Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed at dog owner whose dog followed me when running

(36 Posts)
Flyonthewindscreen Wed 17-Jun-15 10:17:13

I have just got back from a post school drop off run with a friend down country lanes. At one point a young sheepdog started following us. It came from outside a cluster of several houses so it wasn't clear which one. Me and friend are not dog owners or lovers so not sure what to do. We stopped several times and told the dog to go home but it carried on following us. We decided that if it was still following us by the time we got to the end of the lane and reached the main road, we would change our plans for a circular run and go back the way we came to see if the dog would go home.

Before the main road we passed a house with a man working in the garden and asked if he knew where the dog lived. He didn't but caught the dog for us and checked its collar but no address tag. He said he would hold on to the dog for a bit until we were out of sight in the hope that the dog would then go home.

Shortly after that, a car screeched to a halt next to us. The wandering dog and its owner were in the car. She had driven down the road and found the dog being held by the man. She was furious with us for letting the dog follow us and not returning it home. We did point out that it had been wandering free with no address on its collar and that we were not dog owners and had no idea what we were supposed to do and neither of us liked dogs and wanted to deal with her dog anyway. Also that we had been planning to change our plans and return the way we came if we had got to the main road anyway.

She was still angry and said it was not the first time her dog had followed runners down the road and they had not made the effort to return it!

AIBU to think me and friend hadn't actually done anything wrong?

Wishful80smontage Wed 17-Jun-15 10:19:37

You did not do anything wrong the woman is daft! If the dog has form for running off surely you'd keep a closer eye on it!

JillBYeats Wed 17-Jun-15 10:19:38

Loop the loop owner!! Her dog=her responsibility. I hate when dogs come out on the road when I pass - aggressive or friendly. I love dogs and always say hello to them if I pass but I wouldn't stop to pet one in case they thought I wanted them to come for a run with me!

You didn't do anything wrong.

VivaLeBeaver Wed 17-Jun-15 10:19:51

Yanbu.

She needs to put an address on the collar and sort her fence out.

FenellaFellorick Wed 17-Jun-15 10:19:59

No you did nothing wrong.
She could, oh, I dunno... secure her garden or train her dog instead of making this everyone else's problem.
I wouldn't give it another moment of your headspace.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 17-Jun-15 10:21:33

YANBU.

There is so much the owner did wrong, let it loose in the first place, not having an id tag on the dog, then having the cheek to have a go at you just trying to go about your business.

I'm a dog owner, and would fully take responsibility if my dog got out and started chasing someone.

FarFromAnyRoad Wed 17-Jun-15 10:21:42

You did too much explaining. A swift but meaningful 'FUCK OFF' would have done.

I am a dog lover and owner of two - both collared and chipped and secured within the grounds of the house. She sounds like an irresponsible idiot.

NeverGoOutOfStyle Wed 17-Jun-15 10:24:11

She's a bloody idiot YANBU!

I love dogs, and have many, and they all have microchips and address collars, how stupid of this woman to think its your responsibility to look after her dog!

Tinklewinkle Wed 17-Jun-15 10:29:33

We'll, if it's not the first time, then she should be taking more care that her dog doesn't get out.

My dog has once managed to escape from the house, with the best will in the world it happens, but I took full responsibility, was very apologetic and grateful to the person who bought him back and we checked and doubled checked the back fences to make sure it couldn't happen again

It is also a legal requirement that the dog is wearing an ID tag when out in public.

chocolateyay Wed 17-Jun-15 10:32:20

Its a sheepdog... its what they do - run!

They need loads and loads of exercise, so if it were mine, I'd be paying you to take him along on your jog!

BaronessBomburst Wed 17-Jun-15 10:35:48

DH got followed by a cow once.

Flyonthewindscreen Wed 17-Jun-15 11:04:57

Thanks for replies, glad consensus is that IWNBU. Great thread ending BaronessBomburst smile

No - that can't be the ending - we need more details, Baroness! Why did a cow follow your dh? What did he do? If it had followed him home, would you have let him keep it?

Kamer - the woman was a wankbadger of the highest order. Her dog's safety is not your responsibility, it's hers, and if it runs after runners, she needs to make sure a) she's done all she can to ensure it can't escape, and b) it's got its address on a tag on its collar, so if it does do a Houdini, it can be brought home (dogs do sometimes manage to slip out, despite the owners' best efforts, so it behoves us to make sure our dogs can be identified easily - ours have our phone number on the tags).

MelanieCheeks Wed 17-Jun-15 11:39:30

I've taken photographs of loose dogs that follow me and forwarded them to the local dog warden.

ShaynePunim Wed 17-Jun-15 11:41:54

YANBU. The dog owner is clearly deranged.

TriJo Wed 17-Jun-15 11:41:58

Owner's responsibility to keep their dogs under control, simple as that. Not OP's fault or problem at all.

chaletdays Wed 17-Jun-15 11:42:23

She sounds totally mad. YADNBU.

GRT Wed 17-Jun-15 11:44:13

"OK, well since you want to be rude about it: Aren't you lucky YOUR failure to control YOUR dog didn't lead to it being killed? YOU could have got YOUR dog killed through YOUR neglect. Next time I will run to the local RSPCA and hand it in."

14Elephants Wed 17-Jun-15 12:11:36

So she got her dog then put it in the car and drove to find you?! OMG definitely a fruit loop.

BaronessBomburst Wed 17-Jun-15 12:19:55

No, I would not have let him keep it! A pig, maybe. grin

He was running along and he said he became aware of something behind him just at his left shoulder. He looked round and it was a cow. A small one, not a baby. (Do you mean a calf? No, he said, bigger than that but smaller than a proper cow.)
So, he stopped, and the cow stopped. He glanced around, but couldn't see any obvious fields or open gates as he was in the wooded bit of the lane, and not being an animal person thought, oh well, someone's lost a cow and just jogged off again.
The cow followed.
He speeded up a bit and broke into a sprint in the hope of leaving it behind but the cow speeded up too and started galloping. (Do cows gallop?) He figured this wasn't good and that he ought to Do Something.
So he stopped again and the cow stopped and stood looking at him. He then said that he heard a vehicle approaching from around the bend and started to panic as the cow was in the middle of the road. But the vehicle turned out to be a 4x4 buggy thing with two men in it. One jumped out, and without saying anything to DH, tied a rope around the cow and led it off back down the lane with the chap in the buggy just pootling along behind.
And DH went back to his run.

IrianofWay Wed 17-Jun-15 12:24:03

YANBU. I am a runner, one who happens to own and like dogs but even I get the wind up when I see a sheep dog approach me in a country lane. So many semi-feral farm dogs are left to wander and they aren't always the nicest.

tabulahrasa Wed 17-Jun-15 12:29:12

WTF? She expects people to return her dog for her? As if they've somehow borrowed it rather than she's just lost it.

No, YANBU at all, she definitely was.

Nottalotta Wed 17-Jun-15 12:42:58

Excellent cow story.

Yanbu OP. And the dog owner is clearly nuts. Probably what I would have dine was knock at one of the group of houses and ask them where it lived, and returned it home then carried on with my run. Certainly not your responsibility to do so but I would have worried about it getting run over.

MythicalKings Wed 17-Jun-15 12:46:36

I'd have carried on running. Not your dog, not your problem.

hiddenhome Wed 17-Jun-15 12:59:27

Lol at jogging cow grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now