Talk

Advanced search

AIBU - eBay buyer

(21 Posts)
bored1602 Tue 16-Jun-15 17:46:17

I've been having a big clear out of my wardrobe and sold a few things on eBay which finished on Sunday evening (8pm). I spent yesterday popping everything that sold through the wash (they weren't dirty but has sat in the wardrobe for a while so I thought it was the nicest thing to do), ran them to the post office at lunchtime and then marked as dispatched when I got home from work (about 4.30pm)

Now one of the buyers is messaging me up in arms because eBay stated estimated delivery is 17th (tomorrow) - 18th and she wanted it for tomorrow!!

I tried to explain that I don't set the estimated delivery but eBay does based on which delivery option you specify - I realised that they must've classed Sunday as a day when they ask you how long it takes to post.

AIBU to be pissed off or is she entitled to expect postage the next morning?

momtothree Tue 16-Jun-15 17:50:25

Either way there is nothing you can do. Its in the post. I think you have 7 days from payment date to post, so you have done all you can. She could havr offered to pay next day delivery...

MrsHathaway Tue 16-Jun-15 17:50:39

If you've specified fast postage (bearing in mind you enter the amount separately) then I'm afraid I do think you should have been at the post office yesterday.

On the other hand, buyer is an idiot to rely on something arriving at the beginning of the estimated slot.

DamnBamboo Tue 16-Jun-15 17:51:00

It's NU for a buyer to expect them on the 17th, if you do in fact indicate that that's when they may arrive.

You can change you know, ebay don't decide when you have to post your sold items. You do.

kslatts Tue 16-Jun-15 17:51:31

If it arrives by Thursday then it's within the estimated time so YANBU, did you post first class?

SoupDragon Tue 16-Jun-15 17:53:52

I think the buyer is unreasonable because she would have had to pay for next day delivery to guarantee that an item bought on Sunday would arrive by Wednesday.

bluesbaby Tue 16-Jun-15 17:54:32

I would've cleaned them before listing personally, but you can also adjust the expected despatch and delivery dates too. I always do this because I can't always get to the post office in working hours, and I use second class which is less predictable, but saves costs for buyer and me.

TedAndLola Tue 16-Jun-15 17:58:14

The only way you could be unreasonable was if you specified in the listing that you would post it on Monday. Otherwise, she should have paid extra for something with a next-day delivery option.

bored1602 Tue 16-Jun-15 18:02:01

MrsHathaway I specified Hermes delivery which is what I used - it says 2 working days but it's taken longer in the past, I suppose eBay takes 2 working days as a maximum. But even then I'd have had to drop off first thing Monday

bluesbaby I agree - I will do in the future. I'm always a little reluctant to clean beforehand as I once listed, cleaned and ironed 7 dresses (all with various care labels) and then only sold 2 - for 99p each sad

DamnBamboo ooh where is this? I've never specified when I'll post before and never had any problems - there must be an option I've been missing when I list. As I've never has a problem I must've assumed eBay sets it so you can't dilly dally grin

sadwidow28 Tue 16-Jun-15 18:04:46

Try to keep things pleasant with your buyer. Don't forget that they can give you feedback (and trash your stars!)

Where you went wrong was using Monday to wash the items when Monday should have been your postal day. (I keep an eye on bids during the week and as soon as I know that something will sell, I get it ready for posting.)

Like others have said, list with 2nd class P&P which is less predictable (and gives you a greater time for wrapping, packing and posting). I upgrade to 1st class at MY expense on the rare occasions that something unexpected happens in RL.

sadwidow28 Tue 16-Jun-15 18:11:57

I specified Hermes delivery which is what I used - it says 2 working days but it's taken longer in the past, I suppose eBay takes 2 working days as a maximum. But even then I'd have had to drop off first thing Monday

You have done something wrong in the listing. Hermes is 'other courier 3-5 days'. I use it all the time for anything over 1kg. My delivery date is calculated with that time allowance from the 'dispatch within x no of days' which I state as 1 day (or sometimes 2 days for larger items that need a lot of careful packaging and wrapping). In my experience, it takes 4 days to arrive if you use a drop-off shop and 5 days if you use courier collection.

There have been the odd 'flooks' where parcels have arrived in 24 - 36 hours ..... but that is very rare.

Can you go back and just read through the listing that is causing a problem and see what it says exactly - and where you might have clicked something in error.

DamnBamboo Tue 16-Jun-15 18:26:32

Can't remember OP as I haven't sold anything for a while.
But you can indicate how long after cleared payment you will take to despatch the items and then of course the allowed period of time for postage on top of this, gives an indicator as to when the parcel should arrive.
No biggie in the grand scheme of things though, you have until tomorrow, although from what you've said, if it doesn't arrive by EOB on 18th, you may well get negative feedback. Some buyers are arseholes.

bored1602 Tue 16-Jun-15 18:29:43

sadwidow28 Now I feel dreadful! It seems I specified Hermes delivery on the first item but left it on Standard (3-4 working days) on the others!

Although the receipt from Hermes does specify that they aim for 2 working days and it seems on the listing it's specified two working days for dispatch, so all being well that takes us to Thursday anyway which is still within the estimated delivery - so nothing to kick up too much of a fuss about smile

I'll definitely be more careful in future though! I spend far too long trying to get a decent picture of a dress that'll most likely never fit again and then must rush the rest!

Loletta Tue 16-Jun-15 18:45:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sadwidow28 Tue 16-Jun-15 19:25:29

Loletta I posted 2 parcels with hermes last week. Both took 4 days to be delivered from parcel shop.

I have just checked the myHermes site:

"Please allow up to 5 working days for your parcel to be delivered to a standard UK address and 7 working days to remote areas such as the Highlands, Islands of Scotland, Isle of Man and Isle of Wight."

ChanandlerBongsNeighbour Tue 16-Jun-15 19:30:06

I always change the handling time from 3 to 5 working days just to give myself a bit of extra wiggle room. I also state my posting days in the listing (as I can't post everyday) I then always try and post the earliest of my posted posting says after payment received. If they wanted it faster, they should have contacted you!

sadwidow28 Tue 16-Jun-15 19:31:59

Found another FAQ on myHermes site:

If your parcel was collected by a courier, it will typically reach the recipient within 3-5 working days. If your parcel was dropped off at a ParcelShop or Parcel Locker, it will typically reach the recipient within 2-4 working days.

Delivery to remote areas such as the Highlands and Islands of Scotland, the Isle of Man or the Isle of Wight may take up to 7 working days.

Tizwailor Tue 16-Jun-15 21:36:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsHathaway Tue 16-Jun-15 22:55:59

But even then I'd have had to drop off first thing Monday

Yes, I think the point is that although Sunday isn't a working day for the purposes of posting, it is certainly a day in which one could prepare parcels. I agree with pp that as soon as I know something has sold (ie it has one bid, or has reached its reserve) I clean/fold/package ready to go, and plan to send it on the first working day. I end my auctions on convenient days - so if I want time to sort things out I make sure it ends on a Saturday lunchtime or afternoon; for collection in person I'd want to finish on a Thursday or Friday for weekend collection.

MrsHathaway Tue 16-Jun-15 22:57:25

Oh and I find the eBay suggested postage wildly inaccurate. Got stung recently because it seemed to suggest postage based on similar previous listings but without reference to real postal pricing - I rounded up and still ended up losing bid price to postage.

youareallbonkers Wed 17-Jun-15 00:02:04

You can specify a handling time. And it adds that to the number of days

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now