Talk

Advanced search

To ask if you have had an experience with an educational psychologist, was it helpful?

(62 Posts)
Daisymccleod Mon 15-Jun-15 13:02:51

I'm a newly qualified educational psychologist. Just wondered what people thought?

EmmaGellerGreen Mon 15-Jun-15 13:11:53

Congratulations. Yes, we found the Ed Psych input invaluable. DS struggles with concentration in a busy classroom and performs much better academically at home. The senco struggled to accept this (is a polite way of expressing what I mean) and the work that the Ed Psych did with him brought her round to the view that he is a very bright capable child. He suggested some interventions which were implemented and have worked brilliantly. Good luck!

Icimoi Mon 15-Jun-15 13:15:21

Congratulations also. Do you work independently or for a local authority or health authority?

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Mon 15-Jun-15 13:15:49

No. Yes. No.
But it was 30 something years ago.
I am guessing they have moved on since then!
Although, I am not sure why I was sent to see them. I had no real issues. This is probably why they weren't much help.
Good luck.
Congratulations on your qualification.
You might be helping my dd in a few years.

iseveryoneelsemadorisitme Mon 15-Jun-15 13:17:15

Yes and no. The ed phyc was great put loads of suggestions forward however school have not taken any of it on board. School , CAMHS and ed phyc all had very different opinions/ideas.

Kewcumber Mon 15-Jun-15 13:20:16

Kind of.

EP assessed DS for a number of things - Executive processing was very limited - I haven't seen the written assessment yet.

She carried out a course of CBT for his anxieties which was tricky because he has issues around memory when he gets anxious which make it difficult for him to recall his behaviour properly. However he was very good at thought balancing and I have found that the be very helpful. He was much calmer whilst he was having weekly session with her (for reasons I don't entirely understand) so it was certainly helpful whilst she was actively seeing him.

She did say in our follow up meeting that his emotional control/memory problems make it very very difficult for him to engage with further therapy so we're probably at the end of the road for now. But she does expect it to develop a bit more over the next 1-2 years (he's currently 9) and has agreed for the school to contact her again then to see what else might be done.

Overall it was helpful - the assessment was helpful. I would have liked more direction to the school as to the best way to handle him (inclusion manager agreed with me so she has contacted EP to request more guidance)

Not sure if that helps you?

rogueantimatter Mon 15-Jun-15 13:24:20

The ed psych who saw my DC was very good IMO. I believe that if my DC had been at a school with kinder teachers s/he might have managed without a referral to an ed psych though. S/he was subsequently diagnosed with slight aspergers and given suggestions by the ed psych. TBH I got the impression that the school didn't have much faith in DC's diagnosis and not much sympathy either. I got the impression that they felt they had done their bit by referring her/him to an EP, but couldn't really be expected to put her suggestions into practice.

So to some extent your impact will be affected by the school.

Shockers Mon 15-Jun-15 13:33:36

My daughter has had several EP assessments over the years. I had begun to lose faith because none of them seemed to notice how little she understood when listening to her teachers or peers.

However, the last EP was brilliant. He observed her over more than one session and noticed that her speech, although there was lots of it, was made up of a stock of phrases she was obviously copying from others. He also noticed that her meltdowns coincided with periods of confusion about what was happening around her- her negative behaviours were down to her frustration at not feeling part of whatever was happening because she didn't understand.

On his advice, her statement was revised and she moved to an SLD school (with the staff at her MLD school still insisting that the EP (and us) had got it wrong. Since she moved there, she is a different child... relaxed, helpful, good humoured. The best thing is, she is actually starting to learn because she isn't in a permanent state of bewilderment.

An astute EP is priceless.

Congrats OP!

Daisymccleod Mon 15-Jun-15 13:46:51

So helpful to read your responses and thank you so much for writing. I'm an la ep now and just really keen to be as helpful as poss to children families and schools. Sometimes I get confused as the agenda schools have seen to be to 'get a statement' but then I don't always understand what happens to the intervention s suggested. Overall I love the work but worry as a profession we are only seen as a tick box exercise on the way to ehcp funding. We can do so much more to help given time and obviously, funding

Daisymccleod Mon 15-Jun-15 13:48:54

Teachers, sencos, heads- do you find ep input valuable beyond the statutory process?

FishCalledWonder Mon 15-Jun-15 13:50:50

As a teacher I met amazing EPs and dire ones. The amazing ones would tailor their support and suggestions to the child in question; the dire ones would tell me to make a visual timetable and then go home.

gobbymare Mon 15-Jun-15 13:53:44

Not in the slightest I'm afraid.
The report written for my son only went on to say how my son is a wonderful caring loving boy confused which confused me as that was obvious to me and not at all helpful with me trying to get my Don a statement.
At the time I just wondered what the point of him actually doing a report if he was saying nothing about his daily struggles at school.

Daisymccleod Mon 15-Jun-15 14:02:12

Fish- yes I have met a few who seem to give limited suggestions- stress and workload particularly in areas with high need can sometimes burn people out I think.
Gobby, sorry to hear that. Have you considered contacting the service to talk about your concerns and the possibility of re assessment?

Daisymccleod Mon 15-Jun-15 14:03:20

Ps and thanks for all congrats- it was hard work getting it smile

gobbymare Mon 15-Jun-15 14:05:42

Yes its a very long story but I've bypassed the school as they are beyond useless and written straight to the director of children's services With the help of IPSEA ,which I found via mumsnet guess posts.grin

Daisymccleod Mon 15-Jun-15 14:07:17

Great gobby so pleased. Hope you get a good outcome smile I recommend ipsea to lots of parents, brilliant organisation

Daisymccleod Mon 15-Jun-15 14:09:09

Shocker- so pleased things went well and your dd got the right support

AliMonkey Mon 15-Jun-15 14:10:32

School and we have been getting advice from EP on DS's selective mutism. Has suggested different programmes and ideas to school and us and school has definitely been following the programmes. I have mainly found the meetings with EP that I have been involved helpful because they have reassured me that we are doing the right things and it is normal for progress to be slow.

I certainly think that when our school has a child with issues they are not as familiar with (or who is not responding as expected to the "usual" measures put in place) they value the input of the EP, and we certainly have.

Daisymccleod Mon 15-Jun-15 14:18:17

Great to hear ali.
in general I am feeling much more positive about the job thanks to the responses here

Daisymccleod Mon 15-Jun-15 14:19:34

Rogueantimatter- sorry to hear of your experience with school. Could the ep have been any more helpful for your dc? Anything more they could have done?

Daisymccleod Mon 15-Jun-15 14:21:13

Kewcumber- great to hear of ep therapeutic input was helpful. Did the ep give you material to do with your dc at home following closure of the intervention? Would you have needed that/ found it helpful if so?

Daisymccleod Mon 15-Jun-15 14:22:50

Iseveryoneelsemad- did you get a chance to have a meeting with all the professionals involved to get a common consensus?

Daisymccleod Mon 15-Jun-15 14:24:20

Emma- so pleased that the ep could support the senco and that the interventions suggested were helpful and implemented smile

Cancookdontcook Mon 15-Jun-15 14:26:34

I have experience of EPs as a parent and teacher. I think the calibre of EPs really varies. I have known one who is downright work shy and doesn't deliver what is promised, one who is superficially very good but needs a lot of chasing up at school end and a couple who are excellent.

In my area primary schools are only entitled to six half hour visits per term so there is a limit to what they can do in that time. However in my ds's case I thought her final report was very helpful.

I think they have a lot of expertise that teachers don't but I'm not sure if that is always utilised to its greatest effect. Also there are funding issues so there are limits on their caseload.

Baddz Mon 15-Jun-15 14:26:39

Not really.
She didn't tell me anything I didn't already know and the school didn't start any of the interventions with Ds that she recommended.
So I did it myself.
Should just have done that and saved myself £500 tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now