applying for every job that at some point even great candidates have to be narrowed down to the few spaces available. At that point it's pretty much names out of a hat and luck that decide the outcome.

PtolemysNeedle Wed 17-Jun-15 12:41:12

It's a shame that it's is so hard, but it's to be expected tbh. There are too many people around wanting too few jobs, especially when it comes to the lower skilled jobs.

SurlyCue Wed 17-Jun-15 12:43:18

Im struggling too. Im not even getting interviews for jobs i have oodles of experience for. I agree it is just that there are so many applying for each job.

crumblybiscuits Wed 17-Jun-15 12:45:05

I've been so lucky in that I just fell into jobs before. It has gotten so much harder in the past few years and I think I take it more personally than I should. I'm considering going back to college to at least try a different approach than retail maybe.

crumblybiscuits Wed 17-Jun-15 12:48:00

The odd thing is the rejection I received today was a counter job which I have loads of experience in and it's not an often wanted job as it's messy so I'm not sure if it is just me not being hire-able.

Do you have restrictions on the hours you can work? If they have the choice between someone who has full flexibility on shifts and someone who doesn't then they will probably pick the former.

crumblybiscuits Wed 17-Jun-15 13:00:23

I do, as it has to be set hours because of nursery so I'm limited to what I can apply for normally. I don't mention my lack of flexibility if I can help it though.

Trizelda Wed 17-Jun-15 13:03:56

Can you ask for feedback, at least for the ones that you were interviewed for?

BearFoxBear Wed 17-Jun-15 13:12:54

There are so many people applying for the same position at the moment it's really difficult. I'm hiring at the moment and had over 110 applications for a single role. It's hard but I have to be brutal.

crumblybiscuits Wed 17-Jun-15 13:15:58

Tri I have just emailed to ask but I'm not sure how far it'll get as they are big companies. It would be nice to know it's not me at least.

Bear That is hard. It just worries me for the future really. I've only done entry level jobs and the competition is so fierce, and I can't see it getting much better.

NotYouNaanBread Wed 17-Jun-15 13:41:58

What are your cover letter and CV like? Happy to lend a hand.

NotYouNaanBread Wed 17-Jun-15 13:42:13

(Seriously, by the way - I am. PM me.)

BearFoxBear Wed 17-Jun-15 18:50:16

I think that you need to put a lot if effort into making your cv and cover letter perfect. For me, if there's no cover letter they aren't that interested. If there are spelling or grammatical errors, it goes in the no pile.

alltoomuchrightnow Wed 17-Jun-15 19:01:29

yanbu. I have a good cv and career history but found it incredibly hard to get back into work after a break. There is way too much competition. I was shocked how bad it was as never had a problem finding work in the past. I couldn't even get a job part time in the local 99pshop with my 27 yrs retail history. Online they will often tell you how many applied. I did some volunteer work as didn't want a big Cv gap. I've now got a part time charity shop management job (not enough hours) but also pot scrubbing at local pub to make ends meet (which is what I did as a 16 year old..am now 44) :-(

alltoomuchrightnow Wed 17-Jun-15 19:03:01

and i didn't have set hours, I made it clear in every job applied for that i was happy to do weekends, bank hols, eves like have always done. Didn't seem to make any difference.
I wish you luck.. keep trying... it's easy to get demoralised. Something will turn up, might not be ideal but stick with it..

alltoomuchrightnow Wed 17-Jun-15 19:06:22

It does worry me though.. what will happen if i lose the little hours I'm given now. Can't go through all that again. I am now looking for an evening bar work job to back this up as can't manage.
Agree with SurlyCue.. so many I had more than enough experience for but didn't even get as far as interview. Or when I did, there were hundreds before/after me. Even for very specific kind of role that I was certain I'd get. Am wondering if in many cases they don't want experience (as think people will be set in their ways) and want teenagers who they can pay less to, and train up 'their' way

sharonthewaspandthewineywall Wed 17-Jun-15 19:11:41

Are you also applying for jobs you are not experienced in? Sometimes that's when you get success

SurlyCue Wed 17-Jun-15 19:18:55

Im restricted by childcare too. I can do 8-6 mon- fri. But so many jobs are saying must be flexible to do evenings and weekends. I have no-one to watch DCs. Their dad was having them every other weekend so i could be available those hours but he stopped 2 months ago and says he wont be starting again. Even when he was he wasnt reliable. I lost a lot of wages at last job due to him not turning up.

alltoomuchrightnow Wed 17-Jun-15 19:27:42

i do agree with Sharon also... I was desperate so had to think outside the box and applied for all sorts. Sometimes it's just a matter of luck and if your face fits.. I ended up applying for things outside of my 'comfort zone' (then again , I had no choice as JSA were on my back!) :-(

sharonthewaspandthewineywall Wed 17-Jun-15 19:39:52

Same here I was unemployed for a while and only got success when I started applying for jobs Id previously not done before

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now