Such an awful Gumtree job posting it must be a spoof

(91 Posts)
LeopardIsTheNewBlack Mon 15-Jun-15 12:29:42

www.gumtree.com/p/live-out-nanny-babysitting-jobs/-live-out-au-pair-to-look-after-my-autistic-son/1118133617

First of all live out au pairs don't exist, secondly this job doesn't even come close to paying minimum wage and the poster sounds quite menacing! Please tell me this was a Mumsnetter -- with too much time on their hairy hands-- who posted this as a joke?!

babyiwantabump Mon 15-Jun-15 12:33:38

It is a terrifying add!

Sounds like some sexist pig wanting a slave not an au pair .

I doubt he will get any responses .

natwebb79 Mon 15-Jun-15 12:34:02

"This is an all-male household. We like well-cooked food. "

Pahahaha!

natwebb79 Mon 15-Jun-15 12:35:03

'Pocket money' of £130/week (6 days!!). I'm sold! :-/

WorraLiberty Mon 15-Jun-15 12:36:11

Blimey. I wonder if he can manage on a Sunday?

Perhaps he sends his son to the grandparents....

SunnyBaudelaire Mon 15-Jun-15 12:37:21

gosh £130 a week for 6 days a week!
That is not an au pair role btw.
the tragic thing is that someone will take it.
Mind you I do not blame him for sounding a bit firm about how his son is treated, with my bitter experience.

LaurieFairyCake Mon 15-Jun-15 12:37:24

47.5 hours for £130 - live out hmm

There is no one on earth who would do that

Moreshabbythanchic Mon 15-Jun-15 12:38:56

Live out and just �130 pw for a 6 day week!

LaurieFairyCake Mon 15-Jun-15 12:40:11

It's very easy to send an email berating them wink

LeopardIsTheNewBlack Mon 15-Jun-15 12:40:24

Even though I do appreciate that finding before and after school care for a special needs child is challenging at the best of times, why on earth would the " live out au pair" need to work Saturdays as well? She would already be working 12 hour days Mon- Fri, then I suppose to babysitting is unpaid?
I'm guessing the bloke' s wife left him and his mates down the pub told him to get an au pair...

Finola1step Mon 15-Jun-15 12:41:37

Goodness. It should be a wind up, but I suspect not. They don't seem to have grasped the basic fact that Au Pairs are paid a low wage because they live with you and pay no rent, bills etc. That is a part of their salary if you like.

It is a very odd advert indeed.

Pumpkinpositive Mon 15-Jun-15 12:42:52

(you must also be able to swim and actually enjoy swimming

God knows you wouldn't want anyone who is ambivalent about swimming and merely going through the motions applying for this job. hmm

What a cheeky, exploitative bastard this bloke is (if real). I feel sorry for his kid. angry

Gottagetmoving Mon 15-Jun-15 12:43:10

He wants a slave. No one in their right mind would do this living in, never mind living out!
Mind you,...mums do this for nothing.

Hoppinggreen Mon 15-Jun-15 12:44:17

Bloody hell, all those CAPS are very sinister, and why the photo of a scooter?
Is that what he will beat the AP with if her cooking isn't good enough?

ExtremelyStubbornAndSuspicious Mon 15-Jun-15 12:44:48

Poor kid though

WanderWomble Mon 15-Jun-15 12:45:03

I wouldn't send some randomer a copy of my passport. And he wants a clear photo.

NotYouNaanBread Mon 15-Jun-15 12:45:13

That's appalling. It's fine that he is looking for comprehensive help with his son, but that is a full time job and should be paid, what - £22k a year? More? (can't be bothered adding up the hours)

Anyway, you can REPORT on Gumtree - I just did, on the grounds that the role is exploitative and illegal (less than min. wage etc). Others should do the same!

angelos02 Mon 15-Jun-15 12:45:18

That is a low wage even if it is live-in! How could anyone survive on £520 per month?!

PenguinBollards Mon 15-Jun-15 12:47:00

"Thoroughly clean the house and do the laundry (this is one hour’s work at most). "

One hour? Is it a fucking doll's house? hmm

chippednailvarnish Mon 15-Jun-15 12:47:20

I'm interested to find out what a "trail month" is. I'm guessing you need to be able to hike with a broom clenched between your arse cheeks, sweeping as you go.

The last thread like this not only did some posters say that the abysmal pay was acceptable for "an immigrant" but the Gumtree poster then started posting trying to defend their slavery job offer.confused

PenguinBollards Mon 15-Jun-15 12:48:00

"A good sense of humour would be nice too."

PAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH. You're not kidding, mate!

fiveacres Mon 15-Jun-15 12:49:35

Someone I know had a similar set up: paid cash to the 'au pair'. Horrible.

Nabootique Mon 15-Jun-15 12:50:03

Ooh, have you got a link chipped? Sounds like a good read.

PenguinBollards Mon 15-Jun-15 12:50:46

I can't believe he's a single parent, though. Who wouldn't want this guy as their partner? He sounds reasonable, fair, pleasant, and he obviously really really cares about his son to want to invest so much in his daily care.

PintOfJohnSmiths Mon 15-Jun-15 12:51:09

Sounds like he would be a nightmare to work for even if paying a decent wage

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now