Talk

Advanced search

Unhelpful delivery drivers

(24 Posts)
weeweeweeassoonasigethome Tue 16-Jun-15 11:03:55

I've just had a roughly 4 feet high by 1.5 feet wide parcel delivered by DHL. When I opened the door he placed the box just inside and asked me to sign the thingy (for want of a better word). I signed and asked if he could bring the box a bit further into the hallway. He just shook his head. I think I may have raised my eyebrows slightly as he then said he couldn't because he wouldn't be covered by insurance, not even for older or disabled people.

Luckily the parcel was lighter than I thought it would be anyway and wasn't a problem for me to move in order to shut the front door, still required some shuffling though. That was today, when my back is ok. But if it had been heavier and my back was really playing up I would probably have really struggled to get it moved. I'm sure though that there are many people who would have found it even more difficult to move today's box in order for them to shut their front door.

Have I just been lucky with delivery drivers up to now? They've usually brought large parcels and boxes into the hallway far enough that they haven't blocked the front door. Is it the norm for the drivers to now leave things at the door?

Mulligrubs Tue 16-Jun-15 11:08:40

You've been lucky before, it would have been nice for him to help a bit more today but he brought it in and put it inside the door - he did his job.

DrDre Tue 16-Jun-15 11:11:45

He may have been under severe time pressure and had loads of other deliveries to do before a certain time, he probably hasn't got time to help everyone move their packages.

weeweeweeassoonasigethome Tue 16-Jun-15 11:16:01

He might have been doing his job, but would another 2 feet into the hallway have put him out that much?

reredos1 Tue 16-Jun-15 11:19:13

I was once trapped in the house, unable to get out until DP got home because a driver did exactly that. It blocked the door way and I couldn't move it.

weeweeweeassoonasigethome Tue 16-Jun-15 11:24:39

reredos1 that's awful. I hope it wasn't the middle of winter.

I can understand in today's litigation mad society that companies have to protect themselves and their staff, but surely a little common sense could be applied.

justbatteringon Tue 16-Jun-15 11:26:22

Don't sign it until he puts it where you want it next time.

HarrietVane99 Tue 16-Jun-15 11:32:20

If he's not insured, he's not insured. What if an uninsured delivery person accidentally damaged something in bringing an item into the house? Banning delivery people from entering houses also protects them from accusations of theft, if something goes missing.

weeweeweeassoonasigethome Tue 16-Jun-15 12:06:35

Harriet I get what you're saying. But surely leaving someone unable to close their front door for what could be many hours is unreasonable? Especially if the receiver has asked for the parcel to be moved.

Surely it wouldn't take much for them to have an extra bit to sign stating that you are willing to take responsibility for any loss or damage if you request a parcel is brought further into the house?

kslatts Tue 16-Jun-15 12:24:55

Surely it wouldn't take much for them to have an extra bit to sign stating that you are willing to take responsibility for any loss or damage if you request a parcel is brought further into the house?

I agree, however that is not up to the delivery driver, if his company have told him he can't bring it in due to insurance then he is just doing his job.

Collaborate Tue 16-Jun-15 12:59:26

When most people (on Amazon) choose the free delivery service, what do you expect them to do? They'll have far too many to deliver for the day, so have to hare around and won't have time to chat, or to do anything other than hand it to you then run.

So they're told to give it you at the door step. Fair enough. You say it was only another 2 feet, but it was beyond your front door. If he was to bring it 2 feet into the house, why not 4 feet? Or six? Or ten, 15, oh and while he's at it could he just take it upstairs?

CityLink went bust because of the pittance they're paid.

muminhants1 Tue 16-Jun-15 13:18:07

It's nonsense, I've had delivery drivers ask me if it's ok to leave it at the door or do I want it taking in somewhere else because it's heavy. Either they are insured or they are not, not just some of them. It probably had a lot more to do with the fact that he was running behind time and wanted to drop and run.

RepeatAdNauseum Tue 16-Jun-15 13:21:32

If he injured himself moving it inside, and he's not covered by his companies' insurance, it's going to be you that he tries to claim from.

Some companies do have better insurance than others. Some drivers have their own insurance.

Gabilan Tue 16-Jun-15 13:24:29

Tbh I'm generally impressed if they turn up, without having decided it's not worth the bother of finding my cottage and returning the item to sender marked as "damaged". Having also been sitting at home waiting for a parcel only to catch a driver putting a "Sorry you were out card" through the door I also find actually ringing the bell to see if you're in a bit of a bonus.

One driver did refuse to carry a large box up a set of stairs to the front door of where I worked. My response was to pick the box up, hoick it onto my shoulder and stomp up said stairs. He was so embarrassed that a willowy size 8 woman succeeded where he hadn't even tried that ever since then he's been very helpful with lifting parcels.

tallulahturtle Fri 19-Jun-15 06:54:35

I deliver wine and often heavy party orders beer, ice etc. I am only required to get it to the front door.

Depending on the customers attitude I may offer to put it where it is needed (varies from very very welcoming to the sort of people that would have a problem with a builder using their downstairs loo).

If this chap was a multi drop driver, to earn a decent wage he has to deliver loads and loads of parcels and so doesn't have time for much fannying around.

MythicalKings Fri 19-Jun-15 06:58:26

I always check that heavy deliveries will be brought inside before ordering and I'm happy to pay extra for that.

morelikeguidelines Fri 19-Jun-15 07:37:11

We had a guy deliver salt for the soft water system. Lots and lots of very heavy packets. I have a bad back and also not very strong.

He didn't even knock at the door but just started piling it in the porch. I happened to open the door to go and collect my dd from school and he was there piling it up. Porch is insecure (although who would nick salt I suppose?).

He had also blocked the drive with his van so I couldn't get out to collect her (there was a reason why the car was needed).

I don't know but I think he should have at least knocked on the door so we could ask him to put the salt inside the house. Then it could wait til my husband got home to move it. But my plan was to open garage door so he could put it in there (where it goes) which would have been no more work for him - nearer to where he was parked than the porch.

stripytees Fri 19-Jun-15 09:06:16

You knew you were ordering something big though, it's not as if it was a surprise it arrived.

FatherHenderson Fri 19-Jun-15 09:19:49

I had a delivery driver refuse to bring a package into the porch when I was 8 month pregnant. The parcel was not that heavy but kind of awkward. He was rude, then stauntered back to his van as I tried to kind of kick it through the hall. I called up the company that I bought the item from and complained. They apologised profusely.

ChanandlerBongsNeighbour Fri 19-Jun-15 09:38:12

When I was 8 months pregnant I waited in all day for an 8am to 5.30pk delivery slot for my toddlers new 'grown up' bed to be delivered. At 5.15 I phoned customer services to enquire as to its whereabouts as I would need to leave the house at 5.30 sharp to collect said toddler from nursery before it closed at 5.45. She told me they were running late but it was on its way, I quickly knocked at NDN and she agreed to take it, I explained this to customer services who assured me they would communicate this to delivery driver (worth noting that it was wnd of November, dark and raining).

I waddled home at about 5.50 to find huge wrought iron single bed frame in soggy box leaning against my front door with mattress leaning limply beside it!

Luckily my NDN was having a gathering/party and her guests were able to help shift it all into the house, I dread to think what would have happened otherwise!!

Needless to say I complained about the delivery!

worridmum Fri 19-Jun-15 10:03:24

sadly it truly is due to inserunce if the delvery person injuries themsleves while in a customers house they will NOT be able to claim on their employers insurence so to claim any money they would have to SUE the householder and how many of those can afford / do have home insurnce that covers personal injury claims against them (very few you normally have to request that feature espically)

So if he put his back out while in your home not only would he be out of pocket as its doubtful he would be able to sue you they would also most likely be out of a job due to gross misconduct / breaching terms of his contract as they normally say front door step only no matter what so he could also lose his job and that is why there are soo few helpful delivery drivers would you risk your job / career to help someone? if you had a family to feed etc

IsItEnough Fri 19-Jun-15 10:20:34

I agree you've been lucky in the past.
When I was pregnant with my first the chap who delivered my changing unit absolutely insisted on carrying it into the living room as my entrance hall was tiny and I wouldn't be able to close the door without moving it! he did say he isn't supposed to for insurance but he wouldn't let me carry it!! Nice chap.

When I was pregnant with my second I ordered some bits, came in a massive box, delivery man left it half over the threshold and refused to help me move it. I had to open it there and unpack it before I could close the front door!

IgnoreMeEveryOtherReindeerDoes Fri 19-Jun-15 10:29:25

When I ordered a bed I explained and said I was heavily pregnant so I would need it bringing inside the house not dumped on doorstep. Delivery driver was very rude and shouted at me then threw my items inside the door, first time I ever complained about someone I was sobbing on the phone and company apologised and refunded me £25 delivery charge.

Its pc gone mad about this not covered by insurance lark but I guess many people have claimed this got broken/damaged during delivery for it to come about in first place.

Collaborate Fri 19-Jun-15 10:56:38

PP- it's not political correctness at all. They're just paid next to nothing for the service, so they do the bare minimum. They also don't want to do stuff they're not being paid to do, particularly if that means they'll be liable if they drop something, or scrape a wall or whatever. They must get complaints when that happens, so why should they bother?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now