Talk

Advanced search

To tell DD 17yo she has to eat in her bathroom with the cats

(21 Posts)
Stratter5 Tue 16-Jun-15 13:23:30

If she doesn't stop forgetting to do the litter trays?

3 cats, 3 litter trays. I do them every morning, and she is supposed to do them every night. She wants to take the cats with her when she has her own place, and it's not happening unless I can guarantee she will remember to take care of them properly.

If they have to eat in the same room as pissy, shitty litter trays, so ahould she if she can't remember to keep them clean.

<lighthearted>

Spog Tue 16-Jun-15 13:27:01

YANBU.
quite right.
she needs to learn to look after 'her' cats properly.

IHaveBrilloHair Tue 16-Jun-15 13:29:23

Same argument in our house, dd adores the cats, but only cleans the trays if I nag.

Stratter5 Tue 16-Jun-15 14:10:40

Table or off the floor? I'm leaning towards floor, personally.

RainbowFlutterby Tue 16-Jun-15 14:13:06

Table as it's better for the digestive system.

Put one of the trays on the table.

00100001 Tue 16-Jun-15 14:17:57

Just stop doing it for her at all.

If she can't do it, move the cats' stuff to another place and claim them as your own.

Wonkina123 Tue 16-Jun-15 14:26:35

Cleaning litter trays twice a day seems excessive. Do you have outdoor space? We just stopped using trays & cats learned to go outside-never had an accident. However, thats not your point i realise. I would stop the cleaning-at the moment you are moaning about it but continuing to do it so she wont learn.

cozietoesie Tue 16-Jun-15 14:47:16

The trouble is that if she 'forgets', it's the cats who suffer and not her. I'd simply tell her she's not having the cats - if she can't remember something as basic as cleaning trays, how good is she going to be with the rest of their care. Especially when living in her own place so possibly going out partying or similar.

00100001 Tue 16-Jun-15 14:48:20

The only way she will do it thought is if she has to do it iyswim?

cozietoesie Tue 16-Jun-15 14:53:19

Maybe so - but in my view, it's too much to risk the well-being of 3 cats to force a resolution of the issue.

00100001 Tue 16-Jun-15 16:05:32

true.

I would still 'move' the cats

ThinkIveBeenHacked Tue 16-Jun-15 16:07:04

Just dont cook for her.

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 16-Jun-15 16:08:08

Get her an automatic, self-cleaning litter tray. They exist!

Stratter5 Tue 16-Jun-15 16:21:05

They are indoor cats; 2 of them have never been outside, the third is a foster cat, who was picked up as an injured stray. He's horrified at the thought of going outside, I think he views my house as his 'safe place'.

cozie is right, I'm not prepared to let the cats suffer. Their trays get cleaned out morning and night, and if they do a poo during the day I remove it.

She has to prove she will take as good care of them as I do, or they stay with me, no matter how much she loves them.

LadyDeGrump Tue 16-Jun-15 18:46:03

Im not sure that a 17-18 yo leaving home for the first time should be able to take the cats with. Is she moving into a secure rental by herself? Or - as is more likely - is she m9ving in to some kind of short term rental shared house, negotiating housekeeping whilst living with other people also inrxperienced in living away from home, not devoted to your cats or responsive to their needs? Would housemates be careful not to let them get out accidently, for example?

SoldierBear Tue 16-Jun-15 18:51:28

Put the litter trays in her bedroom.

CoffeeAndBiscuitsPlease Tue 16-Jun-15 18:52:15

Cleaning litter trays twice a day seems excessive.

Is it hell, we do it twice a day for our two indoor cats, they tend to pee in the morning and poo in the evening. Not leaving it festering all day!

gamerchick Tue 16-Jun-15 18:55:44

What do you mean by cleaning it out? Like totally emptying, washing and filling up again or just scooping out the dirty bits?

DownAtFraggleRock Tue 16-Jun-15 18:59:48

Not excessive IMHO

we scoop 2 or 3 times a day and fully change and clean boxes once a week. 2 cats who only 'go' indoors. ours are in the basement, thankfully grin

and yes she needs to show she'll take good care of them before she can take them, quite agree

Denimwithdenim00 Tue 16-Jun-15 19:06:25

I have suffered all day with a moaning whinging hormonal teenage dd.

She's just phoned me from upstairs to inform me the cat is meowing outside her bedroom door and could I sort it out. She's busy fake tanning. angry

I feel your pain op. I would sling out the teen now and keep the cats.

Stratter5 Tue 16-Jun-15 21:16:26

Same as Fraggle for cleaning routine.

She won't be leaving home for at least another year, so she will be 19 at least. And will probably be living with her BF in MrStratter's rental house - he's buying some to rent out to uni students.

She's not having the cats unless I'm happy she will care for them properly. She's very competent, can cook, clean, do laundry, etc; I've always involved them in chores, as I want them to be capable when they leave home. It's simply laziness/forgetfulness in this instant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now