Talk

Advanced search

Facebook 'couples'

(80 Posts)
Lolimax Tue 16-Jun-15 22:11:19

A few friends of mine on Facebook have become couples- ie instead of Jane Smith they've either become Jane and John Smith if married or Jane Smith and Harry Whatever if not. And it really annoys me. Firstly because I don't actually know who is writing especially if I don't know the other half and it also worries me about a huge lack of trust. Aibu?

CrystalHaze Tue 16-Jun-15 22:13:36

YABU. It's none of your business, and like most facebook crap, it doesn't matter one iota.

NomiMalone Tue 16-Jun-15 22:14:26

Joint Facebook account = huge trust and control issues.

One or both has cheated or is suspected of doing so.

QueenBean Tue 16-Jun-15 22:14:55

I think it is weird, and bizarrely reliant on each other

Although, in the grand scheme of things Facebook is totally irrelevant so move on

snowglobemouse Tue 16-Jun-15 22:14:55

It doesn't matter. It's weird and I've never do it but it's nothing to you

manicinsomniac Tue 16-Jun-15 22:14:56

YANBU, I have 2 couples like this on my facebook and it drives me strangely mad! It's like they're not a whole person by themselves or something.

Although I did laugh the other day when it appeared that my (very stereotypically) male friend was 'enjoying a relaxing pamper day of 'me' time' at a local spa! grin I don't really know his wife and she rarely uses fb so I usually just associate the account with him.

WorraLiberty Tue 16-Jun-15 22:16:48

I think it's just the modern day equivalent of 'His' and 'Hers' dressing gowns grin

DoJo Tue 16-Jun-15 22:17:39

Joint Facebook account = huge trust and control issues.

Or a couple who don't use Facebook that much, have mostly shared friends and don't see the point in maintaining separate accounts when they are going to share whatever they see on there anyway. This is certainly the case for the 'couples' accounts of my friends.

If it annoys you, you can unfriend them, but unless you have other reasons to believe that the relationship is unhealthy then I don't think it's necessarily anything to worry about on the trust front.

LittleBearPad Tue 16-Jun-15 22:18:45

It's like joint email addresses - also really odd.

NomiMalone Tue 16-Jun-15 22:20:56

That's almost worse DoJo.

Being so codependent that you would never want to share your own thoughts or opinions. Not an individual, just half of a couple.

And it takes like 46 seconds to join FB hmm .

I stand by my original post.

Lolimax Tue 16-Jun-15 22:21:49

I agree it's irrelevant in the greater scheme of life but I use Facebook like many people to keep in touch with people I rarely see. So when the other half pops up as joined at the hip who I don't know I then stop commenting or messaging as its like talking to a stranger and well I can do that at my own bus stop. It's just a little weird. But I do like the His n Hers dressing gowns analogy!!

katiegg Tue 16-Jun-15 22:21:52

I find it weird too, I have a few 'couples' on my friends list and to be honest, I don't engage much with them over fb... I don't think that I'm not sure who I'm actually talking to!

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Tue 16-Jun-15 22:22:20

FB is a piece of shit. I judge anyone who takes it seriously enough to have an opinion about it.

katiegg Tue 16-Jun-15 22:22:47

I don't like that I'm not sure who I'm actually talking to!

sorry, it's been a long day!

Moln Tue 16-Jun-15 22:23:26

Just saw someone (well ok two someones) with this. Did think "well that's weird"

but I'm not (thankfully) in a relationship that would do this so ultimately I feel "whatever weridy couple"

ollieplimsoles Tue 16-Jun-15 22:26:13

Troll I agree to an extent their, I despise facebook so this is just another bullshit aspect of it that isn't worth getting upset about. Like parents who set up and maintain profiles for their newborn babies...

CrystalHaze Tue 16-Jun-15 22:27:40

Like parents who set up and maintain profiles for their newborn babies...

People do that?! confused

Sallyingforth Tue 16-Jun-15 22:30:07

I do wish that people would post their Facebook issues in the place designed for them ...

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/facebook

Cooroo Tue 16-Jun-15 22:31:27

Never mind babies, I'm FB friends with 3 dogs and a rabbit.

Only couple I know who share an ID are my cousin and his husband. It is confusing. I sort of assume one does FB and the other pops on occasionally.

ollieplimsoles Tue 16-Jun-15 22:32:09

Yep.. Three friends I recently and even more on my page in general. I have them on my friends list because I use fb for self promotion and they are in the same profession. But they maintain these profiles.on behalf of their children, they post on their behalf too, like 'I was a good girl, I slept for 6 hours through the night' and they post pics too. 'I love going out with my grandma' 'Im learning how to use the big boy toilet' etc...

CrystalHaze Tue 16-Jun-15 22:36:06

they post on their behalf too, like 'I was a good girl, I slept for 6 hours through the night' and they post pics too. 'I love going out with my grandma' 'Im learning how to use the big boy toilet' etc...

Where's the 'vom' emoticon when you need it?

cerealqueen Tue 16-Jun-15 22:37:15

YANBU. It's a bit like one email account used by couples, but when you get an email from, the name that comes up is the husband's. A couple of times I've nearly ignored it thinking 'who is that' then twigged op opening it is from the wife!!!

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Tue 16-Jun-15 22:38:45

I admit I wonder why they do it.

I have two cracking examples on my "friend" list (actual names changed, but you'll get the gist of it);

PamNDean CarterToBeLewis. That belongs to 'Pam Carter' and fiancee Dean Lewis.

Shelly MarkysWifeeeeeee Burns. Belongs to Shelly Burns, married to Mark.

Also in a similar fashion;

Vanessa ProudMommaToPrincessLucy Jones.

Why?

ollieplimsoles Tue 16-Jun-15 22:40:13

The best thing is that recently I tried to add one of these baby profiles to my friend list, thinking it was my friend when I saw the profile pic of her baby.

She sent me back a message, writing as the baby, and said "Hello thank you for trying to add me, unfortunately my mummy only lets close friends and family members be my friend on facebook as I don't know how to read yet!".....baby is 8 weeks old.

BackforGood Tue 16-Jun-15 22:42:22

This:

Joint Facebook account = huge trust and control issues

Or a couple who don't use Facebook that much, have mostly shared friends and don't see the point in maintaining separate accounts when they are going to share whatever they see on there anyway. This is certainly the case for the 'couples' accounts of my friends

If it annoys you, you can unfriend them, but unless you have other reasons to believe that the relationship is unhealthy then I don't think it's necessarily anything to worry about on the trust front

My dcs' grandparents have one account between them. They only really use it to see pictures of their Grandchildren, and the odd picture of their other relations. GM isn't very IT savvy so would never use an account herself if you set it up for her, so it makes sense that GDad logs on now and then, and shows her things and she will sometimes type a comment. Nothing to do with being a trust issue - don't project your own life onto everyone else's.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now