Talk

Advanced search

To ask what's the most tactless thing anyone has ever said to you?

(457 Posts)
Squirrel78 Mon 15-Jun-15 19:42:57

I've had someone come up to me today gushing "I didn't know you were expecting again?!" I'm not. Don't know who was more mortified - her or me! My stomach has grown over the last few months probably because I don't exercise enough. Now I'm tearful, depressed and embarking on a diet and the only thing that can cheer me up is s bit of shared misery!!

BreadmakerFan Mon 15-Jun-15 19:44:29

It would have been better if you were a boy.

I nearly had you aborted.

Dont have more kids, you can't cope with the ones you have.

Mother
Mother
MIL

Mother gave me away

Gatekeeper Mon 15-Jun-15 19:45:27

Some bloke telling me when I was 18 and very sensitive about such things that my nose was like a road map of the himalayas!!!

SnapesCapes Mon 15-Jun-15 19:45:49

"You're carrying more weight now than I've ever known you carry before". From a behemoth of a woman who looks like she's expecting a litter. Of full grown cows.

Also "You still look pregnant, are you sure you're not?" after losing twins at 26 weeks. That one sucked massive ass.

flowers for the rudeness. Some people should have their traps stapled shut.

Yarp Mon 15-Jun-15 19:46:55

Not to me, but easily overheard said to someone on the phone 'She's still got a bit of a tummy" A few days after DS1 was born

Ridiculous to be upset by that really, but I was in a bad way after an emergency CS, and it was such a trivial thing to say, and it hurt me

My FIL said that 'He'd always seen me as such a petite girl' - again a few months after my second child's birth. Another time he was trying to compliment me by saying 'I never saw you as the maternal type'

2gorgeousboys Mon 15-Jun-15 19:47:20

My father in law passed away suddenly whilst on holiday. A couple of weeks later my boss went on holiday and when he came back I asked if he'd had a nice time "yes thanks" he replied "and at least nobody died". He couldn't understand why I was upset!

AnyFucker Mon 15-Jun-15 19:47:26

when I had my second-in-a-row miscarriage someone said to me "do you want one of mine ? (children)"

cleanmyhouse Mon 15-Jun-15 19:47:27

Post natal depression? But you ran an office, why can't you cope with a baby?

scarletforya Mon 15-Jun-15 19:47:37

I was in a shop maybe last year when the woman behind the till exclaimed 'oh you look so like Glenn Close'. I was really hurt and mumbled a bit. So she said it again, much louder with more emphasis. It was hurtful enough the first time.

I don't look anything like her anyway.

CombineBananaFister Mon 15-Jun-15 19:48:11

Old lady peering into Ds' pram who I thought was going to coo said instead
' aww, what a shame about the red hair' shock
Who knew the oldies are such haters? I love my little ginga-ninja, nasty old bag

ReadtheSmallPrint Mon 15-Jun-15 19:48:20

When someone found out I am visually impaired:

"Have you thought about trying glasses?"

Whathaveilost Mon 15-Jun-15 19:49:00

At a party at my mums house I was re introduced to one of her friends I hadn't seen in 15 years.
Mum ' this is our Jill, Jill, do you remember my friend Pat?'
Pat looks at me, thinks and says ' ah yes, last time I saw you, you were nice and slim'

I know I shouldn't have got upset, but still!

Crocodopolis Mon 15-Jun-15 19:50:58

Someone once said to me "Some people have a big 'S' on their forehead. For single. Because no one would ever want them."

Stealthpolarbear Mon 15-Jun-15 19:51:16

When I'd just had meningitis, 10 days in hospital, nearly died
"Still you've lost loads of weight. Make sure you don't pile it all back on"

albertcamus Mon 15-Jun-15 19:52:14

Why don't you go to Weightwatchers ?'
By a fellow teacher
I was 10 stone @ 5 foot 8, size 12 sad
I brought it on myself by moaning about my C-section pot belly, but it has always stuck in my mind as hurtful & tactless. I would not say it to anyone, what they do is up to them.

Yarp Mon 15-Jun-15 19:52:55

Wow, some of these are just downright cruel

enviro300 Mon 15-Jun-15 19:55:12

You and your man need to get a fucking grip and phone me I feel stupid because of YOU.
My MOTHER after us phoning her to explain our baby was ectopic, I'd been in hospital but survived....angry

amazingtracy Mon 15-Jun-15 19:55:24

A week after my husband died (very young and suddenly)-some bright spark consoled me with the fact that 'He's in a happier place now'. hmm I believe he was perfectly happy where is was!

Another bitch told me that she was 'well jealous' and the envy of every woman in the room! She tried to convince me like I was mad not to agree with her!

Sorry squirrel- I think we've all been there (I'm heavier than when I was 9 months pregnant!).....well, I still am there!

scribblescrabble Mon 15-Jun-15 19:56:30

'You don't sweat much for a fat bird' said in an admiring way after a my first and last!! one night stand!

MsAspreyDiamonds Mon 15-Jun-15 19:56:35

The wife of my dh's friend left a nasty voicemail message accusing us of ruining her dh's birthday party because we didn't attend. Our dc was on a life support machine having been born very early.

dingit Mon 15-Jun-15 19:56:57

FIL told me my wedding dress suited me as it was for a big person, and sils suited her as she was little ( we got married the same year). It was 22 years ago now, but I've never forgotten.

PrawnToast12 Mon 15-Jun-15 19:57:06

Just googled Glenn close. What's wrong with looking like her? She looks lovely to me.

DeidreChambersWhatACoincidence Mon 15-Jun-15 19:57:07

Neighbour in front of dd Aged 3 and dts as babies...'How lovely, (re dts) one of each. I bet you wish you'd had them first.' Meaning, I guess no need for surplus dd1 hmm.

Mil (where to start? grin) 'I'm sure I'd look much worse than you do, if I were you.' I think she was trying to empathise when I was struggling to cope with 3 babies. At least that's what I tell myself grin

Another Mil one at a family dinner when bil and wife had waxed lyrical for ages about the wonderful things they were doing to their house. 'If only you had a bigger house. I know! Why don't you buy a new shed!'

cogitosum Mon 15-Jun-15 19:58:07

I had a mmc the Friday before a bank holiday weekend and had to wait til following week for ERPC.

The nurse taking me to theatre 'did you have a nice weekend ?'

PandasRock Mon 15-Jun-15 19:58:12

When I announced I was pregnant with dc2, someone commented 'oh, how lovely, now you'll have a chance to be a real mother'

Dd1 has severe autism, and presumably didn't count as a 'real' child hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now